GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:popcorn:With the weather soon to change, I find myself once again shopping for overpants.
Not many places locally to compare and I am not big on purchasing before trying for correct fit.

I have a heated jacket liner and just need some lower body protection.

So your experience with leather pants, overpants, and textiles...pros and cons.

Thanks Dave

·
Love The DCT
12,152 Posts
:popcorn:With the weather soon to change, I find myself once again shopping for overpants.
Not many places locally to compare and I am not big on purchasing before trying for correct fit.

I have a heated jacket liner and just need some lower body protection.

So your experience with leather pants, overpants, and textiles...pros and cons.

Thanks Dave
Riding in the 20's to 30's, Under Armour cold gear lowers, jeans, and bib snowmobile pants. :doorag:

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Dave have you considered something like Gerbings? I'm getting some custom made liners and they assured me that if they didn't fit they would fix it and also they are warrantied for life. I was lookin for overpants but I'm way too heavy and only have a 27 inch inseam so nothing fits in the overpants area.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Flannel lined blue jeans

I ride well into December and use these. You can get them at working gear or work clothes stores. you will need to wash them several times before you wear them as they are rather stiff when new. after awhile then will soften right up. I will get one waist size larger so the long underwear doesn't make them too tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I try to ride year around, but have to watch for the ice from the sprinkler systems that spray water on the road. I usually wear "Under Armour" pants and leather chaps in the morning, then the chaps are in the saddle bags in the afternoons. The coldest I have rode was 13 degrees, the hottest was 101. I am sure others have ridden far colder and hotter. :p

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I have a pair of ski pants that I wear over jeans. That combo is good for temps down in the 30's. Buy them at Sports Authority or similar during the off season (right now) for big savings. I got a nice pair for $35 bucks a couple of years ago. Hey if they're designed to keep snow skiers warm at below freezing temps, they'll work well on a bike.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I have a nice pair of Motoport riding pants. They have a black waterproof shell and a removable thermal liner. I bought them in like-new condition from someone on this forum, in fact.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Greetings!

I have a nice pair of Motoport riding pants. They have a black waterproof shell and a removable thermal liner. I bought them in like-new condition from someone on this forum, in fact.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
1+....A good pair of textile motorcycle riding pants with armor is a great first step and they will be good for year around riding. Then add the liners and/or electrics as needed. BTW, Motoport Kelvar are very good and while I've never worn 'em I expect a 'Stitch would work as well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
:agree:

It was over 100 here in Houston.

:eek:4:

Wish ya'll would truck some of that cold air up here... Was 108 in Carrollton yesterday.

Think I'm going to get about 2 tons of shrimp, call Guness then dump them in the pool.....Worlds largest shrimp boil!!

Anyone one want to bring the beer?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now if I can find a vendor in the Md, Pa, Wv area who has some outerwear I can try on and compare.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have the first Gear HT-1 overpants. They make them in short /fat sizes, which help me. Waterproof, full length zippers, lined (or not) knee and hip armour, Did I mention they have sizing that I can wear? Without having to roll the cuffs up 6 inches.. They could have gone fatter, but I was able to use the 42 shorts, event though when I bought them I was more like a 46 short. They are sized to go over pants, so if you just wear longies, you get a little more size forgiveness. I have worn them down into the mid-teens, wool socks, thermal undies, Gerbing liner & gloves.. happy, warm guy.

I think Motocyclegear.com (used to be newenough.com) is having a First Gear sale right now..

Another set I really liked the looks of was Olympia, but even with the ability to whack teh bottm 6 inches off the pants, I still didn't find a set that fit me well.

If you are hard-to-fit, Gerbing is a good choice, (got a set for my wife) or Motoport will custom make you a set.

YMMV,

=Dave=

·
Registered
650 Posts
It might get under 100 in the next month or so......brr

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Olympia motosports now sold on-line through competition accessories. Used to be sold exclusively thru BMW dealerships. Their sizing is based on current waist size and made to fit over your jeans (including with liners). Great product, just recently bought another set (not knowing when they might change lines). Have over 100K in my originals and not planning on breaking out the new for a while (also makes for a good diet plan).

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've also used flannel lined blue jeans, wonderful. If it's much colder a simple pair of long johns would be more than enough.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yup, looking forward to the start of my riding season and getting the wing ready. Doesn't cool off here until halloween. Supposed to hit 114 here today.

For our "cold" weather, I have thermal underwear as well as a nice riding suit for the really cold weather. Otherwise, just thick jeans and nice armored jackets. I do have a Joe Rocket Alter Ego. (You can unzip the textile panels making it a mesh jacket, it also has a rain liner.) The Joe Rocket works well as a year round jacket around here.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have Gerbing gear head to toe but this past year I bought a pair of Icon Patrol waterproof pants and if it isn't pretty cold I sweat while wearing them even without the Gerbings. I really like the suspender system that is removable if you want. I keep the suspenders connected and love them. I wish I could find some summer weight pants that are designed the same except with mesh. Here's a link. YOu may find them cheaper somewhere else. I wear the Hi-Viz.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/663161/Icon-Patrol-Waterproof-Bib-Overpant

1 - 20 of 27 Posts