GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I want to spend a few weeks in Colorado in September. What are the temperatures like during September and what are the mountain passes like then?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mid to late Sept. should be spectacular with the aspen starting to turn. Every year is a bit different. Expect mid 80s to 90s on the plains with moderate to freezing temps on the high mtn passes. I have run into rain, sleet, hail and snow above or near 10,000 feet (usually afternoons) . Early morning is the best time to navigate the passes. Watch the weather reports and plan accordingly. Storms roll in and out pretty fast in the fall.

To cover most weather conditions, I usually pack mesh gear, good rain gear, and my heated vest and gloves just in case.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Yep, Colorado is pretty awesome in September !!

Course it's awesome most of the year !!

Just be prepared for changing conditions during the day, it makes the ride more exciting.

We've been thinking about a ghost town tour in late Sept when the fall colors start.

You really can't go wrong any time of year here.

·
Registered
819 Posts
My wife and I want to spend a few weeks in Colorado in September. What are the temperatures like during September and what are the mountain passes like then?
My favorite time of year here. The tourist congestion is way down, and the weather (usually) beautiful.

Note that the day/night difference at altitude is larger than you're likely used to. Mornings will be crisp, maybe even below freezing. Plan to go over the high passes in the afternoon, so you'll be less likely to run into frozen patches. Snow up high can melt, run down, and freeze at night. Most all of the paved passes will still be open.

Figure temps from 30s/40s in the mornings to 60s/70s in the afternoon. Aspen (lowish altitude) - average high/low, 69/39. Leadville (highest major town), 62/32. Generally a dry month, but it's the mountains, snow is always possible.

If you have any questions about specifics, feel free to PM me. I've biked 95+% of the major paved roads west of I-25, most several times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts