GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Silver & Black Bagger DCT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

If they made this exact bike, with a factory top box quick release (or even a slow release) option that looks decent, I’d go buy one tomorrow. Been looking at a K1600B Grand America and they have a quick removal kit (a 3rd party) for the top box that makes it look factory.

Of course, I doubt I’d find one since there is ONE DCT Tour available within a 150 mile radius of me and NO K1600B’s within 250 miles.

Basically, I’d love a bagger when I’m by myself, and a tourer with my wife.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Traxxion Dynamics has a conversion kit that makes it quick change.

Honda's supplies kits to convert tour to bagger or bagger to tour -- but they aren't 'quick change'

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Honda sells the matching trunk and as stated Traxxion the kit to make it happen in 10 minutes. Figure roughly $2000-$2200. Make sure you research stability issues and are satisfied before buying the Grand America, I have no opinion on the matter.

I had a deal on a 2020 Grand America before BMWs Stop Sale last month. I was willing to buy the GA regardless of issues but after more thought I would go with a GTL if I were moving to the BMW camp or maybe even a new R1250RT

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

If they made this exact bike, with a factory top box quick release (or even a slow release) option that looks decent, I’d go buy one tomorrow. Been looking at a K1600B Grand America and they have a quick removal kit (a 3rd party) for the top box that makes it look factory.

Of course, I doubt I’d find one since there is ONE DCT Tour available within a 150 mile radius of me and NO K1600B’s within 250 miles.

Basically, I’d love a bagger when I’m by myself, and a tourer with my wife.
Well Sir,
Can't help much with what you're asking for or have ideas on. But, I'm an old Winger from decades and decades of Wing piloting. I traded in my 5th Wing, an '08 Level II with only 38K on the clock, just over a year ago on a brand new, 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT. I love that bike tremendously. But, both the wife and I miss the luxury of the Wing.

So, long story short. I began looking for a potential Wing, of course with the DCT. But, to be honest, in my time of life and income bracket, even an '18 Wing with the DCT, with anywhere from 5,000-10,000 miles, was and is, out of my price range. I'm just not in a position to spend that much. And, I ain't going into PAYMENTS at almost 69 years old, AIN'T HAPPENING!

So, I thought, "What else is out there that my fill the void"? Somehow I triggered myself to begin looking at the BMW K1600. Hmmmm, I thought, not bad, not bad. I dove into it with both feet. I'm not a Bagger type guy. I prefer the full setup. So, after looking all over the U.S. for a specific model, the K1600 GTL "Exclusive", I found one about 280 miles from me. It's a 2015 with 20K on the clock. It's Mineral Pearl White with Magnesium Matt accecents. I love that bike. It's phenomenally smooth, just like a Wing.

And, IT'S A ROCKET!!!!!!!!!!! That bike is PHENOMENALLY FAST. I don't need that kind of speed but, it's fun to throttle on every once in a while. Anyway, good luck on your search for your desired equipment.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Don't know where are you located but a friend of mine will be selling his 2013 BMW 1600 GTL soon. I'll be happy to connect you guys. We are in central Virginia.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honda sells the matching trunk and as stated Traxxion the kit to make it happen in 10 minutes. Figure roughly $2000-$2200. Make sure you research stability issues and are satisfied before buying the Grand America, I have no opinion on the matter.

I had a deal on a 2020 Grand America before BMWs Stop Sale last month. I was willing to buy the GA regardless of issues but after more thought I would go with a GTL if I were moving to the BMW camp or maybe even a new R1250RT
Just curious. Why the GTL vs. the GA?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Before making the decision I would definitely ride both models and make my own determination. Spending time on the K1600forum made me at least ponder the stability issues of the Grand America.

The only benefit of the K1600 over the Wing I see that pertains to ME is the acceleration, well storage as well. But reliability and dealer network of the Honda trumps those issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before making the decision I would definitely ride both models and make my own determination. Spending time on the K1600forum made me at least ponder the stability issues of the Grand America.

The only benefit of the K1600 over the Wing I see that pertains to ME is the acceleration, well storage as well. But reliability and dealer network of the Honda trumps those issues.
I’d love to take either for a test ride. The problem is there is NO inventory (especially for the BMW) anywhere near me (Northeast Ohio). I miss the days of randomly going to the dealer and seeing 10 different options of every bike they sell.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just curious. Why the GTL vs. the GA?
I do not have either beemer however I've read that the GA is speed limited due to stability issues above a certain speed. I think the limit is 100mph but recommend you research this. now, if the limit isn't an issue for you that model looks fine to me. I'm sure on the GTL (and the Wing) you can find yourself doing triple digits without realizing it. because of the limiter I'd only look at the GTL. fyi. BMW had tranny issues beginning late '17 so be sure any used 1600 you look at has had the recall addressed

·
Love The DCT
12,696 Posts
I do not have either beemer however I've read that the GA is speed limited due to stability issues above a certain speed. I think the limit is 100mph but recommend you research this. now, if the limit isn't an issue for you that model likes fine to me. I'm sure on the GTL (and the Wing) you can find yourself doing triple digits without realizing it. because of the limiter I'd only look at the GTL. fyi. BMW had tranny issues beginning late '17 so be sure any used 1600 you look at has had the recall addressed
The GA is speed limited to 101 mph. Here is the explanation from BMW.

”According to BMW’s official press release for the Grand America, “Based on the principle of ‘The American Way of Riding,’ the top speed is limited to 162 kmh or 101 mph. This takes into account the fact that customization with additional fittings in the rear section—as is popular in this vehicle segment—can impact significantly on wheel load distribution, so in terms of riding dynamics, stability and safety are guaranteed in all situations.”

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

”According to BMW’s official press release for the Grand America, “Based on the principle of ‘The American Way of Riding,’ the top speed is limited to 162 kmh or 101 mph. This takes into account the fact that customization with additional fittings in the rear section—as is popular in this vehicle segment—can impact significantly on wheel load distribution, so in terms of riding dynamics, stability and safety are guaranteed in all situations.”
Yeah. My days of going over 100mph on a bike are done. Lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yeah. My days of going over 100mph on a bike are done. Lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.