GL1800Riders Forums banner

Comfortable Seat

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  storm 
#1 ·
Hope this hasn't been beaten to death but, I need a good cushion for my posterior. Any recommendations on brand? Web site? Leaving for Utah in a couple of weeks. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. Thanks.

#2 ·
Wal-mart comfort relaxing pad (or something like that) is a good one for about $20. Some Wal Marts have them in the automotive dept and some have never heard of them. I used one for a while, then went to an Air Hawk which was a little better but not much. I don't know if you could order an Air Hawk and get it in a couple of weeks though.

#3 ·
You don't mention $$$ but you could ride all the way across the state and get a custom made one from Tom Simmons in Fayetteville. Not the cheapest but it's a great seat. Website is www.tscustomseats.com. Heck you might even be able to stop on the way to Utah. He did my seat in just a little over 24 hours and loaned me a seat in the meantime for that "bad" riding in NW Arkansas.

#4 ·
My first suggestion for anyone finding their saddle uncomfortable is to look at their riding gear. Most ride in jeans, sometimes commando, sometimes with whatever is their day to day underwear. Those are not good combinations for riding a bike.

The best for long distance comfort is a good pair of textile riding pants with LDComfort tights http://www.ldcomfort.com/ under them. I find Kelvar textile works better than other textiles, YMMD. Next level would be your regular day to day pants with LDComfort tights or shorts under them. Under some conditions mesh pants are OK but under most conditions textile is better. Most of the time that is enough to negate the need for a different saddle.

BTW, from your Sig Line I assume your comfort issue is "monkey butt", LDComfort will prevent monkey butt when worn under either riding pants or jeans.

#5 ·
Tried a single Walmart cushion. Added a second Walmart cushion inside the same zipper bag. I tried both waffle sides in, both waffle sides out and ...

It helps.

But then I went to an Air Hawk. That made a huge difference. With the air hawk you can add or subtract air anytime to adjust the cushion firmness. If the Air Hawk has a down side it "might" be that it raises you up off the seat about an inch (but could be more if you blow it up more).

Have had mine for over a year without a problem.

BTW: two Wally World cushions raise you up about an inch too.

If I had to rate the value/difference between the two (having used both for over a year each),I'd say the Air Hawk is an 8 (out of 10) and the Walmart cushion a 5.

The two Wally World cushions set me back 25/30$ (total), the Air hawk is $100.00 + (but worth it).

#7 ·
My first suggestion for anyone finding their saddle uncomfortable is to look at their riding gear. Most ride in jeans, sometimes commando, sometimes with whatever is their day to day underwear. Those are not good combinations for riding a bike.

The best for long distance comfort is a good pair of textile riding pants with LDComfort tights http://www.ldcomfort.com/ under them. I find Kelvar textile works better than other textiles, YMMD. Next level would be your regular day to day pants with LDComfort tights or shorts under them. Under some conditions mesh pants are OK but under most conditions textile is better. Most of the time that is enough to negate the need for a different saddle.

BTW, from your Sig Line I assume your comfort issue is "monkey butt", LDComfort will prevent monkey butt when worn under either riding pants or jeans.
Bubba1,

What brand of textile pants do you wear?

#9 ·
I have good results alternating all day between the Beadrider Ultimate pad ($55.) and the Walmart Relaxation pad ($20.) The Beadrider lets cooling air circulate under your butt and thighs to eliminate hot spots and squirming. After a couple hours, it sometimes feels a little hard, so the Walmart pad for an hour provides deep/soft cushioning. :yes1:

Gel pads, air pads, and sheepskin are all not as effective, in my opinion. And, since I'm really cheap, a $1500. aftermarket seat is a ridiculous proposition.

#10 ·
comfort

Ultimate seat did it for me. Tried LOTS of other options, but for my rear, Ultimate was the answer. The trial period was one factor in my decision to try the Ultimate but, it didn't take 14 days for me to decide that there was NO WAY they would ever get this saddle back. Just my opinion, best money I ever spent for my motorcycles. Ride safe, Dave

#11 ·
I have had Corbin, Ultimate, and Mustang. Tom Simmons seats are by far the best I have ever had on a bike. I would look no further but that's just me!! Good luck.

#12 ·
Bubba1,

What brand of textile pants do you wear?
Motoport stretch Kelvar http://www.motoport.com/_product_106916/Ultra_II_Kevlar_Pant

A complete Kelvar riding suit and a full set of LDComfort costs less than a aftermarket seat and I'm willing to bet it would cure most discomfort on the Wing for most folks, that and putting a few miles on it. BTW, I've worn my OEM seat out and expect I will replace it with another OEM.

#13 ·
#16 ·
The seat on my 2012 is really very good. I wonder if it will fit older Wings, and if the cost might be less than a custom seat.
My understanding is that it will not fit, also its cost is about that of a custom.

I'm glad you find the '12 OEM seat comfortable. I also thought it was good when I traded bikes with a friend for a short ride, but then what do I know, the seat on my '08 has worked for over 70,000 miles. I will say the '08 OEM seat took longer to "break in" than any other bike I've owned. I know there are special cases where the OEM seat does not fit but for most folks seat problems can be fixed with correct riding gear and a few miles of their butt pressing on the seat.

But then seats are like a lot of mods, be it chrome, LED lights, or even the most holy of holily Traxxion: What ever blows your skirt is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.