GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in finding out what gear you guys use for cold weather riding. I am mostly interested in non electrical gear due to cost.

Looking for advice on everything from footgear to full body gear.

TIA
:D

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Two piece snow mobile suit, insulated goretex boots from redwing, insulated leather gloves. Underneath I use sweatpants and denim bibs, and up to three denim shirts, uninsulated, medium insulated, and heavy insulated. I've been down into the teens on all day rides. You can find snowmobile suits used. I just gave my kid a set that I bought in 80 and they are still good.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
ponton said:
Two piece snow mobile suit, insulated goretex boots from redwing, insulated leather gloves. Underneath I use sweatpants and denim bibs, and up to three denim shirts, uninsulated, medium insulated, and heavy insulated. I've been down into the teens on all day rides. You can find snowmobile suits used. I just gave my kid a set that I bought in 80 and they are still good.

And you feel like the Michelin Man. :wink:

later...Randy

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The only combo that I use until it's time for electrics is, from the inside out, a tee shirt, a sweat shirt, a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, and a water-proof windbreaker. That combination keeps me comfortable down to ~35-40 degrees. The mesh under the windbreaker traps the air just like thermal underwear. I'll have a pair of mesh pants and rain pants by spring to complete the outfit.

I used to use a heavy, lined armored jacket for the cold and the mesh for milder temps, but those armored clothes are REALLY bulky. It's nice to only have to carry one set.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I've been wearing, Teknic {textile}ride gear with removeable insulated liners and insulated gloves for 3 yrs. and so far that has worked down to 25 degrees. 100% waterproof also. Just recently purchase Gerbings jacket and gloves, TOASTY!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
INTHEWIND said:
ONE WORD....GERBINGS.

later..Randy
I am mostly interested in non electrical gear due to cost.

Randy, which english word did you not understand.

:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Checkout, Iron Pony .com closeout sale! Very Good Priceing on Teknic Gear.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Boots, long-johns, jeans, and chaps down below. Sweat-shirt under a leather jacket. Leather gloves with liners. Scarf for the neck and top it with a full face helmet. Keeps me warm on my daily, early-morning rides to work in the low 30's. This is on a Honda V-twin with a windshield. I'd be able to ride in shorts and a t-shirt if I had a fully-quipped wing. :D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
http://www.justgear.com/winter/products ... 418MJO.asp

Here is the one piece snomobile suit. I was going this route also until I saw i could get the Gerbings jacket liner for only $60 more. The added piece is a "Walls" insulated bib overalls for the legs. Non electric and maybe $65 from Wal-Mart. Gloves were the Tourmaster Cortex Gauntlet $75, and the insulated Redwing Boots, $199 (i think).

You will need layers regardless what you wear. The Baker Hand wings will help keep your hands from getting frozen.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I layer underneath then go with Carhartt insulated bib overalls, a matching Carhartt jacket, insulated Carhartt sox in Thinsulate lined, waterproof steel toed 8" work boots, thinsulate lined, waterproof long gauntlet gloves from Berne Apparel. One VERY important item for me is a Schampa double neck gaitor. With a full face helmet it covers from your collar to the helmet. With anything else or no helmet it can be pulled up to cover ears, mouth nose and cheeks to the bottom of your goggles. They come in single and double layer for the same price;

http://www.bkment.com/Schampa/schampamain.htm

Probably the best ten dollars I've ever spent on cold weather riding gear.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Depending on the temp( I usually don,t ride below 10 degress) I use an Arerostitch one piece(not the best for cold temps IMHO) Gerbings jacket and gloves, add silk underwear,lined jeans,and sometimes a sweater. I wear Gortex insulated boots, and sometimes a Bacavva(?). This year the snow has given me fits, much worse than the cold temps.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Military surplus wool sox, sweat pants beneath Joe Rocket Alto Ego riding pants, silk baklava (that thing that fits over your head beneath a FF helmet, not the Greek dessert). :lol:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
And you feel like the Michelin Man. Cool! I always thought of myself as the pillsbury doughboy. We checked out the Gerbings,but they were as bulky as the snowmobile suit, and $1200 for both of us. Got the snow suits at Cabellas for $120 a piece on the sale rack. I work outside all winter so I just dress for work then pull on the suit. I carry a small suitcase on a pakit rack if it warms up.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Hi-tech thermals, layered. Something over it to block the wind.
Leather is a poor insulator and conducts heat away.
Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, you can't beat a nice little electric vest.
But if you insist, check the Sierra catalog for good thermals at off-prices.
Click Here for Sierra Trading Post

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I got a set of Knee-Necks from the Wife for Xmas. Just went for a ride in about 40- 45 degree weather. These fit ffrom the knee down and they worked great. They make some that are like chaps, and they velcro on, are quilted and waterproof. I just put them on over my jeans and with a leather jacket and felt Ok. I rode about 80 miles, if I wanted to ride farther would have to get some better gloves and some thermal undies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
South Carolina That is the best treatment, haven't had anything cold enough that heated seat, and grips haven't been able to take care of, YET!!!
I have done my share in Colorado's winter pushing through 4 foot drifts, with no windshield, Army field jacket, with liner, wool Army issue long underwear, BDU uniform, and Army issue gloves w/ liners. Pretty much the same in Kansas's winter, when my car couldn't turn over due to the oil being too thick (-20-30 below) MY doggone sportster started, don't know what the windchill factor at 60 mph is at -30 but got frostbit on that trip, only minor nerve damage, hence relocation to South Carolina, the lowest I have seen here is about +20 and 50 degrees by itself isn't terribly cold, but when it is the difference from -30 to +20, the difference becomes more apparent, LOL
The frostbit toes do get tender at +20 but it only lasts till the engine gets warmed up. :roll: :roll:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
jamccgowan,
Think layers, If it's really cold I wear thermals, fleeces, a balaclava,textile lined winter jackets by Mossi and Tourmaster Cortech lined denim jackets, usually just a pair of good ole blue jeans, and a good pair of Alpinestar boots, insulated gloves and socks. Works for me.

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Cost being considered, I would go with something like this. I bought one and then bought some Gerbings, only used my suit once for about 40 miles, but it works great and is waterproof. Couple of friends have one and they love it.

Check around, prices vary.
http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb.nsf/ ... endocument

I may be listing mine in the classifieds...don;t know yet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts