GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow riders, on my quest to find a camper that I can afford right now I stubbled on a Coleman camper $500 owner says excellent condition and was made in the early 80's. It is 4'x6' when collapsed. He also said it sleeps 4, which has got me thinking how heavy is this camper? Anybody seen or had one of these. I am believing it is not persay a motorcycle camper but a small car camper and it may be too heavy to pull behind bike. Any thoughts or links to web pages that might clear this up. I can look at it next week some time it's only 3 hours away. I could bring 2 bathroom scales with me!! What's too heavy to pull behind bike ,not trike ?? thanks in advance camping guru's :thumbup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have never seen a Coleman made pop up camper that was light enough to pull behind a Wing. Ask the seller to give you the weight, It will be listed on the metal plate with the serial number, model number,etc.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Camper weight opinion help

Dudes story is getting better as time goes on. Now made in late 60's weighs little over 300 lbs. Still excellent condition and needs nothin to start camping. Having hard time getting together on time to see it. Looking for too much weight figure to haul behind bike. Opinions needed. If not comfortable posting pm me or email me [email protected]

·
Registered
905 Posts
I pull a kwik camp trailer, and it weighs in at 400lbs+....you definitely know it's back there, especially if you don't load it right and get your tongue weight in the right range...I suspect even if the Coleman camper weighs in at around 500lbs, the tongue weight will probably be the bigger issue for pulling behind a 2 wheeled wing...I believe someone on this site pulls a small coleman camper behind a trike however...

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys this all helps. Found a Napper II in my price range looking at Monday. I am sharping my Negotating skills on my wife right now :nojoke: most of the time I love a banker side of her ;) today :shrug: just wait to I get to beat up on seller ,he may just give me camper for free :lol:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hey fellow riders, on my quest to find a camper that I can afford right now I stubbled on a Coleman camper $500 owner says excellent condition and was made in the early 80's. It is 4'x6' when collapsed. He also said it sleeps 4, which has got me thinking how heavy is this camper? Anybody seen or had one of these. I am believing it is not persay a motorcycle camper but a small car camper and it may be too heavy to pull behind bike. Any thoughts or links to web pages that might clear this up. I can look at it next week some time it's only 3 hours away. I could bring 2 bathroom scales with me!! What's too heavy to pull behind bike ,not trike ?? thanks in advance camping guru's :thumbup:
Why do you need 2 scales? You actually need to weigh all three points to get the total weight. You just weigh each wheel load and the tongue weight seperately and add them together. Easy enough..

Jeff...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Why do you need 2 scales? You actually need to weigh all three points to get the total weight. You just weigh each wheel load and the tongue weight seperately and add them together. Easy enough..

Jeff...
It has to do with fulcrum's and such. If you want an accurate weight you need three, or you have to support the tongue and other wheel and move the scale...

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Math dudes settle down,my word, it's only camper weight not plutonium for the reactor I am building in basement :joke:

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Napper II looked at ,went home, shook head and will keep looking. Was too rough for his price. The search continues for a unit in my low price range. Maybe Santa will help out this year.:thumbup:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Napper II looked at ,went home, shook head and will keep looking. Was too rough for his price. The search continues for a unit in my low price range. Maybe Santa will help out this year.:thumbup:
What's your price range?

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's your price range?
$1000 max ,wish I could spend more but daughter in college and fuel high is killin this working Joe. Looking at another one hopefully this weekend $800 Travelite looks great shape. Tenting is still enjoyable so I may just keep saving and get a newer one next year :shrug: who knows ? I enjoy looking and meeting people so it's win ,win for me ! This way I see a lot of different models and really get the big picture!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah, finding one at $1000 will take some looking and patience...I know of a kwik kamp for 1500 in MN...if you're willing to go with something like the napper, you should be able to find something in that range, it will just take a while.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty sure the Coleman would not have worked well with a bike.
Good luck.
2 more to look at this weekend . One is a Travelite $800 other unknown brand, old but great shape $500 :shrug: we'll see

·
Registered
405 Posts
2 more to look at this weekend . One is a Travelite $800 other unknown brand, old but great shape $500 :shrug: we'll see
A lot of the older ones use canvas. Just be sure to inspect it carefully, as starting to rot canvas or cover spells either big bucks, or hard to replace.

MP

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A lot of the older ones use canvas. Just be sure to inspect it carefully, as starting to rot canvas or cover spells either big bucks, or hard to replace.

MP
Will do :thumbup: you camper dudes are almost as cool as Darkside board ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had this rig back in the late 70s. Bought the camper used, Montgomery Wards department stores sold them, I believe. It was as you describe, a little less than 4 feet wide, 6.5 feet long. The beds were plywood and attached to the sides with piano hinges, flipped out each side and there were pipe legs that unsnapped from them. The top was all canvas with 3 supports sewed in, and there was a door in the rear of the body with a zipper in the tent portion. It even had a zip-on awning that you could park 2 bikes under. Nothing but floor space when it it was open. To say it would sleep 4 is pushing it a bit, but I guess if it's 4 friendly people. It weighed about 300lbs and that 75 Wing pulled it easily....didn't stop quite as good. I didn't keep it long after I got into a sliding stop in the rain with it once. Nothing like having a trailer pushing you down the road.

Warren

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had this rig back in the late 70s. Bought the camper used, Montgomery Wards department stores sold them, I believe. It was as you describe, a little less than 4 feet wide, 6.5 feet long. The beds were plywood and attached to the sides with piano hinges, flipped out each side and there were pipe legs that unsnapped from them. The top was all canvas with 3 supports sewed in, and there was a door in the rear of the body with a zipper in the tent portion. It even had a zip-on awning that you could park 2 bikes under. Nothing but floor space when it it was open. To say it would sleep 4 is pushing it a bit, but I guess if it's 4 friendly people. It weighed about 300lbs and that 75 Wing pulled it easily....didn't stop quite as good. I didn't keep it long after I got into a sliding stop in the rain with it once. Nothing like having a trailer pushing you down the road.

Warren
That pix is awesome . I will take pix amd send them to you,going to look at that one described saturday ,maybe the same ?? I will talk to wife to see if she has a couple of friends ;):twisted: weight will be a factor of any purchase. I am handy enough to add trailer brakes though ,which I feel is a dang good idea anyway . Got a plan in my melon of hydraulic bike rotors that I have always wanted to try. :shrug:

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife wanted a camper we could pull behind our wing that had a kitchen. We took her 1994 Goldwing trike to a Colemen dealer and hooked up to the smallest one they had. It was so big all you saw in her mirrors was trailer. She actually pulled it but I was afraid she would tear up her drive train. She conseeded that it would never happen. I got on Craiglists and found an old 1969 Apache Chief. We went to look at it and it was in great shape. It has a cotton canvas tent and the room is bigger than our Aspen. She spent the weekend cleaning the canvas and waterproofing it. I polished the anadized alumuim. My electricial friend came over and we rewired to whole thing. She bought folding table, coffee maker, stove and a microwave. She took the bed out and replaced it with formica. it weights about 400 pounds empty and adds about 100 of kitchen appliances. I pull up with our Aspen and she pulls up on her trike pulling her kitchen. We are the talk of the rally

1 - 20 of 21 Posts