GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you may be doing, I'm going to be doing some riding this Columbus Day weekend. My intent is to get out of Jacksonville Friday and overnight at my mother's house just north of Athens, GA. From there it's a crap shoot. I could go north into TN & NC to ride that area, but I've been up in that area on two previous trips. I've ridden the Dragon, Cherohala, and the BRP as far as Asheville.

What I'd really like to try is to shoot up to WV and ride the southern half of that state. I've posted on WV's sub-forum for local advice, but would like to hear from the general forum folk...
1) What other great roads would be good to ride if I stayed in TN/NC?
2) Is riding as far as WV worth it?
3) What is a good scenic route if I go up that far?
4) Lodging...cheap but clean...in both areas, any suggestions?

Lastly, I'll be solo this trip as my bride has to work :frown:, so if anyone is going to be in either of those areas, I'd love some good company!

Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
479 Posts
you might try hwy106 out of Athens to Toccoa, then take 123 to Westminster, SC then 183 to Walhalla where you can take hwy28 toward Cashiers or continue on 183 to hwy11 and go north from hwy 11 any road that turns left will have a lot of twisties as it climbs the mountain, check out table rock, ceasers head and lots of historic places and waterfalls and not very much traffic. Hwy 28 is also known as Hellbender28 from Walhalla to Deals Gap and a GREAT ride. Would like to meet and ride with you but have too much going on this weekend. Hope you have a great ride! Kenneth

1 - 2 of 2 Posts