GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I searched for cold weather riding jackets and pants and didn't come up with what I was looking for. I have been looking at the Tour Master line of cold weather jackets and pants and wanted to know some of your thoughts and experience with Tour Master and other brands. The jacket I'm looking at is:
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product ... at=0&page=

The pants are:
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product ... at=0&page=

I'd appreciate any input as to what you've used and what works well. I'm not interested in electrically heated clothing at this point. That may change as I get older. I use my bike to commute to work (75 miles each way) and I'd like to continue that as deep into the winter as I can. Thanks, NRA

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought some Joe Rocket pants and jacket in 2002 for Fall and Winter riding and they will keep you warm , dry and give you protection . je

·
Registered
977 Posts
www.motoport.com

Ultra II Kevlar 2 piece suit with their insulated liner in the jacket only. I ride down to 25 F with only an additional sweat/flannel shirt below 32F, and no electric vest. Their 'MESH' style should be similar and provide better summer versatility. They have standard 'armor' in shoulders, elbows, forearms, hips, thighs, knees, shins BACK & CHEST.

I limped off the highway after a 65 MPH deer strike dismount, slide and violent tumble; with badly sprained ankles, blunt trauma knee bruise, which was broadly distributed by the armor and bruised side ribs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought a Cycloak Evolution winter riding jacket a couple of years ago to replace my old Tour Master winter jacket. The Cycloak proved to be extremely well made, waterproof with a GorTex liner, zip out inside insulation liner, outside dry pocket, rear glove pouch, various "stuff" pockets, and enough overlapping zippered and velcroed flaps to keep out the cold air at any speed, with protective padding where needed. I've ridden with it in weather as low as the mid-teens and felt very comfortable.

Sheldon
'04 Titanium GL1800

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
We've had the Tour Master Sport Touring jackets and bibs for a number of years and LOVE EM! I'm cold-blooded (old age don't ya know), but keep toasty down into the 30's without a bunch of layers underneath. I'm sure there are others just as good or better (and worse), but Tour Master makes some good stuff.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
What's your size?
I'm 6'5" and lift weights. The only jacket I've found that fits me is the JR Ballistic 4 size 3XL-Tall. Pants, FirstGear HT Overpants 36" length.

If you're an average size there's lots of options.
The Tourmaster stuff is coated polyester and the FirstGears are breathable.
From their website:
The jacket shell is constructed with a combination of 500 denier DuPont Cordura, 500 denier nylon and 1680 denier Ballistic Nylon, all with a Polyurethane coating for durability and water resistance
A waterproof, breathable barrier provides breathability without compromising the water resistant integrity of the garment

A breathable lining with a polyurethane outer coating is like pissing in the wind.
Just an observation.
My JR is constructed like the Tourmaster. If you open the vents, it breaths. Close the vents, it doesn't. I have to live with it until I can afford a Motoport or Aerostich Darien.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,684 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
..........all with a Polyurethane coating for durability and water resistance.......
Also, polyurethane will melt in a skid. BAD NEWS if there's skin touching that part of the garment. Melted polyurethane is as bad or worse than road rash.

Motoport garments do not have any polyurethane.

Wish you the best in your search.

Bob E.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I know you said that you're not interested in electric clothing yet but I urge you to reconsider at least a vest. It will help keep your entire body warmer than you might imagine. Electric gloves are a close 2nd.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
HT overpants, heated grips and an electric liner!! Depending on your tolorance for cold you should be able to ride all day down to 25 or so!!

Don't make the mistake of riding an hour and saying that your gear is good.. Your ability to ward off the cold decreases as the day drags on and can vary from day to day.. Never put yourself into a tight timeline in cold weather that will force you to ride after you are chilled.. Hypothermia sets in quickly and without warning (if you ignore the "chill")

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Personally... I'm waiting for the George Foreman brand of motorcycle safety apparel to debut. You know.. the kind with the comfort band waists & such? :D

But until then… I like the following:

Textile: FirstGear for ‘off-the rack’ jackets.

Leather: Vanson (‘off-the-rack’ or custom)

Electrics: Gerbings (again, ‘off-the-rack’ or custom)

Tom

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Go with the Tourmaster/Cortech. I've been using my cold weather pants/jacket for 5 seasons now and still going. I also use the Tourmaster cold weather gloves, GX air gloves for hot weather and SCARAB RR gloves for most protection. While I'm at in my Cortech Air Magnum leather perforated jacket with CE armour and removeable liner rocks!!
Tourmaster/Cortech is very well made, works great and lasts. Also check out the new Transition jacket.
Steve

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
75 miles one way to work is a pretty healthy trip but if u plan to ride much farther comfortably consider Gerbings heated gear, no more need to layer up, i have riden some long rides very comfortable down to zero with heated jacket linner, pants and socks

·
Registered
791 Posts
There are a lot of good brands nowadays. I've been very satisfied with First Gear/Hein Gerick stuff. I have two cool weather textile jackets, a Kilimanjaro and a First gear Tourtech. I got the Tourtech at Newenough for $115 and its even warmer than the Kilimanjaro which was almost three times the price. Both are absolutely waterproof and kept me dry through monsoon type rains.
Both have vents and removeable liners and can be worn in 70 degree temps comfortably down to the 30s when you have to add layers.

Pete

·
Registered
280 Posts
Or you could move down here to Southast Texas (I am sure that will get a large group of varied responses) Where we have about 3 days a year that it is cold enough to wear anything other that what you already own!

May not be the most economical solution, but Damn this place has some of the finest flatland ridin in the good ol' US of A!!!!!

LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
First Gear Overpants are well made and waterproof. I think that they are around $170. I found mine at a rally for a little less and have used them for 2 years.

I use an electric vest for the cooler weather, as it really does a better job than using layers. This is especially true for longer rides.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Another vote for Gerbing

1 - 20 of 29 Posts