GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Looks like fun.

Was Hwy-67/Phantom-Creek-Rd smooth the whole way, like as shown in the picture you guys posted? How about the bridges... could you pull a trailer across them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phantom Canyon

@ALEXB: Sure - the road, dry, is quite passable - bridges are no problem for either 2 or 4 wheel, so bikes with trailers shouldn't be any problem.

The issue is I'm not a master rider. I've gots lots of miles under my belt, but don't lay claims to excellence. That being said, I don't usually make stupid decisions and have therefore been lucky enough to avoid self caused accidents.

And this road took a LOT of my attention, focus, and intensity. Tiring for an old, lazy guy like me.

The kid, though; he's another story. VERY attentive to his riding. Knows when to be aggressive and when to back off. Not much of a risk taker. And I've put him in some very hot, very intense, very long days, both hiking and riding. For such a lazy a#$ at home and at school, he can buck up with the best of them. There's no one I rather ride with, to be honest.

I do suggest not taking Phanton Canyon Road alone. This is a place where if someone hits a pothole just right, fellow riders will be necessary to ensure a positive outcome for all.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
@ALEXB: Sure - the road, dry, is quite passable - bridges are no problem for either 2 or 4 wheel, so bikes with trailers shouldn't be any problem.

The issue is I'm not a master rider. I've gots lots of miles under my belt, but don't lay claims to excellence. That being said, I don't usually make stupid decisions and have therefore been lucky enough to avoid self caused accidents.

And this road took a LOT of my attention, focus, and intensity. Tiring for an old, lazy guy like me.

The kid, though; he's another story. VERY attentive to his riding. Knows when to be aggressive and when to back off. Not much of a risk taker. And I've put him in some very hot, very intense, very long days, both hiking and riding. For such a lazy a#$ at home and at school, he can buck up with the best of them. There's no one I rather ride with, to be honest.

I do suggest not taking Phanton Canyon Road alone. This is a place where if someone hits a pothole just right, fellow riders will be necessary to ensure a positive outcome for all.

Good luck!
Great report and you're very lucky that you're able to
enjoy a trip like this with your son. Memories that will never be forgotten.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My wife and I did the "other" challenging road right there....
Gold Camp Road.....it took 5 1/2 hours to go 35 miles.....!

It goes around the backside of Pikes Peak from Cripple Creek, to Colorado Springs. It used to be a train track!

Gravel and washboarded road......she was pissed!

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts