GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Moto-Liberty yesterday and I tried on the Nolan N-103. After having worn the HJC Symax-II for nearly a year I can attest that the Nolan appears to be a much higher quality build than the HJC.

The latch mechanism for the flip face is far superior as is the clear shield closing mechanism. A simple flick with one hand is all that is required to lower the windshield on Nolan, I have to use both hands on my HJC, which is pretty dangerous when riding.

I am generally happy with the HJC, but will probably move up to a Nolan this year.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Wow, I was looking at the Yamaha Venture and looked at the Nolan 103 today....I have the Symax ll and feel that the Symax gives better space in front of my jawbone for comfort, and after 1 year of using it, the one handed operation was excellent.

I guess just a difference of opinion......

and the price difference justified the Symax hands down. JMO
I'll stick with my Symax ll for sure tho.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Symax II

My wife and I both have the Symax II helmets and have no issues. We added the EdSets for communication and they work wonderfully, no wind noise and no need for a mic-mute.

·
Registered
356 Posts
A few weeks ago we bought some HJC Symax helmets. Love the fit. Field of vision is good to the sides, satisfied with the flip mechanism and the shield operation but to me the helmets seem to have a lot of wind noise.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have to use both hands on my HJC, which is pretty dangerous when riding.
Spray a little 201 or Plexus on the ratcheting mechanism, work it back & forth a few times & you should be able to flip it with one hand.

Sleddog

·
Registered
740 Posts
There was a post in the past about the Nolan 103 test, and
it didn't get good reviews. I know it doesn't fit me well, and I
remember something about it having quite a bit of wind noise.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
I partially leveled the right side detents on the shield of my Symax II so that primarily the left side detents (where the tab is for lifting/lowering) hold it. Still plenty of detent power for holding at any position, plus I can now lift/lower with one hand. Many helmets have this tab on the left side, but I have one with it in the center and prefer that so that you can lift/lower with the right hand while at a stop holding the clutch. I wonder if the designers even ride a motorcycle?

As far as comparison, the Nolan is a great, quality helmet, but just doesn't fit me as well as the HJC line, and I really dislike the chin strap latch system.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
My flip-up is a Vega Summit II and my brother has the Nolan 103...even he thinks the Vega is a better fitting and definitely lighter helmet than the Nolan 103......

I had the Vega Summit and for me, The facial area and space of the VEGA Summit was superior to that of the Symax ll, however, the plastic latching mechanism of the Vega was lacking, and it broke within 2 years of use. If Vega would make one with a metal latching mechanism, I'd CERTAINLY go back to that model !!!

:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts