GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on Rte 550 numerous times and have enjoyed it. I am leading a group of people out to Colorado/Utah next year and would like to give them the best trip possible. Is Rte 145, between Keystone and Lewis, a good substitute for 550? For me it might be but for them I am not sure. How do the two roads compare?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Went over 145 about 15 years back and what I remember is it being very curvy. Some pretty country to see but would probably be more scenic over 550. JMHO:doorag:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you have time do both. 550 is more spectacular and twisty. There is also more traffic as 550 (a.k.a. the Million Dollar Highway) is quite famous.

145 has sweepers but not a lot of twisties. The scenery here is majestic, especially around Trout Lake and Lizard Head Pass.

Stay two nights at Ouray, Durango, or Montrose and take the full loop. Stay three nights and do the loop in both directions. It's like riding two different rides as the scenery looks very different from each direction. What ever you do, you cannot go wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts