GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at maybe adding some color to my '06 Titanium (as seen in my signature pic).

I'm not a big fan of hand-painted pin-striping and saddlebag murals, even though I've seen some really nice work. I'm just trying to think what color would go good with the titanium and how to incorporate it.

To date... I've seen your standard titanium & gray from the factory, titanium & lots o' chrome, and a forum member (JohnnyReb) with a titanium & black. Here's his bike:

Overall, I really do like the subtle richness of the titanium... but I'm also thinking about customizing the bike tastefully with some color.

I guess the cheapest way to add color would be via my riding gear/helmet.

What say you... oh faithful readers?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
i have an '02 streaming silver and added '05 blue trim to my saddle bags, trunk, and fairing. Looks good.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've been looking to do something to my Titanium 04 model as well. I haven't seen anything yet that I like. This color is really hard to work with.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I asked this question a while back. I'd like a blue color. I can't imagine what it would look like though. I guess black would go with anything.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Titanium and Copper

Hello GLFlyer,

That titanium has an interesting edge or depth to it. I think your bike would look wonderful, classy and unique with copper accents. If it was mine, I would find a deep,metal flake copper and paint the lower front fairing much like the 2012 model, and put a dash of the same color under the black trim on the trunk and saddle bags. I wish I could use Photoshop to show you what I mean. It looks very sharp in my imagination.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Might be a matter of "how much is enough" or "how much is to much"...just like chrome.

Worth a trip to local custom hot rod paint shop and ask them for advise on a complementing color scheme.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have an '02 streaming silver and added '05 blue trim to my saddle bags, trunk, and fairing. Looks good.
Got a pic you can post? I'm picturing a Dallas Cowboys-ish motif. ;)

I've been looking to do something to my Titanium 04 model as well. I haven't seen anything yet that I like. This color is really hard to work with.
I agree... that's the main issue. Let me know if you come up with something... I have a feeling it can look really good with a secondary color, we just have to find it. ;)

I think a lighter silver would make a nice combination with that titanium.
I bought silver helmets and it is a good match. I think a deep silver metallic would compliment it well... however, I think that's the "obvious" choice. I'm trying to be just a touch unique. ;)

Hello GLFlyer,

That titanium has an interesting edge or depth to it. I think your bike would look wonderful, classy and unique with copper accents. If it was mine, I would find a deep,metal flake copper and paint the lower front fairing much like the 2012 model, and put a dash of the same color under the black trim on the trunk and saddle bags. I wish I could use Photoshop to show you what I mean. It looks very sharp in my imagination.

Ride safe.
I agree, and that "depth" is what makes it so hard to coordinate with... at least for me. I've been toying with the notion of something in the red family. I can kind of see what your talking about... with copper, I'd agree that it would have to be a "deep" metallic for it work.

Might be a matter of "how much is enough" or "how much is to much"...just like chrome.
Very true... I'm looking to just accent it and not go overboard. Titanium as the primary, an elegant 2nd color purposefully and sparingly placed, and a few touches of chrome to set her off.

Worth a trip to local custom hot rod paint shop and ask them for advise on a complementing color scheme.
Not a bad idea. We've got a lot of those here in DFW.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. If anyone has a pics of color combo's... I'd love to see them, even if they aren't titanium.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
686 Posts
I had the same issue in trying to do something to the '06 Wing ("Silver")...

"Black" is the only thing that I found -- other than someone else's pin-striping -- that 'worked'.

However, it's really very easy to go overboard, IMHO, with black accents to the Titanium color. The PCB/Titanium is a very nice color all by its lonesome -- with some limited chrome accenting and some touches of black.

Black:
Baker Hand Wings (drk smoke)
Lower cowl cover (actually did Line-X)
Lower exhaust covers
Lt side reservoir switch block

Chrome
Saddlebag lights (the chrome lens version)
Trunk lights (again, the chrome lens version)
Battery Battery box covers
Shark Gills
Fog light Cowl covers
Scoop trim
Fairing intake inserts

Initially I did the rotor covers, too. But I likely won't with the replacement bike.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've been thinking about custom paint or graphics for my Mineral Gray Excursion, which is very similar to Titanium/Stream Silver. Black goes real good with it, as well as orange and metallic copper with blue accents. I've also considered a two-tone paint scheme for the Wing, but it has been hard to come up with something that follows the lines and adds interest. The side of the bike is tough because of all the horizontal trim pieces. The paint/graphics lines would need to follow those.

Some examples of the color palate (I don't care for the graphics though):

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
If you know somebody with good Photoshop skills, take a picture of your bike on the center stand and have the Photoshopper try various color combinations for you. It's is very easy to paint and tint things with Photoshop if you know how.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Harley has a Cream color on some of the 2011 CVO Ultra's. I'm thinking maybe a small pinstripe. I want it subtle, but noticeable. Just haven't figured out in my head exactly where to put it. Very easy to go overboard.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm thinking of going flat black with mine.

Everything.

Tupperware.

Frame.

Engine.

Rims.

Chrome.

Everything.

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
It seems BLACK is the universal color that will match all colors

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you look in the for sale section I have a 2008 eurowing trike for sale. It is titanuim with a red stripe down the center fo the bike. I was also looking for a way to add some color.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I dont add anyting to my bike that is not a comofort or safety item, so I would not change the color of anyting on my bike.

I would rather spend my time and money on riding it.......

Just my $0.02

That said, I do admire people who spend time and money on tastefull modifications.

I do like the black acentts on the first photo in the original post...... nice!!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lighter color

The titanium tends to blend in with a cloudy/foggy day and makes it that much harder to see if you add in darker colors. The black looks good, but, aesthetics aside, I want to be seen by the minivan drivers on their cell phones since they don't seem to see us that well even in broad daylight. I would suggest a lighter accent color and the suggestion to photoshop it first is, IMHO, a good one. Food for thought.

Jim

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've seen this bike somewhere before,,,,,

Just about got her fixed up the way I want her.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts