GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Office Max has a 512 compact flash card on sale for 99.00 after rebate. I use them in digital cameras and I will use it in my 2610.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That is a great price...

now if only I needed a CF card... lol

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
when i was looking for a gps, i found a 2 gig cf card that would hold the entire garmin detail map cd. it was $ 299.

found via a google search for ---2 gig cf cards.

i thought that would be so great to have the entire country on at one time.

as it turned out i purchased a garmin ique 3600, that unit takes the newer sd cards , which are much more expensive.

loren

·
Registered
175 Posts
I want to upgrade my 2610 to a 2GB card but the cheapest solid state card I have found is 415.00 but I found 2.2GB min drives for 194.00. Is anyone using the min drive and how are they holding up. Is the speed the same on the two types of cards. Thats alot of difference in price if the min drive works well.

Panther

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I have an IBM Micro-Drive in one of my cameras that has worked very well for over 3 years now. The larger Micro-Drives are much faster than the early small ones and work just about as fast as most Solid State Flash cards.

HOWEVER many of the camera folks I know all wonder how my Micro-Drive has lasted this long. It seems that the Micro-Drives are VERY Sensitive to being bumped or jarred while reading or writting. In fact there is a whole industry built up arround retreaving Data from DEAD Micro-Drives.

IF you are very carefull in handeling, as I am with the camera mine is in, then they are very cost effective

BUT for constant use mounted on a M/C bouncing down the road go with a Solid State memory card. The Solid State CF cards can take a licking and keep on ticking.

BTW with my new G5 am am using only Solid-State Compact Flash cards and leaving the Micro-Drive in the old camera that doesn't get bounced around.

JMHO, Jerry

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
gl03

zdnet was the place about a month ago with a rebate was at 299 for a 2 gig cf card--wasnt micro--

today they are at $ 378

the rebate or promotion must be expired

still $ 378 is pretty good

also just saw a 512 at $ 79 after rebate

i also saw if that not big enough , lexar makes a 4 gig card

loren

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
ONE THING to keep in mind with these much, much, much larger (capacity) cards: make sure the hardware you have that uses the card can address all the memory on the card!
There's a lot of "older" (so "yesterday") hardware that can only address 128 or 256mb ... so getting a 2 gb card is going to be a COSTLY mistake.
My camera, for example, is now several years old ... and can't write to a 1gb card ....
I believe that my iQue 3600 can only address 512 mb of card memory ... so, as much as I'd love a 2gb card that could contain the whole USA ... it ain't gonna happen.
Read your manual .... :shock:

·
Registered
307 Posts
loren said:
gl03

zdnet was the place about a month ago with a rebate was at 299 for a 2 gig cf card--wasnt micro--

today they are at $ 378

loren
I checked ZDNET and could not find anything that low priced. Can you posta link or tell me where to look for that $378. 2 Gig card. ? Thanks

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Spotted the $378 price after $50 rebate that expired dec 31 when I call Ecost. Compuplus has 2.2 GB sandisk for $407, and 1 GB for $191. Just played with the program for 2610/2650 and everything east of the mississippi fits on a 1 GB card, about 600 mg west of the mississippi. Then remember, the whole us will take a few hours to upload!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm thinking that the 1 gig may be the way to go. At least if the price drops in the future it won't be such a hit, and the 1 gig will hold a lot of the country. Wonder what happens when you go to an area outside the maps that you can load? Does the factory default map take over and show the major roads and such?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the company that has a 2 gig cf card is called ecost.com

its 378 after rebate with free shipping

its the same place is purchased my sd 512 card for 137 a couple weeks ago

they had the cf card at $ 299 on their web site at xmas time on a countdown sale

if you go in an area that doesnt have the detail map loaded, it will revert back to the base map

you will see larger roads, but no detail

loren

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Rick M said:
I'm thinking that the 1 gig may be the way to go. At least if the price drops in the future it won't be such a hit, and the 1 gig will hold a lot of the country. Wonder what happens when you go to an area outside the maps that you can load? Does the factory default map take over and show the major roads and such?
Rick,
The base maps are pretty detailed and will have even most of the small state routes and bigger local roads. The detailed maps you download are what have all the extra stuff, the restaraunts, points of interest and all that.

You can still go pretty much anywhere you want to go on the base maps, and just need the detailed maps when you want to know all the details about a location.

I have about 36k miles on my GPS V, been from Seattle, to Sand Diego, to Jacksonville FL, and back with only 19megs of detailed maps. I just d/l'ed the parts of Seattle, SD, and Jax that I needed and the base maps got me the rest of the way.

You don't NEED the detailed maps, they are just nice to have!!

With all this talk of needed a lot of memory, I hope folks who aren't familiar with GPS operation think they have to go out and get all that memory to use their units. Granted, it would be nice to have the entire country loaded, but 99.9% of the riders out there don't NEED it!!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mike, I agree 100%. I have a 2610 and put a 512 card in it. I have plenty of maps in it now, but I plan to do some LD rallies and Iron Butt rides , so I would like to be able to have a larger selection of detailed maps with me on the bike. If I get a 1 gig card, with the 512 that I already have, I could load 99.9% of the 48 states and be ready for anything. The casual GPS user will do fine with the included 128 meg card. I was wondering about the base maps because I have never (so far) ridden outside the area that I have maps loaded for. I don't want to depend on a GPS, it could die at any minute, so I always have good old paper maps with me. :wink:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Rick M said:
I was wondering about the base maps because I have never (so far) ridden outside the area that I have maps loaded for.
Gotcha. Didn't know what your experience was, so I just threw lots of stuff out there :)

I agree, for rallies it would be good to have the detailed maps to find the out of the way spots.

I figure I'll be doing good moving from my GPS V to the SPIII I bought used. 128 megs is definitely better than 19 megs! And I keep an eye on ebay for a good deal on additional garmin memory cards, so I can pick another one up for a good price.

I'd say you should be pretty much good to go for any rally short of the IBR! :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
City Navigator 5.0 for the 2610 runs out about half way up British Columbia. If you want detail above the intersection of 99 and TransCanada 1 (you're headed to Alaska or the Yukon or NWT), you'll have to use a program like the Canadian R&R, which isn't sold anymore. I've found that City Navigator 5.0 lacks some detail in the lower 48 that is made up by the US R&R program. I like to get off the beaten path.

With all of that said, in order to get full coverage in some areas, you have to double up and triple up on some maps, which DOES take lots of memory. Not a concern for some one in Florida!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Don't forget about the option of having two (or more) smaller cards. You could segment your trip and download detail maps for half on one card and the other half on another. Then when you cross the midway point, just a quick card change in the GPS. Depending on the day and the deal, this could be a cheaper way to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts