GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on riding from Chicago to Prescott, Az. in June. I want to make it there in 4 days, approximately 1800 miles. I'm looking at 450 miles/ day. Is that too many miles to ride comfortably per day on the wing? Also, how many hours per day (ball park) am I looking at riding? As you can tell, I haven't taken any long trips yet. :oops:

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
TOMMY
If you get your self the new 07 wing like you are talking about you could make it in 2 days or 3 easy days.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I find the most tiring thing is the buffeting by the wind on interstate highways. Both cars and especially 18 wheelers throw off a rough wake. On busy highways they are hard to avoid. I you want a more enjoyable trip, I would try to plan a scenic route using back roads when possible. The wind is smooth and the scenery is better and more interesting. Take your time and have fun going the way less traveled.

P.S. Be sure and get a backrest.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It works out for me that if you want to do 450 mile days, you can figure an average speed, considering rest and fuel stops and meals, about 50 mph. That would be about a 9 hour day. That is a very relaxed pace.

However...if you have never done a long trip, I would recommend doing several 200-250 mile round-trips around home before you leave to get the butt conditioned. Some of the other guys/gals may have suggestions also.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks WBOSPL, I am looking for a relaxed pace. Do you recommend making hotel reservations prior to going on the trip or just pull over and find a place to stay when you're done riding for the day?

·
Registered
42 Posts
WB0SPL said:
It works out for me that if you want to do 450 mile days, you can figure an average speed, considering rest and fuel stops and meals, about 50 mph. That would be about a 9 hour day. That is a very relaxed pace.

However...if you have never done a long trip, I would recommend doing several 200-250 mile round-trips around home before you leave to get the butt conditioned. Some of the other guys/gals may have suggestions also.

I'll vote for that as well. I was glad that I'd done several 400+ mile days on my vtx before I took my FZ1 from Fort Worth to nashville more than half way in the rain in one day. .... that sucked. conditioning and prep for big trips is key.

Plan what you'd like to eat as well, and stay hydrated. good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
northern arizona

I just drove from colorado back to arizona after a elk hunt in november.
Actually Prescott is my home down. Keep in mind there are a lot of real wide opened spaces on I40, and you can go quite a ways without running into much. I would do a route via the computer and use mapquest.
I would try to estimate my daily ride and where that would put me at the end of the day. Then I would look for the kind of lodging I would find.
I often kid going up to southern utah north of the navajo res. I keep expecting to hear dualing banjo's, and "squeal like a pig."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Prescott

I might add that july 4th is a big time in prescott, where they still old a rodeo. Lots of cowboy stuff, streetdances, lots of people. It is pretty neat, but then I am biased.

·
Registered
147 Posts
450-500 miles is a good steady paced 8 hour kind of day. I've done several 700+ days which are more difficult but can be done if you press it.

Back roads are a whole lot more fun than the interstate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gumpy, my father just moved from Chicago to Prescott Valley and I thought what a perfect way to break in a new wing but to ride it out to Prescott Valley to visit. I40 is the route I planned to get out there. It seems as if it is a direct route.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Plan your trip around your gas stops. Say stop every 120 miles (2 hours ride time) eat, rest etc. I do not make reservations unless it is a holiday because I can ride untill I need to stop for the night. Just my thoughts :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like that idea Old Grumpy...thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you have a laptop, that is very handy to have along. I use it to check rates and make hotel reservations among other things. I have driven I-40 in a cage. There is a big problem with this road - Oklahoma, N. Texas and half of New Mexico. The best part of your ride is from Flagstaff to Prescott. If you have limited time off, then so be it. The new ride will be enough to entertain you. But if you had the time and could do S. Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado then you would have one of the best rides of your life.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gpick, what is a cage? Also, what is the big problem with Oklahoma, N. Texas, and part of New Mexico?

I could do the alternate route that you mentioned if it can be done in 4 days broken up into 450 mile increments. IF so, what US highway are you referring to?

F

·
0 Posts
WB0SPL said:
Since I usually work on Saturdays, my days off are Thursdays and Sundays. It's not unusual for me to ride a 300-400 mile loop around the state on those days...just because I have a Wing :wink: Those rides are usually in the 7 - 10 hour range, obviously at lower average speeds.

I agree 100% with the above statement. If you don't condition yourself and your ass ahead of time, it could turn great expectations a miserable trip. I would suggest more on working on "saddle time" rather than focusing too much on mileage. Work yourself up to riding an 8 - 10 hour day and you'll be fine. Don't forget to stop and smell the flowers along the way, not to mention taking lots of pictures.

Last year, I rode straight through on the way back from the Hoot, to WI. The trip was about 750 miles and took around 14 hours, so the 50 mph esitmate is about right. I stopped about every 2 hours for a stretch and for food as needed. I have a 16oz insulated cup for water that I pretty much consumed between each stop. Keep hydrated or you will loose focus and bad things can happen.

With that said, I would not want to do 750 legs every day. I think your goal of 450 miles/day is very doable.

Just off the top of my head, in no particular order, here are a few thoughts:
- Make sure you have riding gear for any type of weather you may encounter. You want to avoid riding too hot or cold and/or wet and all costs. Unless you have all the time in the world, you also don't want rain to prevent you from traveling. Put the rain gear on and go...
- Make sure you riding gear is comfortable. Gloves, pants, jacket, helmet, boots, socks, underwear (don't laugh, it can make a difference.)
- Have water with you to drink when you stop. Keeping it cold sure helps too.
- Have a way to clean your windshield (if you look through it) or visor.
- Pack stuff to fix a flat, know how to use it.
- Cell phone, credit card.
- If you're tired, stop. Do not push yourself if you're not up to it.

There's probably a ton more and the people on this forum are great for providing long distance riding tips. Soak it all in and use what works for you.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A cage is a car. If you have only four days, then you probably have little choice. I drove from Chicago to San Diego in 2.5 days. LOOOOONG days.

What is wrong with those states is that much of it consists of the horizon being the sum of the scenery for 360 degrees. I remember stopping at a gas station which looked like something you would see in the old series The Twilight Zone. The was this gas station and nothing, absolutely nothing else in sight. Not another building. Not a tree. Not even a bush in any direction. Just horizon. There is this gas attendant, a young guy in his 20's, who is alone at the station. No other cars.

So I asked this kid if the road was changed to four lanes in the town that was 35 miles down the road. He didn't know and wasn't much interested. I am thinking that this is the only town nearby on the map and this guy doesn't even know if the road is divided. How can he not know? Was he born in this gas station? Imagine hearing the Twilight Zone theme. Very weird.

But I fueled up and continued down the road listening to the radio and Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing playing every 42 minutes. That's the main thing I remember about I-40 from Chicago to the Petrified Forest in Arizona. Sultan's of Swing and The Twilight Zone. Oh, and the black ice. I first learned about black ice near Springfield Mo. Driving down the interstate at night I noticed the wind is picking up. Next thing you know on a straight road my rear end (the car that is) is suddenly pointing 45 degrees to the side. I turned into the skid and the car straightened right up. (I had picked up a diesel Mercedes.) About five miles later it happened again. I still didn't know what it was, but thought I had better call it a night.

If you like straight roads with nothing to see but 18 wheelers, this is your road. It is the fastest way. If you are on a deadline run this route as expediously as possible and try to set aside a day or so to ride the roads in N. Arizona. Those roads are exactly the opposite of what I have tried to describe. Two lane sweepers and/or twisties with spectacular scenery almost everywhere.

As to Oklahoma City, a guy is in the examination room, the doctor comes in and tells him, "I'm afraid I have bad news. You have six months to live." The guy freaks and says, "Doctor, what should I do? Can't you do anything?" The doc says, "I can't do anything for you, but if I was you I would marry Rosie O'Donnell and move to Oklahoma City." The guy says, "I don't get it. How will that cure me?" The doc says, "It won't, but it will be the longest six months of your life."

Hope this helps. :lol:

·
Registered
751 Posts
miles

For me I usually have to ease into it.... When I have a trip that will cover about 2500 miles, my first day I keep it short, around 400 miles. Then I try to keep it around 500 to 600 miles. For some reason on the 3rd or 4th day I settle in and I can pound out a 800 mile day. What I suggest is just allow yourself couple extra days and let your body tell you how many miles that you can ride on any given day so you wont fell pressed.
Good luck!

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Tommy D said:
I'm planning on riding from Chicago to Prescott, Az. in June. I want to make it there in 4 days, approximately 1800 miles. I'm looking at 450 miles/ day. Is that too many miles to ride comfortably per day on the wing? Also, how many hours per day (ball park) am I looking at riding? As you can tell, I haven't taken any long trips yet. :oops:

Thanks...
Tom seriously you could ride with your grandma, stop and smell the roses in a few days. Just head out -enjoy the country and stop when you feel like it.

RIDE SAFE

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I think its your personal endurance .. on how far you ride each day...

We have a group of 4 on 4 bikes leaving for Sturgis this year..
we plan to make the ride in TWO days.. 1756 miles one way..

cosmic

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't thank you guys enough for all the information that you have provided. I especially appreciate the tips as to the necessary items to pack for a trip that long. I'm going to post a new thread to get ideas as to these essentials and I hope all of you will share your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks and ride safe!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts