GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently posted about replacing a worn out Bridgestone DG, after 23,000+ miles. That DG had replaced a worn out Pirelli SC, and is now replaced with another new SC. I then realized this provided a chance to compare the DG and SC back to back, then back again, so started this thread to focus on the rather unusual comparison opportunity. With about 200 miles now on SC #2, I can offer the following: I began with SC #1 last year and wore it out after 10,000 miles, then installed the DG. That provided a comparison of a worn out SC with a new DG. I posted about that comparison back then, and noted very little difference between the two tire's handling.

This time, I replaced the worn out DG with another new SC, so now can compare in reverse. Unlike the first comparison, this time the difference is very significant. The SC seems more like a bicycle tire, and just falls over into curves and turns. In both comparisons, it is noteworthy they are slanted, since each compares a new and a worn out tire. However, that relates to the next comparison, which is tire lifespan changes (progressive wonkiness).

In writing about the first SC, I recall noting that it never lost its personality throughout the 10,000 mile life span (did not become progressively wonky). The DG, however, did begin to become noticeably and progressively wonky during the last 5,000 miles. On the other hand, at the 10,000 mile mark, the DG was just getting worn in, whereas the SC had worn out. So if able to have compared the two tires at the 10,000 mark, there likely woulda been very little difference. The SC could not be compared with the DG at anything above 10,000, because the SC never reached that territory.

So considering the above, which tire is best depends on rider priorities: if looking for the absolute best handling in the twisties, the SC wins, but not by much, especially if only comparing with the DG's first 10,000 miles in service. OTOH, if mileage and handling are both important, the DG is an excellent balance. I am gonna enjoy the heck out of this SC, but not decide on the next tire till it nears wear out. For sure it will be another SC or DG, but not sure which at this time.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Thanks for the information/observations! While I've yet to try the DriveGuard, your observations are very helpful. They keep that tire in the back of my mind as a possibility for me as a long distance tire with some good handling characteristics. For what I do in the Ozarks it is hard to beat the SnowControl. And it could do a good job for me on a longer trip unless my plan was to get in more than 5,000 miles. Then a DriveGuard will probably be a wise choice for me.

I can't remember, have you tried the P1 yet? It is another tire that has good handling characteristics, but the mileage would probably be in the same ballpark as the SnowControl.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Monk, I'm running the P1 and currently have over 13,000 miles on it with at least 4/32" remaining. Not a bad tire.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Monk, I'm running the P1 and currently have over 13,000 miles on it with at least 4/32" remaining. Not a bad tire.

I think that has a LOT to do with where you ride. I've worn out 6 P1's and the most I've ever gotten is 5,600 miles. Mostly I can get around 5,000 miles. The tire I got 5,600 miles out of was at the cords. Went way too far with that one. Our chip and seal roads really eat up tires. The SnowControl gives me slightly better mileage and the handling is real close to the same. And I feel like I'm getting a little more lean angle from the SnowControl.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
They chip seal around here too, but I believe your riding style has me beat. :wink2:

Reactions: JoeHall and Tex-Ed

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They chip seal around here too, but I believe your riding style has me beat. :wink2:
I believe you ride two-up most of the time? If so, that may help increase tire mileage.

Reactions: Monk

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Joe, you are correct. Yeah, Leslie won't let me ride like Monk. :wink2:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Getting ready to go DS for the first time ever........my choices were gonna be either a DG or a SC....glad I found this thread......most likely gonna go with the SC, unless somebody comes along and changes my mind before I order it tomorrow night !!

·
Registered
142 Posts
New darksider

Getting ready to go DS for the first time ever........my choices were gonna be either a DG or a SC....glad I found this thread......most likely gonna go with the SC, unless somebody comes along and changes my mind before I order it tomorrow night !!
I'll put in a good word for the SC. Don't have many miles on it yet, but so far it feels just about like an OEM tire. Seems like a good choice.

I just put a SC on about 3 weeks ago to replace the OEM tire with about half tread left. (I'm leaving next week for an extended ride, and didn't want to worry about tire replacement mid trip.)

To be honest I don't really notice any significant difference between the OEM tire and the SC. Both straight line and curves, they seem to handle very similar.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I rode all summer with the SC and its an excellent tire to go DS on. I've put 10K miles on mine and its just now at the wear indicator. You won't be able to tell much difference at all from a MT to the SC. I'm installing a P1 next to see if I get more mileage out of it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mounted the SC last nite.....while the ride home was only about 20 miles, I could barely tell a difference.

I initially inflated it to 32 PSI...by the time I got home it was up to 35 PSI, but the damned TPMS light on my 2018 wouldn't stop flashing.

Two questions:

What is the factory preset PSI that the TPMS light starts flashing at?

Is there a way to lower that preset limit?

If it is preset to flash at say 36 PSI, I will just run the pressure up.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a Parelli SC on a 2018 Goldwing Tour. The TPMS light blinks at 37 lbs.
and it's off at 38 lbs. I run mine at 38.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a Parelli SC on a 2018 Goldwing Tour. The TPMS light blinks at 37 lbs.
and it's off at 38 lbs. I run mine at 38.

Yup...hit 38....continued flashing for a couple of more miles, then stopped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts