GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about a road in Colorado. Let me know if you have any first hand experience.

Colorado Rd 129, north out of Steamboat Springs. I see that it runs north past a state park and then continues north towards the Co / Wy border. From there it runs west to Wy Hwy 70. Does anyone know if this road is open, paved, decent for riding.

Normaly I would not worry too much. The wife will be with me for 10+ days next month and I dont want to test her endurance on a gravel road.

Thanks,

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a question about a road in Colorado. Let me know if you have any first hand experience.

Colorado Rd 129, north out of Steamboat Springs. I see that it runs north past a state park and then continues north towards the Co / Wy border. From there it runs west to Wy Hwy 70. Does anyone know if this road is open, paved, decent for riding.

Normaly I would not worry too much. The wife will be with me for 10+ days next month and I dont want to test her endurance on a gravel road.

Thanks,
I do not believe it is completely paved between Clark and the WY border. Your alternative route would be to go east from Steamboat and take 14 to Walden. Then, take CO 125/WY230 north to Riverside/Saratoga. This will put you on the western end of WY 130, the Snowy Mtn. Range road, which is a great drive if you are headed to Laramie.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, now here is another question. What about Hwy70 from Grand Encampment west towards Baggs / Dixon?

On the WY site for road closures they list a Hwy70. Does anyone know if this is the same section or even if this road is worth the detour?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Jay, Wy 70 is closed, I have friends that live close to there, (Dixon) . They sent some pictures of bad road damage from the winter. Whole highway sections are wiped out. Didn't say when it would be open but I'll bet not for some time. I'm not sure if it would be open yet without the rode damage as they don't plow it in the winter. When it is open it is a MUST ride road. CR 129 from Steamboat turns to dirt past Hahn's Peak. It also has lots of damage. You could come thru Craig and then to Bagg's and see the wife and I. Maybe if the timing is right you could have a place to stay or a meal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts