GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was 99-degrees today with 30% humidity and a chance of thunderstorms. I rode home from work in reletive comfort wearing a full face helmet, gloves and an armored mesh jacket. How? Well there is a secret: I soak the sleeves and stay good and cool for about half an hour.

I store my gear inside where it is cool. That helps. Then, before I leave for home, I take my jacket to the bathroom and wet down the front and back of both sleeves from cuff to shoulder. Then I fold the sleeves over onto the chest of my jacket, so I won't drip all over the floor, and head out to the Wing. Just putting the jacket on is coolish, but once I get moving, I feel almost cold!

The real cooling last about 15 minutes. Then I get another 15 minutes of pretty good cooling. After half an hour at 99-degrees, my mesh jacket is almost dry and the cooling effect is mostly gone.

For me, as a commuter rider working in an office setting, this works just fine. Touring in the dessert heat requires a little different technique. You may find that for short rides, wetting the sleeves works well up to about 100-degrees.

Try it and report back here with your results.

·
Administrator
3,611 Posts
Yes, it works and works well. I've been doing this for the last couple of years, for I listed to Bubba1, especially after the supporting evidence from the IBA website.

If I'm going on a long ride in hot weather, you can bet your sweet bippy that I'll be wearing my LD Comfort shirt, and my heavy First Gear textile jacket. If I can sell enough aluminum cans I'll buy Motoport textile, but in the meantime my First Gear textile -NOT MESH- works fine. I wet the sleeves of the LD Comfort and have the sleeve vents open about half-way, and have the back vent open to allow some air flow through the sleeve vents to my torso, and out through the back vent. This provides evaporative cooling and allows me to ride for over an hour in the hottest of weather. The LD Comfort, because it is wicking material, keeps my skin dry and prevents the clammy feeling that wet cotton causes.

I agree with you except for the mesh jacket. I believed in the "cooling properties of more air flow" until I tried my winter textile jacket in hot weather. I haven't worn my mesh jacket in over 2 years now.

Glen

·
Registered
931 Posts
As long as you're moving, LD Comfort undergarments, some judicious dampening and adjusting zippers works VERY well.

But two years ago my commute on a heavily congested eight lane X-way (I-80/94 south of Chicago) was under construction. Lot's of stopping, standing and crawling. The heat given off by semi-tractors coupled with the sun, ambient temps and pavement heat became dangerously hot. So I bought -- and I don't remember the name off hand -- a vest that came with high tech "ice paks" that slipped into front and back pockets. Since I had access to a freezer during the day, keeping them cold was no problem. Anyway, the vest provided remarkably refreshing cooling for about an hour which is often what it took me to cover the 30 mile ride home in the afternoon.

Just another tool for the toolbox for limited circumstances. I would never take this vest when traveling as re-cooling the paks would be virtually impossible.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Wasn't Expecting That!!!

Just got back from an Ohio to West Coast trip about 8 days ago. When riding into eastern Washington ran into temps where the bike said 106 and a BMW with us showed it at 106.5. Now for you Arizona guys, that's right in your wheelhouse. But for us Ohio guys, that was getting hot. I stopped and bought a Perfect cooling towel and wet it down every hundred miles or so. Put it on my neck and with the flow through air from my Aerostich jacket, I got a real good cooling effect. For under 10 bucks, it sure helped out in a pinch. Cooling effect lasted about 1.5 hours. Pour more water on it from a water bottle and bingo another 1.5.

Picture of local paper showing the temps it was hitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Yes, it works and works well. I've been doing this for the last couple of years, for I listed to Bubba1, especially after the supporting evidence from the IBA website.

If I'm going on a long ride in hot weather, you can bet your sweet bippy that I'll be wearing my LD Comfort shirt, and my heavy First Gear textile jacket. If I can sell enough aluminum cans I'll buy Motoport textile, but in the meantime my First Gear textile -NOT MESH- works fine. I wet the sleeves of the LD Comfort and have the sleeve vents open about half-way, and have the back vent open to allow some air flow through the sleeve vents to my torso, and out through the back vent. This provides evaporative cooling and allows me to ride for over an hour in the hottest of weather. The LD Comfort, because it is wicking material, keeps my skin dry and prevents the clammy feeling that wet cotton causes.

I agree with you except for the mesh jacket. I believed in the "cooling properties of more air flow" until I tried my winter textile jacket in hot weather. I haven't worn my mesh jacket in over 2 years now.

Glen
+1 on what Glen said.

Even on short commutes in work clothes, once temps go over 95F you will be cooler in textile than mesh. Mesh is one of those things that sound good but ain't.

ken

Sorry guys, dropped by to sell the bike and can't walk away from a "Hot WX" thread :).

·
Administrator
3,611 Posts
+1 on what Glen said.

Even on short commutes in work clothes, once temps go over 95F you will be cooler in textile than mesh. Mesh is one of those things that sound good but ain't.

ken

Sorry guys, dropped by to sell the bike and can't walk away from a "Hot WX" thread :).
There's my mentor! Hey Ken I hope you're doing well. Since you're not around to give out your sage advice, I'm going to try to fill in for you as best I can. I listened to your wisdom for a long time, and I found it to be just as you said. I appreciate all the good advice you handed out over the years.

Hope to catch up with you someday. Go cut some M&T joints while I chuck up a new bit for my Kreg jig.

Glen

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
There's my mentor! Hey Ken I hope you're doing well. Since you're not around to give out your sage advice, I'm going to try to fill in for you as best I can. I listened to your wisdom for a long time, and I found it to be just as you said. I appreciate all the good advice you handed out over the years.

Hope to catch up with you someday. Go cut some M&T joints while I chuck up a new bit for my Kreg jig.

Glen
Glen,

You are doing a good job.

Nothing worse than an OF telling the younguns how back in the day but damn it's hard to walk away without a short post or two :).

I'm just a couple miles north of the BMRITS (Best Motorcycle Road In The States) I-10. The next time you are passing through Tucson stop and we will cut a few joints. [email protected]

BTW, one of my best days of riding was breakfast with Tom and then going from SA to Luling with you and Tim.

ken

·
Registered
481 Posts
As long as you're moving, LD Comfort undergarments, some judicious dampening and adjusting zippers works VERY well.

But two years ago my commute on a heavily congested eight lane X-way (I-80/94 south of Chicago) was under construction. Lot's of stopping, standing and crawling. The heat given off by semi-tractors coupled with the sun, ambient temps and pavement heat became dangerously hot. So I bought -- and I don't remember the name off hand -- a vest that came with high tech "ice paks" that slipped into front and back pockets. Since I had access to a freezer during the day, keeping them cold was no problem. Anyway, the vest provided remarkably refreshing cooling for about an hour which is often what it took me to cover the 30 mile ride home in the afternoon.

Just another tool for the toolbox for limited circumstances. I would never take this vest when traveling as re-cooling the paks would be virtually impossible.
You may be talking about the RPCM cool vest

http://store.coolvest.com/

I have this and it works for me. No more parking the bike for 3 months of the summer. I also use it for working outdoors in the heat. The high tech ice bags really are better than ice in that they freeze at something like 58f. I have two sets of the bags. On long trips in the heat I carry a big lunch size cooler that fits in my trunk with the second set in it. When the bags stop cooling (usually 1.5-2 hrs for me) I swap them out. They only take about 20 min to freeze solid in ice water. It's not a.c. but it makes the unbearable bearable. I've tried various wicking and evaporative clothing, none of which work as well for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts