GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it my magination or does the 2018 gl1800 have more of a tendency to fall away from you taking it off of the center stand with the handlebars slightly left or straight? I never noticed this with my 2012 which seemed to lean toward me when coming down. It has caused a few anxious moments since dropping the bike would be bad enough but onto other motorcycles would be a disaster. Thanks in advance for your response.
Chuck

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
I could not figure out what ChuckR was saying until the above post hinted he was taking the bike off of center stand while not seated. Why do that? In that case, use the side stand.

prs

Reactions: FJRPilot

·
Registered
612 Posts
I’m on the bike and rock it off. I’m not big enough to push it off from beside it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I can't imagine a scenario when I'd want to take it off the center stand while not sitting on the bike. Just asking for trouble, IMO. It's easier to get on the bike this way, too, especially with a driver backrest.

That said, if you insist on taking it off the stand while alongside the bike, you HAVE to make sure the bars are as close to perfectly straight. Otherwise it's just physics - the bike will come down, it's moving forward, any turn to either side is going to make the bike track off center , and it WILL lean one way or the other depending on the bars. With an 800+ pound bike, you're inviting the nightmare scenario. Why even risk it on a technique that isn't necessary in the real world?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looks like I’m the odd one here. I’ve always taken my bikes off the center stand the same way I put it on the center stand, standing beside the bike. Just a habit I guess. On my BMW GS I can’t touch the ground while sitting on it on the center stand anyway. I’m 5’8” and 150 lbs so I’m not a big guy but have been around bikes my whole like and not intimidated by the weight or taking them off the center stand while standing beside the bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am tip toed touching the ground when I straddle the bike on the center stand but after it rolls forward it's easy to control as both feet become flat footed quickly. I can't imagine any scenario when I would take it off the center stand while standing beside the bike.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have gotten the bike off the center stand both ways. I know standing next to the bike, I have to pull the bike to the left as it is coming off the center stand to make sure it doesn't lean toward the right. I think this way is harder than sitting on the bike and rocking it.
About 20 years ago, when I had my GL1500, I remember it falling over to the right, but I don't remember why. I am thinking it must have been on the center stand and I took it off and didn't guide it to the left and it fell to the right.
I do remember it was on its right side in the garage one time, but I can't remember how it got that way. Must have been like I mentioned above. Getting old Sucks!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I've been taking my rides off the center stand both ways forever without a problem but one thing I won't do is use the center stand on anything but level ground.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
832 Posts
Max from traxxion has a video of himself put the bike up on the centerstand and taking it off by standing next to it. He explains which way to turn the handlebars when letting it down.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I’m 5’8” and 150 lbs so I’m not a big guy but have been around bikes my whole like and not intimidated by the weight or taking them off the center stand while standing beside the bike.
I'm barely 5'8" and I'm shrinking. :wink2: I'm on tip toes when I straddle it on the center stand. I've got sufficient leverage to rock it off the center stand when straddled. This is good because I don't think I'd be comfortable taking it of the center stand while standing next to it.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Interesting, I have only rocked mine (2012 GL1832 and my current 2018 GL1833) off the center stand maybe five times while on the foot pegs straddling the bike. My M/O now is that I usually press the left driver footpeg with my right leg standing on the left side while I rock the bike making sure I have the handlebars pointing straight forward. When the front wheel hits the ground I touch the brake to stop the forward momentum and its normal procedure for me. I also load the bike onto my lift standing beside the bike using the walking mode onto the ramps and up onto the lift, nothing too it. I'm short 5'7 tall.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,556 Posts
I've always taken the bike off its center stand standing by its side. I keep the side stand down and the handlebars straight and have never had a problem...tell you the truth I've never thought about sitting on the bike and pushing the bike off its center stand.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I stand on the left side of the bike when the center stand is down. I push the left bar all the way forward keeping my hand on the bar and put my right hand on the passenger rail. Gently move the bike forward and it comes off the stand easily. Because the front wheel is pointed to the right the bike naturally moves slightly left when it comes off the stand. Max from Traxxions video explains it perfectly.

Beagle

Reactions: Max McAllister

·
Registered
616 Posts
tell you the truth I've never thought about sitting on the bike and pushing the bike off its center stand.
That's ironic, I've never even considered NOT sitting on the bike when taking it off the center stand! Just seems like a much safer practice to me as it eliminates all possibility of losing balance on the way down. Plus, I find it kinda fun to be honest. :wink2:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've always taken the bike off its center stand standing by its side. I keep the side stand down and the handlebars straight and have never had a problem...tell you the truth I've never thought about sitting on the bike and pushing the bike off its center stand.

+1 IMHO this is a fail safe way just rock the bike off the center stand while standing beside it with the kick stand down and holding onto the bars with you left hand and your right hand on the passenger grab rail and slightly pull the bike to you and let it drop down on the side stand. After a few times it looks like a dance. Not me but I have seen others while seated on the bike and rock it off the center stand and the bike drops down on the high side and goes over with the rider on it. But again it's what works for you that counts and why change anything as long as you can master it YOUR way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts