GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fred,

You had this side note in your post in the Tranny thread:

As a side note, I have noticed my new 2009 does not shift anywhere nearly as well as my 2002 did, but I haven't switched over the synthetic oil in it yet. I'm hopeful that when I switch oil, it will smooth out some.

I have an 08' that seemed a little stiff on the shifting so when I went in for the 4K service I had them change to the Honda synthetic oil and I did notice the shifting smoothing out, that is to say when I picked the bike up it was a noticable difference/improvement. Hope yours does the same.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Fred,

You had this side note in your post in the Tranny thread:

As a side note, I have noticed my new 2009 does not shift anywhere nearly as well as my 2002 did, but I haven't switched over the synthetic oil in it yet. I'm hopeful that when I switch oil, it will smooth out some.

I have an 08' that seemed a little stiff on the shifting so when I went in for the 4K service I had them change to the Honda synthetic oil and I did notice the shifting smoothing out, that is to say when I picked the bike up it was a noticable difference/improvement. Hope yours does the same.

Yea, I suspect it will. I went to a full synthetic in the 02 very early on, so I never spent much time on it with dino oil in it. I'm waiting longer on this bike before switching to synthetic. I have turned over 5K and I think I have waited as long as I can stand it, and will go to a full synthetic real soon. I don't like the way it shifts on conventional oil at all, it's really clunky, for lack of a better term.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I just switched to Rotella T last week-end at 5,000 miles. I noticed a marked improvement in the smoothness of shifting. Hope you find the same.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Clunky shifts

My 2007 still has the Honda oil in it and is bad. Never paid much attention until all the hype about the transmissions on the 2006 and up.
My 2002 never shifted this bad and sounded to clunky at second gear.
Amsoil synthetic real soon.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I've never noticed much difference in shifting when going from conventional to synthetic. What I have noticed is that the shifting stays good for far longer. With conventional, my shifting was getting bad before 3k. With my the Renewable Lubes BioSyn in, its still great at 4k.

Isn't the factory fill a 30 grade oil? I imagine switching to a 40 would help things.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yea, I suspect it will. I went to a full synthetic in the 02 very early on, so I never spent much time on it with dino oil in it. I'm waiting longer on this bike before switching to synthetic. I have turned over 5K and I think I have waited as long as I can stand it, and will go to a full synthetic real soon. I don't like the way it shifts on conventional oil at all, it's really clunky, for lack of a better term.
Fred, I switched to synthetic and al though it helps, my 06 is still too clunky for my liking. Oh well!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I rode the 01, 190k miles with no transmission problems or shifting problems. The 07 acts like it wants to set one gear on top of another gear. Way different shifting pattern on the 07 than the 01.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Makes a guy wanna hang on to his slick shift'n '02.

prs

·
Registered
728 Posts
Gosh, I really feel bad for all you 06 & up owners with the clunky shifty problems. I just returned from a 175 jaunt thru the "Hills" on my 02 Pearl Orange that's just about to turn 57K.:yes1: So just to help a brother out, I'll be willing to trade my beautiful, easy shifting 02 that gets more compliments every time I make a stop and get off of it than either of my 01 Pearl Blue or my 03 Stream Silver.:roll:

Attachments

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Makes a guy wanna hang on to his slick shift'n '02.

prs
Well, it appears your options are you can have a Wing with a frame that won't crack in half, or one that shifts like it should. Pick your poison.

I'll wait and see how mine does when I put synthetic in it. I suspect my 02 may have had the same clunky shifts if I had run the same conventional oil that I have in the 09. Time will tell....

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I will avoid the "which oil is best" debate, but my philosophy is to leave the dino oil in for break-in plus a couple more oil changes. That dino oil will allow most every factory machined surface to wear the nubs off the high spots and fully seat all friction surfaces and the factory oil change intervals make sure mostly all that suspended metal gets removed from the engine...as much as possible anyway. Yes, I do extend the oil change intervals once I put synthetic oil in my bike, and I don't need any of your "You're going to burn in Hades" rhetoric from the by-the-book crowd, thank you very much.

If you put synthetic oil in too soon, I believe it will take much longer to fully seat those surfaces and it could lead to some smoking exhausts on startup for a while. Eventually everything will get settled down and you should experience little to no oil use between oil changes. At least that is my experience with my 1989 GL-1500 that I sold in 2004 with 151,000 miles on it and of course, my 2005 is not using any oil either.

Now if I get a used high mileage vehicle which was fed dino oil all its life, I will not switch to synthetic. I have seen others that tried that and the synthetic oil started to clean out all that built up carbon and the engine started to seep and burn oil that it hadn't done before. Their only recourse was to switch back to dino oil and wait for all the carbon to build back up or do a rebuild. There are chemicals that can be added to the oil to help swell up the various fiberous seals, but that does nothing to stop oil getting past the rings.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I made the move to full synthetic 10w-40 at around 5K miles. I've got 20K now and shifting has smoothed out very nicely. I'm changing oil at 4-5K and changed the final drive oil at 16K.

One thing I think I felt with the dino oil was as the miles went by I thought my 08 shifted a bit "harder". After the change, it shifted much better. Has anyone noticed this or is it all in my left foot?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts