GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2004 Goldwing, the meter panel seems to have failed. I first noticed it when on a ride and the LCD panel was blank. I've followed the trouble shooting section of the manual and all checks for power and ground to the connections on the 20p blue connector that goes to the back of the combination meter match per the manual. I've checked it all several times and keep getting the same results that connections are good but the combination meter panel is not functional. I have the bike stripped down so I could get at the back of the meter panel to perform the checks from the manual. This is a $900 replacement part so I'd like any suggestions to further validate that replacement is the only option. I did look on eBay where there were a couple listed but decided that I didn't want somebody else's problems. So, if necessary I will buy a new replacement. I'm not happy but I'm not too upset since this is the first major failure of this type after 17 years and 150,000 miles. I did also check the 3 switch unit that controls the LCD.

Thanks in advance for any helpful guidance. I've been impressed with all the help on this forum. I've been especially impressed with TechDude's assistance and hope he can offer some comments. But of course I welcome all helpful input.

Here is some more info that might help with analysis of my problem: the tachometer works, temp gauge and fuel gauge work, the headlight dimmer works as does the on off reverse switch. The side stand indicator works. I checked carefully fuses 21 and 22 and related relays and they are good. The turn signal indicator works as does the neutral indicator and the high beam indicator works..

What does not work is the LCD screen. It does not show any info and does not seem to have functional backlight. The lights for the instruments does not seem to be working. The three button control switch from the meter panel does nothing. Oh and the clock does not work.
Thanks again for any assistance.

·
IronMan
18,062 Posts
THEY MAKE AFTERMARKET SCREENS ABOUT $120 I THINK GOOD LUCK

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,723 Posts
On my 2004 Goldwing, the meter panel seems to have failed. I first noticed it when on a ride and the LCD panel was blank. I've followed the trouble shooting section of the manual and all checks for power and ground to the connections on the 20p blue connector that goes to the back of the combination meter match per the manual. I've checked it all several times and keep getting the same results that connections are good but the combination meter panel is not functional. I have the bike stripped down so I could get at the back of the meter panel to perform the checks from the manual. This is a $900 replacement part so I'd like any suggestions to further validate that replacement is the only option. I did look on eBay where there were a couple listed but decided that I didn't want somebody else's problems. So, if necessary I will buy a new replacement. I'm not happy but I'm not too upset since this is the first major failure of this type after 17 years and 150,000 miles. I did also check the 3 switch unit that controls the LCD.

Thanks in advance for any helpful guidance. I've been impressed with all the help on this forum. I've been especially impressed with TechDude's assistance and hope he can offer some comments. But of course I welcome all helpful input.

Here is some more info that might help with analysis of my problem: the tachometer works, temp gauge and fuel gauge work, the headlight dimmer works as does the on off reverse switch. The side stand indicator works. I checked carefully fuses 21 and 22 and related relays and they are good. The turn signal indicator works as does the neutral indicator and the high beam indicator works..

What does not work is the LCD screen. It does not show any info and does not seem to have functional backlight. The lights for the instruments does not seem to be working. The three button control switch from the meter panel does nothing. Oh and the clock does not work.
Thanks again for any assistance.
So, the backlighting for the speedo and the other gauges is dead too? Let me look at some schematics, be back soon.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,723 Posts
Ok, are you sure you have good power at the C connector on the back of the gauges on pin #7, light green/black wire? This powers the Illumination unit inside the gauge assembly that controls the gauge lighting and back lighting of the LCD.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, are you sure you have good power at the C connector on the back of the gauges on pin #7, light green/black wire? This powers the Illumination unit inside the gauge assembly that controls the gauge lighting and back lighting of the LCD.
Hi TechDude,
Glad you are here helping. I've checked this voltage with the key on several times as part of the troubleshooting routine in the manual and always saw good results. I just went out and again checked the voltage at the battery, at the fuse, at the relay and at the green/black wire at the back of the gauges. All points read the same voltage as at the battery, approx 12.05 volts. Still no illumination showing on the gauges or on the LCD.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,723 Posts
Hi TechDude,
Glad you are here helping. I've checked this voltage with the key on several times as part of the troubleshooting routine in the manual and always saw good results. I just went out and again checked the voltage at the battery, at the fuse, at the relay and at the green/black wire at the back of the gauges. All points read the same voltage as at the battery, approx 12.05 volts. Still no illumination showing on the gauges or on the LCD.
Ok, so you didn’t mention the speedo, does it work?

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so you didn’t mention the speedo, does it work?
The speedo does not work. Bike is on a lift I shifted it into second gear, and first, then ran it up to what think was 20mph. No movement on speedo. However the tach does work as expected.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,723 Posts
The speedo does not work. Bike is on a lift I shifted it into second gear, and first, then ran it up to what think was 20mph. No movement on speedo. However the tach does work as expected.
Ok, this leads me to think it is the gauge assembly. The tail light power runs the tach and speedo, so if one is working so should the other one work. The same power is shared to the illumination controller that runs the LCD backlight as well as the gauge lighting. I think you should pull the gauge assembly off of the bike and take it apart to see if there’s any visible damage or obvious connection issues with the circuit board and the header pins at their solder points. Look for anything else that’s seems burned, cracked, or loose.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, this leads me to think it is the gauge assembly. The tail light power runs the tach and speedo, so if one is working so should the other one work. The same power is shared to the illumination controller that runs the LCD backlight as well as the gauge lighting. I think you should pull the gauge assembly off of the bike and take it apart to see if there’s any visible damage or obvious connection issues with the circuit board and the header pins at their solder points. Look for anything else that’s seems burned, cracked, or loose.
O.K. will do. Thanks for ongoing guidance.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We disassembled the bike more completely so that the Combination Meter could be removed. After doing that we tested the meter again by hooking up all cables, power and ground, and the audio unit. We were able to get the FM radio to work and we believe the CB was working but not in the garage, but nothing showed on the LCD screen.
So, it appears that parts of the CombiMeter were working and some functions were not. We than disassembled the unit and on close inspection with a magnifying glass were not able to see any obvious problems such as burn marks or broken connections, Another development is that there are no new MeterCombination,Assembly units available through Honda to order new. As a result of the current circumstances I will review the uses units available through eBay or any other place I can find. One other small advantage of following the used part path is that many of the eBay listing do state a 30 day return guarantee so could be sent back if not functional, where as buying a new unit from Honda is not possible id we find that the cause of the problem is something other than the ComBiMeter Assembly.
Comments and suggestions welcome
Here pictures of the disassembled bike and the taken apart CombiMeter.
IMG-7178.jpg
IMG-7176.jpg
IMG-7177.jpg

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,723 Posts
Is it just the angle or is the area next to the blue connector darker than the rest of the board? If it is darker, that may be due to an overheated part on the opposite side of the board. It’s really sad that no one has ever found or released the schematics for these gauges. Just a word of caution with the ebay unit’s. Don’t buy any that look like they have had their mounting posts glued in place. This means they were in a wreck that really beat up the gauges and the fairing and may have issues from it. I noticed one on there that had black ABS cement around the mounting posts, not good. The schematics for the bike show the same wires going to the same places on all years 02-05. Now based on that, all the years should be interchangeable, but obviously Honda made new part numbers for each year for a reason, but like the engine ECMs there’s at least three years (03-05) that are interchangeable even though Honda calls for different part numbers for them. Once you get your bike going again, I would be willing to pay for the shipping to get my hands on your old gauges to dig in further to see if I can figure out where the failure is. I’m going to go look for a gauge set on eBay. One note, you didn’t mention whether you had ABS or not, but that is a difference on the gauges. The schematics don’t indicate a change to the wiring, but there is two different part numbers based on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts