GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I will be taking a trip at the end of next month and traveling from
Umatilla to Hood River and just have one question.
What would be the better, most scenic road to travel between these two towns, Hwy 14 on the north side of the river or I84 on the south side ?
Thanks, Don.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Used to live in Hermiston, Oregon. Just up the road from Umatilla.

The north side through the Gorge is the most scenic. Take all the way to the coast, then go down the coastal highway, redwoods, curves, hills, and the ocean on your right. But you are not going that far.

Heck go one way, come back the other. If one way, go the North side.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Either side yields the same scenic qualities IMHO. The road on the North side is the main reason for going that way. I 84 is a busy and heavily travel trucking route so if you like that kind of riding use 84.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Hello,
I will be taking a trip at the end of next month and traveling from
Umatilla to Hood River and just have one question.
What would be the better, most scenic road to travel between these two towns, Hwy 14 on the north side of the river or I84 on the south side ?
Thanks, Don.
Don, I just spent three weeks in that area riding with a friend from White Salmon (across the river from Hood River). By all means, Hwy 14 is the most scenic. If you need to make better time, take I-84, but if you want scenery, take 14. There are some good Wineries along the way and there is a nice rest area just West of Lyle. It's a nice stop for picture taking. I hated to leave because there is so much great riding in the Columbia Gorge area. Have fun!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Columbia river from Portland to Maryhill Winery

My local run from the Portland area is as follows.

Old Columbia River Highway, Turn in at Troutdale 84 exit 17 or Corbett exit 22
http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/historic_columbia_river_highway.pdf
some tight turns and fabulous views at Crown Point as well as many falls including
Multnomah Falls (Coffee).

Continue until exit 35 into US 84 to Cascade Locks. Cross over The Bridge of The Gods for $.50. Stevenson (Lunch). Gas in White Salmon.

Drive WA14 to at least the rest stop after Lyle WA. For a great view rest and windy comfort.

Return on WA14 to Vancouver WA. Stop at Cape Horn and Wind Surfing spots along the way to watch the action.

ALT Rides 4: You may like to cross the river in the Dalles instead , head over to Rowena "Curves". Back to US 84, Bridge of the Gods or Back over the Old Columbia River Highway going the other Way.

Day Rides on a wing.

Alt ride 1, Wind River to Cougar WA (eat or camp at the LONE PINE).
ALT 2 ride too Washougal River Road before Cape Horn WA14.
Alt Ride 3. Cross bridge at Hood River and OR35 around Mt Hood

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
164 Posts
Thanks for your posts.. does it matter in which direction one travels this area.. I am heading up to Canada and am wondering if i should do the Columbia River going to Canada or on my return trip to California. Would appreciat your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
510 Posts
IMHO the time of year you plan to travel is the key. So if it is going to be early spring I would go South to North. If in the summer it should be a great ride what ever way you go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts