GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone comment on their experience with Boston/Southern NH area Honda dealers? I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and order a 'wing this spring, (or sooner if a good deal can be made).

I live on the North Shore. The two closest dealers to me are Cycles 128 in Beverly and Honda Depot in Hampton, NH. Cycles 128 gave me the run around when I tried to buy a Suzuki SV650 there a couple of years ago so I'm not too keen on them.

Like anyone I'm looking for a good price and good service after the sale. Willing to travel some (75-100 miles) to get both.

I've heard some comments in the past that in this area dealers do not discount much if at all from list. I would also entertain buying from an out of state dealer, such as HDL, to save a few grand assuming I could get service at a local dealer. Comments on this option appreciated as well.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
John
Must not be many viewers from the Boston area tonite. There must be quite a few dealers within 100 miles in that part of the country, seems like at least one of them would be willing to make you a good deal. If not I wouldn't hesitate to buy from directline, seems like everyone reports good service from them, and think of the nice ride home. By the time you got home you would likely be convinced the 1800 was the rite choice. Routine maintenance on the 1800 is mostly fairly easy for the do it yourselfer. Buy the majority of my goldwing stuff from directline and the price and service has been great. Bike has 43000 miles and has only been in a dealer shop once,that was for headlite bulbs covered by warranty. I recommend 04 model because of the lited controls and other minor improvements, Goodluck with your new bike.

G

·
MA/NH Dealers (long)

'Morning, John--

Interesting question you've posed....

I bought my '03 at Nault's in Manchester, NH. If you factor in shipping costs from CA, (going out to LA and riding home was not an option) I got the bike for $350 over what LA Cycle Sports was quoting at the time, and felt pretty good about the deal....

Nault's/Manchester then proceeded to totally screw up the delivery...the bike was not ready when promised (with 10 days notice). I arrived at the appointed time, and had to wait around while they washed and dried the bike and generally did the predelivery set-up. The orientation walk-through with the salesman was quite abbreviated (5 minutes) and then down the road I went. Got home and checked coolant, final drive oil and crankcase oil (because I'd read on the forum that dealers were neglecting to top off fluids before delivery) and sure enough, all were low...the final drive had less than an ounce, and requires 3 ounces.

Nault's/Manchester is apparently one of the dealers that does NOT contact customers about the ECM replacement....I've had no word from them in the nine months I've owned the bike....the good news is that I've never had an over-heating problem.

SUMMARY: Nault's/Manchester leaves the impression that once the sale is in the bag, you're yesterday's news.

In fairness, other people have reported good service and relationship from Nault's/Windham store....not sure if they are the same ownership or not.

Depot Honda did my 4000 mile service...they are closer to me, and I wanted to have the service documented in Honda's computer system. I introduced myself to the service manager, explained that I had not bought the bike there, but would be interested in having my service work done there. That was fine, with the exception that they would not do recall service (ECM change and Frame reweld, if required). I'd have to go to the selling dealer for that service. I asked them to adjust the cruise control lag while it was there...."there is no adjustment, that's computer controlled". I told him the section and page of the service manual that addresses this problem, and very nicely told him to let it go this time, we'll deal with it another time....didn't want them sticking a screwdriver in my computer! :shock:

SUMMARY: Depot Honda is a nice store...lot's of bikes, (although they had no Wings on the floor when I was ready to buy) good selection of helmets and misc accessory items, a decent parts department, a service department that may not be as 1800-savvy as they should be.....can't tell you about new-bike purchase discounting.

There is a Honda dealer in North Reading, but I've never been there.

All dealers have an occasional bad day. Some dealers have an occasional good day. The trick is to figure out which is which. Good luck with your purchase....your life will never be the same! :D

Ron
'03 Black ABS

·
Registered
621 Posts
Boston Area Dealers

John, I've been doing business with Nault's in Manchester, NH for years. I just bought my new wing there a few months ago. Big showroom, lots of inventory, good people. Ask for Steve Munroe, he'll treat you right.

But, my advise is to do your homework before you go. If you're trading something in, get the numbers from Kelly and NADA. For the Wing, again get the numbers from - http://www.cyclecost.com/ You maybe surprised at the numbers.

Walk in with print-outs of the values, set your number and stick to it. After whining about noting making any money on this deal, etc, etc, etc.....I rode home with my new Wing at the number I wanted to pay. No I didn't steal it, but we both made out in the deal. :lol:

·
Registered
846 Posts
When every dealer near me was getting msrp for the 01 GL1800 when it first became available, I purchased mine for $2,000. under msrp with no extra fees and they delivered it on a flatbed to my house for no charge.
I don't know how far they are from you or how their service is since I haven't been back there but the dealer is Green River Honda in Gill, MA.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the recommendations. I have also heard GBM in Arlington as well as Nault's in Windham, NH is good.

John

·
Registered
553 Posts
good

the main thing to ask them is warrenty service.iour honda dealer in fairfield ca..told me if i didnt buy my wing from them i would have a hard time getting any service done,nice people huh !!! i traveled 65 miles to milpitas honda,saved 3,400 over the fairfield shop and was treated like i was a customer,no threats,demands etc..i wouldnt buy a quart of oil from the local ripoffs..people need to boycott the bad dealers and even mother honda admits that a lot of them exist..tpp bad honda doesnt take ownership of dealerships and had a real nationwide warrenty..pretty sad it is this way..sear,s,penney,s etc.etc, would fold if they treated warrenty customers this way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Depot Honda

Sorry you had a problem with Depot Honda - when was that? I have purchased two 1800 from them with great service. There is a dealer 4 miles from my home - their price and service were horrible. There is an other 30 miles away. Honda Depot is over 80 miles - each way.

Guess that says how I feel.

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
mablack left you a p.m.

Hope we can help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts