Discussion Starter #1
Any tried one.
If so which one?
Would it alter the EMC mixture signal

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thermostat

I doubt anyone would sell a colder thermostat for a Wing. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by doing this.

Your Wing engine is designed and tested to operate at a specified temperature, you do not want to change this temperature for any reason.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
An performance ECM tuner company Hypertech produced a "power stat". Theory was: Cooler tstat equals cooler engine, equals cooler intake air temps, equals denser intake air combined with enriching A/F mixtures and increased timing advance made more horsepower. I don't know if your out to lower coolant temps or make more power but with an non tunable ECM it might do more harm than good.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the Porsche(944) I would swap thermostate spring and fall.
Just thinking.
Also it seems that the wing has a narrow temp band from normal untill the fans would come on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not a good idea to lower engine operating temperature. There is no choke on a fuel injected engine --- the ECM looks at engine temperature by means of the signal sent by the temp sensor and compensates for lack of vaporization (cold engine) by lengthening the pulse width of the fuel injectors.

The net result provides an abnormally rich fuel mixture just as a choke would. As the engine temp increases and vaporization improves the pulse width is decreased gradually until the engine reaches full operating temp. Lowering the peak operating temperature would create an overly rich fuel mixture all of the time and fuel economy would suffer. Another possibility would be that a portion of the excess fuel in the cylinders could get by the rings and end up in the crankcase, contaminating your oil with gasoline.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
I think I'll just leave it up to the Honda engineers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wanted to change/test a gl1800 thermostat to verify that if travels full open, but when I saw where it was located I did not attempt. Just how many shop hours are allowed for an experienced mechanic to change one out? What kind of can of worms would a home mechanic get into?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts