GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using my new Colorado Official State Vacation Guide and Google Earth, I'm not getting the "real scoop". Please Help.

Time factor for leisurely trip from Idaho Springs to top of Mt Evans and back to Idaho Springs. ? Idaho Springs to Woodland Park is 2 hrs and another :45 to Manitou Springs. PP Cog train departs at 15:30 and returns at 19:00. Is this to much for two old people to cram into one day?
Is the Eisenhower Tunnel worthy of a photo tour?
Has anyone tried the Royal Gorge Train trip from Canon City.

TIA

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
A couple of years ago we, and another couple on a trike started in Boulder in the morning, did a short run up Boulder Canyon to the falls, back down to Golden to the Rail Road Museum, up the hill to Idaho Springs, Mt. Evans for a short stop (30 min.) at the top and ended up in Georgetown for the night. It was a leasurely trip except for the I-70 portion which we ran with traffic.

I would allow 2-3 hours for the Mt. Evans run. That would give you all the time needed IMHO.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bipeflier,

I'm afraid Cheri and I are trying to pack too much vacation into to few days! If we plan poorly, we'll be sleeping on WingNutZZ patio 2 days before Montrose. But.....she wants to do Mt. Evans! and the girls are always right.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Time factor for leisurely trip from Idaho Springs to top of Mt Evans and back to Idaho Springs. ? Idaho Springs to Woodland Park is 2 hrs and another :45 to Manitou Springs. PP Cog train departs at 15:30 and returns at 19:00. Is this to much for two old people to cram into one day?

Answer:
--Idaho Springs to top of Mt. Evans: ~27 miles to top, then ~14 miles back down to Echo Lake. I'd allocate 2 hours. Mt. Evans is a great ride.

--Echo Lake to Bergen Park via CO-103 ~18 miles
--Bergen Park to Evergreen via CO-74 ~4 miles
--Evergreen to Conifer via CO-73 ~9 miles
--Conifer to Pine Junction via US-285 ~7 miles
--Pine Junction to Pine to Deckers to Woodland Park via CR-126 and CO-67 ~48 miles
--I'd allocate 3 hours (lots of nice twisties on backroads)

--Woodland Park to Manitou Springs via US-24 ~14 miles (25 minutes)

Very doable! Get an early start -- if you head out around 8am you should have plenty of time for a nice leisurely ride!

Is the Eisenhower Tunnel worthy of a photo tour?
Not in my opinion. However, a very nice loop is to take I-70 to just before the tunnel and take US-6 over Loveland Pass (beautiful) then down the west side to Keystone and Dillon, then head back via I-70 and the tunnel (or do it in reverse).

Has anyone tried the Royal Gorge Train trip from Canon City.
I have not personally done this, but I have been told that it is pretty good. Although Royal Gorge Park (west of Canon City) is sort of a tourist thing and lots of people in the summer, it is pretty neat to see. I don't know what they charge these days, but the incline to the bottom of the gorge and taking the tram across the gorge, walking back from the other side across the bridge can be a lot of fun. Or, just ride your bike across the bridge with its wood plank flooring can be interesting also.

·
Registered
287 Posts
We did the Royal Gorge train trip a few years ago . It was a nice ride along the River with good views of the Gorge from the bottom .

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave and Bill,

We are coming to Colorado on 20 Jul 07 to do the "other Rides" and the Durango/Royal Gorge/Pikes Peak trains. Then got to get all refreshed to meet all the guys at Montrose. What a time this is going to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.