GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any sugguestions for a commuter bike?.....Iam thinkn 45-50mph and some weather protection...scooters need not apply.
KLR 650 first came to my mind, especially since I just sold mine :banghead:

NC700?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Picked up the wife a reflex Honda, Now a forsa later model. It's a great scooter. I have a TU250 and I love that thing.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Gizmag really likes the new ZERO electric:
http://www.gizmag.com/zero-sr-2014-electric-motorcycle-review-test-ride/32015/

"... the amazing Zero SR electric motorcycle blows our minds

The 2014 Zero SR​
It's been about three years since we last tested one of Zero Motorcycles' electric bikes... Compared to the 2011 Zero S, the 2014 Zero SR has between 200-400 percent more everything

When we last rode the Zero S about three years ago, we came away thinking "what a nice little commuter, shame about the battery range."
Things have changed...

The Numbers
The Zero puts out just under 70 peak horsepower (50 kW) and a monstrous 106 ft-lbs (144 Nm) of torque. .. Its kerb weight is 452 lbs (205 kg). But the bike feels much, much smaller and lighter than that, ..There's no clutch or gears, it's pure simplicity to ride, provided you can keep the slim rear tire from spinning up in the wet.
..its governed 100 mph (160 km/h) top speed... and hits 60 mph (~100 km/h) in a brutal 3.3 seconds – with turbine-like electric whine from the motor.

The range is now a touch over 135 miles (220 km) if you ride it gently, and still well over 60 miles if you're giving it an absolute gumboot full, so there's undoubtedly folk out there who'll be able to use this as a corner-carving sports machine. But where it's really going to shine is as a power commuter.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Ummmmmm

My wing is the best commuter bike I have ever had.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
+ 1 on the V- Stom 650. Kick ass bikr

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I commute on my Wing and get 38+ miles per gallon. If you get a TU250, VStrom or KLR, you'll have to buy luggage and crash bars.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
650cc to go 45mph? 65cc will do it just fine and you'll probably pick up some chicks as well.

At least that's what they say over on Scooter Doc's.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Probably any bike that won't make it out of town LOL

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
Do you need to carry anything to your work? Maybe something that has storage would be helpful. Then you might want a bike that you could put Saddlebags on, or a luggage rack with a back pack you could attach.

Do you need it to go on the Freeway if your Wing was down for repairs?

There are so many different bikes and options, to tell you the truth, I could come up with a lot of ideas....How about a small used Sportster? Maybe a Suzuki Burgman 650....those are great bikes.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you do not have to carry a lot to work, get another KLR. The NC700 would also be a good one. How about the CB500X. 65-70 mpg.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Any suggestions for a commuter bike? NC700?
I went with a 2014 NC700XD.
ABS brakes, Dual Clutch Transmission (6-speed)
Built in storage (fits my Schuberth C3 Pro no problem)
At the speeds you are talking about expect about 65 to 70 real miles per gallon.
Added a larger windscreen and some aftermarket panniers (Givi Trekker Outbacks)

Couple of days after I picked it up, completely stock.

I've had it a month and put on about 1,500 miles so far. Pic with the bags and windscreen added:

If I add the 58 liter top case I will have about the same storage as a 2012+ GL1800
What appears to be the gas tank is built in storage, 21 liters. The bags are 37 liter each, I could have gone w/48 liter each but didn't want the extra width.

Engine is extremely smooth and with the 6 speed I'm only turning around 3,300 rpm on the highway. I love the dual clutch transmission. I believe this bike has the basics to make a fine "touring lite" bike for a solo rider and is completely untouchable as a commuter.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but I love my Wing as a commuter bike. i have often thought it would be nice to have a smaller bike, something like an NC700X or a Burgman scooter, something that gets great gas mileage, but in the end, you just give up too much.

For me, a commuter bike has to have lots of storage. I want to be able to carry rain gear and heated gear. I like being able to just open the trunk and throw my laptop and lunch in it. And when I get to work, I can just stow the helmet in the trunk. Everyone else has to carry their helmets into the building. With the Wing, you don't have to go through all the rituals with bungie cords. Many smaller bikes might also have a problem powering heated gear.

That is why I gave up looking for the best commuter bike. I realized I already had it.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
it would be nice to have a smaller bike, something like an NC700X or a Burgman scooter, something that gets great gas mileage, but in the end, you just give up too much.
Agreed. For me, it was about 400+ lbs

:joke:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a cb500x , it gets great mpg but I still use my wing to go back and forth to work plus a lot of other riding :thumbup: Hard to beat the wing for just about everything.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Agreed. For me, it was about 400+ lbs

:joke:
There certainly is that. I suppose if I had to wade through busy downtown traffic, I would be clamoring for a lighter commuter bike, and probably one with a DCT or CVT too. The weight has never been a hindrance in my commute, so I would not want to give up the Wing's convenience just for less weight.

It just goes to show that the best commuter bike is going to be highly dependent on the individual. The CTX700 would be great if your commute was local roads, and maybe the CTX1300 if freeway is involved.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts