GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting around and bored decided to take a ride even though it is 32 degrees F.(I think that's 0 C for you metric members). Anyway rode about 20 minutes and the brakes seamed mushy. I would pump them and that helped. If I didn't pump they traveled a further distance. Is it the cold or possibly something else. Thanks for any help.
:biker:

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think you have water in you brake fluid and it is most likely getting mushy in the cold
As Rick said, time to change the brake fluid.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm confused. What does having water in the brake fluid have to do with the brakes feeling mushy. liquids won't compress. Usually mushy feeling brakes that need to be pumped comes from air in the line.

Water is very bad for the system due to the fact that will will boil when it gets hot and it causes all kinds of nasty things to happen to the braking parts, but I can't see how it would make the brakes feel mushy.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Doubt that the cold has anything to do with it as I ride in below zero temperatures and my brakes still feel fine. Sounds more as if they need to be bled of air. This would probably be a good time to flush the system with new fluid and get them feeling firm again.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Fluid will not make them mushy, but gas will. Problem with water in the lines is it turn to a gas at higher temps, and air is already a gas. But, because he has to pump, I would suspect an 0-ring is leaking by in one of the cylinders or the master cylinder. And those 0-rings deteriorate over time - an older bike may need a little maintenance in the brake department. Mine is an 01, and I just did it. Seems one of the 0-rings got a little brittle, so I changed them all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts