GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that winter is approaching, my favorite route to work takes me through areas where the temperature is at, or below, the freezing level. How do those of you with a lot of experience in riding in sub-freezing weather determine when the roads are safe to ride on?
My concern is that some condensation might have settled on a section of road, and then frozen. Is there a way to spot these sections of road before you're sliding over one?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
13. There are two simple rules for riding smoothly and fast in snow and on ice. Unfortunately no one knows what they are. ( I took this from another post )

·
Registered
503 Posts
Riding in sub freezing temps. can be tricky in part due to black ice which is very difficult to see. I look for "glistening" pavement, metal expansion joints and bridges and overpasses. These areas are notorious for icy patches. If there has been any fog during the night or morning hours, and I will be going through areas with freezing temps., I take the cage. I also tend to ride more upright and don't lean over as much as usual in the curves and twisties.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. The only reason I take the "long way" to work is to ride the twisties in the canyons. Unfortunately, that's where the temperature is at/below freezing in the winter. Last winter, the bike I was riding didn't have a thermometer on it, so I didn't realize how cold it was out there. Now that I know how cold it is, I'm being more cautious.
I'll avoid the canyons when it's that cold.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Snow is sorta fun if you take it easy. Wet snow is easiest but can cake-up inside your fender and turn into kryptonite.

Ice is another story. Unless your bike is kitted with studded tires, avoid it like the plague. It's as squirrelly as cat-crap on linoleum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.