GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a ride Through Colorado and Wyoming using Butler Maps. Every route was Fun drive for me twisties and magnificent view for my wife on the co-riding on the back. Coming out of Lovleand CO. on highway 34 was a difficult ride because the view was freakin awesome but the twisties required me to drive and not gawk.
The Butler maps were worth the price. Good Job Butler maps!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Went on a ride Through Colorado and Wyoming using Butler Maps. Every route was Fun drive for me twisties and magnificent view for my wife on the co-riding on the back. Coming out of Lovleand CO. on highway 34 was a difficult ride because the view was freakin awesome but the twisties required me to drive and not gawk.
The Butler maps were worth the price. Good Job Butler maps!
Big Thompson Canyon (a.k.a. US-34) is an awesome ride. The way to do any Colorado road is "both ways". Ride it up, turn around, ride it back. Then turn around and ride it again. Takes a bit longer but three times the fun.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By accident I turned onto CO rd 43 AKA devils gulch. I was going to turn around but came across a sign saying "TRUCKS BACK UP GO NO FURTHER!" That to me was an absolute invitation saying "BUT MOTORCYCLES YOU WILL LOVE THIS ROAD!". So onward I went. I come across a dual switch back corner up hill and tight. That made the whole trip. I could have gone home and been satisfied. One corner! frikin awesome! The coolest switch back I have come across yet.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Here is a pic of the upper switchback in the upper pair of switchbacks. They are marked at 15 mph, but we all know that is just a "recommendation".

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thanks very much for the photo's, simply gorgeous. Really looking forward to Rockies Gold and TWO weeks in CO!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think 15 mph is about right, I did the first one in 2nd gear had to cross the line to keep the speed up, 2nd one I did in 1st it went alot better. I was headed to Estes. When we went over Slumgullion Pass I was told to be careful because of the switch back but it was nothing compared to the road up from Drake to Estes

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Those double "S" switchbacks are my favorite part of that road.

The co rider can reach out and touch the road as you go around the corners!

Can you say vertical twisties??

It's one of the nicest motorcycle roads around that area.

And the cinnamon rolls at the Glen Haven general store....

My oh MY!!!

I don't even take 34 into town any more.

·
Registered
318 Posts
A week spent touring Colorado in July and I'm heading back there in a couple of weeks. So many great roads.. From Montrose, heading east on Hwy 50, riding the Monarch pass is awesome. Just west of Montrose, Hwy 141 towards Gateway, another great ride, Hwy 550 towards Silverton.. and on, and on...

My 2012 Goldwing got its break in ride in Colorado! The pic below is on Hwy 141 towards Gateway.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Co-rider and myself went up these switch backs in second gear, I can honestly say I did not cross any lines white or yellow I did get RPM's down to 1500 I did consider (for about 1 millisecond) dropping down to 1st but feared as soon as I pulled the clutch I would have lost all momentum and would have dumped the bike and co-rider. And I can honestly say their is a pimple on the upholstery of my seat were I sat due to the pucker factor. AWESOME!
:agree:That the second hill went smoother.

I think 15 mph is about right, I did the first one in 2nd gear had to cross the line to keep the speed up, 2nd one I did in 1st it went alot better. I was headed to Estes. When we went over Slumgullion Pass I was told to be careful because of the switch back but it was nothing compared to the road up from Drake to Estes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts