GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will be in your state (from michigan) from aug 27th till sept 3rd, what i was wondering is while riding around the mountains will i need more long sleeve shirts because of the coolness there or will short sleeves be all right. i think the weather should be around 80deg.
i have only so much room to pack, want to make the best of it!
we are going to ride the trail ridge rd., go to sturgis, needles highway, deadwood, mt. rushmore.
we are up for any ideas that you might have for rides.
we will be staying in fraser co. from the 27th till the first. and need some nice rides to take the ladys on while they are there.
thanks for any info

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
You'll want some long sleeves to layer. (unless you've got heated gear, then you good to go)

Mornings and evenings are cool but the rest of the day should be just fine.

Independence Pass, highway 82 from Twin Lakes (on 24) to Aspen or the other way is a great ride.

Check out the Rockies Gold thread if you haven't yet as there are a few select rides being posted there.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269514

Too bad you won't be here a week later as there is a PARTY going on then!!

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
It be cold in dem dere mountains!!!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
will be in your state (from michigan) from aug 27th till sept 3rd, what i was wondering is while riding around the mountains will i need more long sleeve shirts because of the coolness there or will short sleeves be all right. i think the weather should be around 80deg.
i have only so much room to pack, want to make the best of it!
we are going to ride the trail ridge rd., go to sturgis, needles highway, deadwood, mt. rushmore.
we are up for any ideas that you might have for rides.
we will be staying in fraser co. from the 27th till the first. and need some nice rides to take the ladys on while they are there.
thanks for any info
night time lows in Fraser are in the 40s so be prepared for that. Fraser is in a valley below the Continental Divide and cool/cold air typically settles in there.

The CO mtns is not a place to skimp on outerwear. Generally speaking, if it's not perfect summer weather in the high country you will need at least long sleeves, if not jackets. Also, be prepared for showers. Things change and can change quickly.

Even on my day rides into the Mtns from Denver and when I know what the forecast is SUPPOSED to be, I always have warm gear and rain stuff just in case.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You'll want both. The difference in temperature at various times of day, and at various altitudes is pretty substantial. Get up early in the morning at 10,000 feet, you may have frost. Midday, at 7000, it may be 80.

You'll surely need long sleeves or a jacket if you go out at night. When the sun goes down around here, it's as if a higher power turned on a very large A/C. Dry thin air cools fast. Fraser is usually cool, right now highs are in the lower 70s, lows in the upper 40s.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
if you are alone-you will have enough room to pack for all weather conditions-even if you have to use the back seat. if 2 up and a trailer-no problem either. 2 up no trailer--good luck!

you WILL encounter a large range of weather conditions/temps "in them thar mountains"!
BUT Great scenery and riding!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts