GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haines or Skagway Alaska (Whitehorse Yukon works too) to Minnesota then to California.

Loose start date thus far.

Departing from Alaska via Haines or Skagway (Whitehorse, Yukon works too but you should ride both the Skagway HWY and the Haines HWY if you never have) via the ferry from Juneau sometime before mid August.

If you are on a ferry hop trip through Southeast Alaska by some chance and choose to stop in Juneau I could put you up for a few days potentially.

Traveling to Minnesota for work and play then heading to California later in August for work and play then back to Alaska.

If you would like to meet an Alaska rider and ride together for some or all of the trip let me know. Perhaps we can fit something together.

I usually camp a few days and then do a 3 or 4 star hotel for a night or so and repeat.

However. I am not opposed to a hotel every night but I do need a hotel every third/fourth night or so as I am getting a wee bit too old to camp out the entire trip.

Traveling one up with my dog (springer spainiel) and a trailer on this trip. Will be in no hurry and I like to check out the side roads.

When will we get there? When we get there is my attitude.

I do not like to travel with an overly rigid itinerary. I usually book my hotels or campsite via the phone or laptop the night before and often just Wing it literally.

I have no problems playing the “we will meet up for dinner, or lunch” etc. Nor do I mind riding together. In essence ride how and where you want and if it works hook up for meals and or ride together depending on our individual mood, ideas, etc that day. The “if you really, really, have to travel that spur road have at it, I will meet you in the next town for lunch or vice versa etc, etc…or see you at the hotel tonight.” is the way I roll.

Most of the over week long trips I have done with other riders are a combo of riding together some days and other days someone wants to sleep in or take an alternative route and we hook up later in the day, that night or in a few days.

It will be separate lodging but it is fun to share some or most meals together to scheme and plot the daily shenanigans.

I think I will take the middle route from Alaska via Banff and drop into North Dakota after the Canadian Bad Lands, the route to California via Minnesota is still in the “who knows just make it a few miles west every day” stages.

California back to Alaska will be the far western route and I might put the bike on the ferry from Bellingham WA back to Juneau, AK or just leave it in California this winter.

Enjoy it out there!

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
3 or 4 Star Hotels

Please let me know of a 4 star hotel that accepts dogs. I'd like to put them on my list, but I have yet to find one. I usually have to downgrade accomodations when the pooch is on board.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dogs and hotels and bikes is a topic worthy of its own thread

The Laquinta chain of hotels/motels is 2 to 3 and 1/2 stars and all of thier places take pets you don't even have to ask. They have cool parking lots you will see parrots to ferrets and lots and lots of dogs.

Up in my country and in North Western Canada especially the Yukon there are not many great "hotels" but lots of very very nice lodges and yes none of them allow pets officially but if you get to know the owners and the GM's you would be pleasently surprised.

Not so good for the one off trip to alaska but even then you would be surprised at how loose official policies can be up here in God's Country.

Most down south" riders (a.k.a the lower 48 states) that i have meet on their way up to Alaska are too conservitive to actually "Wing" it but there are many advantages to booking on the wing so to speek as well as just showing up. Tips do happen and they can bring the harvest in at the drop of a hat.

I think I will sit down this weekend or next week and write up a long new thread starter on Dog's and Bikes on the Road..my trials and tribuilations to date or something like that.

Enjoy the weekend

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Went from Indy to Whitehorse, YT last year. Stayed in some interesting motels. I can't say enough how BEAUTIFUL the northwest is!

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
its to bad about the pets and motel thing but with some of the crap i have seen pet owners do it sure ain't hard to understand

Alaska was the best trip i was ever on, i hope your trip turns out as good or maybe even better if thats possible :thumbup:

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no doubt

No doubt a few bad dog owners have messed it up for the rest of us. I think it really comes down to the character test with the GM's. I have been pleasently surprised at my luck thus far but still get turned down flat more oftem than I get to bend the rules especailly if it is a place I have never stayed in before.

I also always send a card and a few picture from the road to those places that do let me break the rules. I think that goes a long ways.

I always kennel my dog up at night even in the room. Also people need to get them poop bags and clean up after their animials. That I think is the most important thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts