GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have '07 premium audio. The noise in the intercom mutes out everything at a volume level of 8 and above. The radio will unmute at 8 but with noise. The noise is related to engine rpm. The static noise increases with engine rpm. Turn off the intercom all noise goes away. Only addition is a Zumo with a mic splitter from Edsets. I have eliminated both microphones. My intercom is almost useless. Anyone know where to look.
Thanks.
Indytriker

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Do you get the noise when the engine is not running?

What about when you take the Zumo off? Maybe it is picking up some interference.

Maybe try temporarily removing your cruise control fuse. This will kill the alternator. See if it happens then.

If not, maybe you have a bad ignition wire or spark plug or ignition coil.

·
Vendor
22,085 Posts
Not sure what a "mic splitter from EdSets" is but if this ties in audio from your Zumo to your intercom, that is probably the source of the problem. It may need to be transformer isolated from the mic input if you are powering the Zumo off the bike.

Try running the Zumo off it's battery and see if the noise goes away. If it does, you have a ground loop between the Zumo and the Intercom through the mic input.

Jon Kennedy makes some adapters to add GPS/Radar to the intercom input that are fully isolated, and might be a better choice for hooking up your Zumo.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
mine does this too. Isn't there a Ground Loop Isolator you can get for the Zumo? I thought I read that somewhere on here.

·
Registered
567 Posts
you'll need a ground loop isolator. i do not think garmin offers one. Many are available out there from reputable, supportive companies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More info

With intercom only on yes I do get noise with engine not running. Hiss / static with volume control. With engine running I get more noise with rpm whine and static. This is in both front and rear helmets.
Zumo on or off no difference.
Removing cruise fuse makes no difference.Thanks again.
Indytriker

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cruise Control Noise

I also have a noise issue. I just purchased a new 2008 GL1800 with no accesories hooked up other than the J&M Elite Headset. Anytime the cruise control is set I get a loud static sound thru the headset only. I get this only when the cruise is pulling the bike. When I go down hill and it stops pulling the noise goes away completley. I have tried installing the in line filter from "WingStuff" between the main hook up and the extension cord where the Headset is pluged in. I have this installed on both the driver and passenger hook up.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cruise Noise

Thank you for the link Ron. It looks like you have to remove a lot to get to the cruise module. Do you know anywhere I can get step by step directions on how to remove everything, maybe with some pictures?

Thanks again,

Rick

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Thank you for the link Ron. It looks like you have to remove a lot to get to the cruise module. Do you know anywhere I can get step by step directions on how to remove everything, maybe with some pictures?

Thanks again,

Rick
Fred's videos and a service manual are the best for working on your bike.

Fred H. in the post above in this thread is the guy. I think he has a sale ending soon. Send him a PM.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Perhaps a look at the "Step by Step" sub-board is in order.... :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts