GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its a little early but I am planning a trip to Colorado this spring or summer. Can anyone tell me the earliest I can travel through that state without getting into snow? I was thinking of early June. Going to superslab to Denver then ride the two lanes all around the state.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Actually you can get snow at the higher elevations any time if the right front from the north moves through. That being said, you will normally be snow-free from mid-June to the end of August. May and September can provide some great riding and scenery, but you might get some snow for a day or so if a front moves thorugh, but it will melt quickly. I love the last two week so September when the leaves are turning, but early June is awesome also as still lots of snow in the moutains (peaks).

For some riding suggestions, check out the link in my signature box.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wingnutzz, thanks for the info. You are probably one of the best people to get a reply from. I'm checking your link now, great stuff.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I was out there last year the last 2 weeks of sept and like dave said the colors were great . Cool in the am but warms as soon as the sun comes up. We spent the nite in granby after going thur rocky mtn nat park and next morn it was 26deg. By 10 am we were taking off clothes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i ride all year round in denver or east of the mountains. last thanksgiving i rode to palmer lake. if you want to ride in the mountains you can usually start in may. there are some riders who ride in the mountains all year round. you just have to know where you are going.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Colorado

I was out last year in mid-July and there was snow on several peaks.

You'll need to watch for storms/hail as much as anything it seems to me.

I'd go again in a heartbeat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts