GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I have this burning question, I just purchsed a 2010 Wing XM Navi, and I am confused as to why we are still wired to the bikes, to hear GPS and Radio/phone etc. thru communications cables. Has not one company thought of a Bluetooth transmitter to free us from cables? before I go spending money on something I might not like can anyone point me in a direction to be cable free? I just cant believe in this day and age we have not gotton away from cables. Thanks In advance

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Ive been told that the blue tooth link up on the bikes traveling at speed is not that great yet, especially for music. I dont know, Ive never tried anything with the exception of my cell linked by blue tooth on the bike and I have trouble with that at speed???!! I would like to not be hard wired in too, but I do like my music crystal clear though and cant stand static.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Scala Rider

I use a Scala Rider G4 power set for most of my communication needs. Note: if you are intersted in using a C.B. this isn't the system for you.

My Scala rider has a built in intercom (that works with other Scala devices) at up to a mile (according to their literature), built-in radio, as well as bluetooth connectivity. I use my android phone for Google music, streaming XM radio, phone calls and GPS (Google navigation).

I currently have no desire to have any C.B. connection, but if you do you should know that it doesn't make any provisions for that. Everything else has been great.

I can talk on the phone and i have to let people know that I'm on a motorcycle, they have no idea. Rider to passenger communication just works. If my S.O. goes into the store while I'm filling up she can ask me what I want to drink without even speaking too loud.

YMMV.

Jason

·
Registered
430 Posts
two that I know of

Both J&M and AirRider make bluetooth headsets that eliminate the chords and transmit everything that the chord does plus connect to phones. (might be others that do it but I am not aware of).
I have the AirRider and it took a bit of experimenting to get it set up just right. Once you get it adjusted it works WELL. Wife and I like it real well. Either one is a bit pricey.
We had Scala teamset that just allowed us to talk and use a phone but didn't pick up the bike comm. Wouldn't go back to that after the AirRider setup.

·
Registered
205 Posts
here is MY take on the question of Bluetooth headsets on the GL-1800 ,,,,,

If you are a practical type of person, then spending $1,300.00 for all new headsets, dongles, harnesses etc ,,,, JUST to cut the cord to the headsets and to gain the privilege of charging batteries every night for the next day’s ride ,,,, borders on crazy ,,,,,,

If you are a person who likes to have what is perceived as the latest and the greatest technology, regardless of cost ,,, J&M offers THE BEST Bluetooth helmet headsets and integration dongles to the GL-1800 audio system ,,,,,

If however, you are considering Bluetooth headsets, just to make it easier to link a cell phone into the GL-1800 audio system, then this is a better AND less expensive solution ,,,, http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=JMDM-IPBT-GL18 &PF=32 ,,,,,,,

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have the complete JM Bluetooth set up. Only complaint I have it the noise on the system at low speeds, 40 Mph and below. Other than that everything works well.

FYI, you think it's costly until you take a trip through Yellowstone with the wife stopping you every 1/4 mile to get off and take a picture..

An added feature is the separate audio hookup for the passanger, wife and listen to her music while I listen to the wind...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would love to see the J&M blue tooth system be able to link to the Scala system. That would be more cost effecient for me at least. Thier new system is the ONLY system (so far) that works to connect the bike CB to the bluetooth headsets (J&M) with out mic delays.

Great work J&M....

Nigel

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ive been told that the blue tooth link up on the bikes traveling at speed is not that great yet, especially for music. I dont know, Ive never tried anything with the exception of my cell linked by blue tooth on the bike and I have trouble with that at speed???!! I would like to not be hard wired in too, but I do like my music crystal clear though and cant stand static.
I have the J&M bluetooth audio device, and have used it with my iphone on a number of occasions. I was able to play from the ipod, pandora, slacker, and Sirius, all via bluetooth, and have had zero problems in any instance. I thought the sound quality was very good (and I have a degree in music) traveling at 75 mph.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...> I just cant believe in this day and age we have not gotton away from cables.
As you've read (if you've made it this far), the cost of cutting that cable is pretty high.

Cable technology is (still) darn-near fool-proof.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Borders on Crazy

JUST to cut the cord to the headsets and to gain the privilege of charging batteries every night for the next day’s ride ,,,, borders on crazy
:agree:
One of the first things I did to my Wing back in '04 was to switch to bluetooth, even added a charging cradle in the right cubbie to make it easy. Lasted about 2 months before I said enough. The cord takes less effort ...

·
Registered
205 Posts
J&M has just made our Blu<>Hub dongle06 for the Gold Wing, even better.

The new Blu<>Hub dongle06 features dual remote mounted 2.4ghz antennas, to better optimize the signal link between the driver & passenger J&M Bluetooth headsets. ((see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=JBLU-BHDG06&PF=30 ,,,,

J&M's wireless headsets ad Blu<>Hub system for the Gold Wing, is the ONLY wireless headset system for the Wing, that has NO delay on the intercom, offers helmet speaker volume and fidelity as good as J&M corded headsets, and works just like a corded headset over the Honda CB radio ,,,

it IS still too darned expensive, but if you want a wireless headset system for your Honda GL-1800/1500, that is easy to install and WORKS, J&M's is the one ,,,

video on the system at:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I carefully considered the bluetooth system. I added the J/M CFRG so I could talk on my iPhone, the Soundgate system so my iPhone can be used as an MP3 player, and a Garmin Zumo 660. I realized that bluetooth means a battery in the helmet, which means charging, which means limited life, which means not being able to ride all day long without having to charge the helmet, which means every time I take off my helmet I have to charge the battery, which means half the time the battery would be dead, which means I would have limited ability to listen to my iPod, my iPhone, or the irritating Garmin voice.

The 1/4 second it takes to hook into the wire seems awfully enticing after that thought experiment.

Plus, the sound quality is far superior.

·
Registered
907 Posts
J&M has just made our Blu<>Hub dongle06 for the Gold Wing, even better.

The new Blu<>Hub dongle06 features dual remote mounted 2.4ghz antennas, to better optimize the signal link between the driver & passenger J&M Bluetooth headsets. ((see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=JBLU-BHDG06&PF=30 ,,,,

J&M's wireless headsets ad Blu<>Hub system for the Gold Wing, is the ONLY wireless headset system for the Wing, that has NO delay on the intercom, offers helmet speaker volume and fidelity as good as J&M corded headsets, and works just like a corded headset over the Honda CB radio ,,,

it IS still too darned expensive, but if you want a wireless headset system for your Honda GL-1800/1500, that is easy to install and WORKS, J&M's is the one ,,,

video on the system at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDCiA-qYKDc ,,,,,

Is there an upgrade path for those of us who have the Dongle 5?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts