GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving next week with a friend for Colorado and using the roads below. Any changes, suggestions (places to eat, sleep, etc.), or roads on route to avoid?
1. Liberal, Kansas to Trinidad, CO mainly Route 64.

2. Trinidad to Durango via Highway of Legends to 160 then across to Durango.

3. Durango to Glennwood Springs via 550 to Delta then 133 to Glennwood Springs.

4. Glennwood Springs to Steamboat Springs via I-70 and 131.

5. Steamboat Springs to Estes Park via 40 to 34 (Rocky Mountain National Park)

6. Estes Park to Silverthorne via 7, 72, 119, and I-70.

7. Silverthorn to Canon City via 9.

8. Canon City to Walsenburg via 67 and 185.

9. Walsenburg back to Liberal, KS

It's about 1600 miles in four days. Looking forward to it and would appreciate any good advise for the trip. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
6. Estes Park to Silverthorne via 7, 72, 119, and I-70...
> Be absolutely sure to check out the tiny town of Silver Plume... within it, go to the Bakery (south end of the drag) and find the best bread in the universe!... often left outside (honor system) in a cooler on the curb, OMG
> Neat Victorian town, really unique.

> Also, just east of there, is the town of Georgetown... also a neat boardwalk of history.

> Further east still, in Idaho Springs, is the COOLEST mine stop you'll find, the Argo Mill... a Must See!!!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Check my website for several maps and lots of photos of the areas your talking about.

Good luck and ride safe. I'm jealous since I'm sitting here in Texas where today's high was 104.

See you ride up through Creede area on your Colorado trips. Love that area, but usually drive my pickup with two quads behind it and head up to the Rio Grande Resivoir area (35 miles or so above Creede on the way to Lake City) to hit the back side of nowhere. Take the fishing pole, a camera, and no itinerary.

Beautiful area!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Dont go to Colorado without riding up the highest paved road in North Ameria at Mt. Evans. We just got back and it is a great experience and the view from the top is tremendous. Take the camera and get some pics of the mountain goats at the top. The road up is a little intimidating but take it slow and enjoy it.

http://www.mountevans.com/MountEvansCom/Mount-Evans-About.HTML

Attachments

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Check this out:

I'm leaving next week with a friend for Colorado and using the roads below. Any changes, suggestions (places to eat, sleep, etc.), or roads on route to avoid?
1. Liberal, Kansas to Trinidad, CO mainly Route 64.

2. Trinidad to Durango via Highway of Legends to 160 then across to Durango.

If you like waterfalls, Treasure Falls is just west of Wolf Creek Pass on 160, you can see the falls from the pull out on the pass. If you want to hike up to the falls when you get down to the parking area for it you should expect about a 30-45 minute hike up and back with a 800 foot or so elevation gain.

3. Durango to Glennwood Springs via 550 to Delta then 133 to Glennwood Springs.

Take 550 from Durango to Montrose, (Home of Rockies Gold IV this September) from Montrose take 50 east to 92 and go around the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. From Montrose north to Delta on 550 is flat farm land and not very interesting. When you go thru Crawford on 92 be sure to wave at Joe Cocker as you just might see him out on the street as you roll thru town. At Hotchkiss you'll need to make a command decision to either take 92 to 65 and go over the Grand Mesa (the largest and highest flat top mesa in the world at over 10,000 feet) or hook up with 133. (be sure to tour the little town of Red Stone, watch out for speed bumps).

At Carbondale you REALLY should take 82 thru Aspen and over Independence Pass, If there are two must ride roads in this state it's MDH (Million Dollar Highway 550 and IP 82) That will drop you down into Twin Lakes and 24. Take 24 north to 70 and hook back up with 131.
The Hickory House on the west side of Aspen has some good BBQ if you're there around eating time!

4. Glennwood Springs to Steamboat Springs via I-70 and 131.

If you do go thru GWS, the 18 mile stretch of I-70 from there to Dotsero is hands down the prettiest, most awesome piece of interstate in the country worth 2 or 3 trips up and down it's length just to make sure you see everything.

As you travel north on 131 be sure to take 134 over to 40. this will backtrack you just a little but 134 is waaay nicer than 131 all the way north.

5. Steamboat Springs to Estes Park via 40 to 34 (Rocky Mountain National Park)

6. Estes Park to Silverthorne via 7, 72, 119, and I-70.

If you have time, take Devils Gulch road (co rd 43) out of Estes thru Glen Haven (stop for cinnamon rolls at the general store) hook up with 34 and take it back into town to join back up with 7. That may take an extra hour or so.
43 is just a nice little 2 lane blacktop that runs along the creek with little or no traffic and well worth the drive.
Be sure to take 6 over Loveland pass unless you just want to drive thru the tunnel, that will loop you around and bring you into Silverthorne.
Q4U is good BBQ right next to the A&W just off of 70 in Frisco, take the Dillon Dam road to get there.

7. Silverthorn to Canon City via 9.

On 50 just 3 or 4 miles west of Canon (canyon) City is Skyline drive. It's just a short one way drive that will take you into town. Entrance will be on the left as you go into town on 50.

8. Canon City to Walsenburg via 67 and 185.

9. Walsenburg back to Liberal, KS

It's about 1600 miles in four days. Looking forward to it and would appreciate any good advise for the trip. Thanks.
The red added text should help you out. If you have any questions just let us know. Have a safe trip and enjoy!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thanks Podo, your suggestions just made the printer and I'll be able to use some of your suggestions after Rockies-Gold:thumbup:

One of the things I enjoy most about this forum is getting the "locals" take on the best roads to enjoy and perhaps, the ones to avoid. When I only have two weeks to enjoy CO I certainly want to avoid the least interesting roads.

I want to take one day and spin into Utah for a quick look before heading back to central CO, need to get that state colored in on my map:cool:

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Thanks Podo, your suggestions just made the printer and I'll be able to use some of your suggestions after Rockies-Gold:thumbup:

One of the things I enjoy most about this forum is getting the "locals" take on the best roads to enjoy and perhaps, the ones to avoid. When I only have two weeks to enjoy CO I certainly want to avoid the least interesting roads.

I want to take one day and spin into Utah for a quick look before heading back to central CO, need to get that state colored in on my map:cool:
You're welcome Jon, hope to meet you when you get to Denver so we can show you some of the great roads in the foothills.

And we cheated with Utah, we went to the 4 corners and got them all at the same time!!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

West of Colorado City, on 165, is Bishops Castle. Worth a look!! Google it!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've been on most all those roads your taking at one time or another and it's some of the best riding country there is. You'll have a fantastic trip. Enjoy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help. To make things better, I'll be taking the trip on my new Red 2012. Just bought it 721-11 from Shawnee Honda in Shawnee, OK. Great folks to deal with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We had a great ride through the mountains of Colorado. We rode about 1,800 miles round trip from Kansas to Colorado and back. We really enjoyed the MDH and 82 out of Aspen. Can't wait to do it again in September.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts