GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 195/55/16 Kuhmo and a new 70 series Avon Cobra ( rear for my Valk or Wing ). The c/t weights almost 6 lbs. more
Rich K ( WingSki )

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have the 195/55/16 Kuhmo and a new 70 series Avon Cobra ( rear for my Valk or Wing ). The c/t weights almost 6 lbs. more
Rich K ( WingSki )
I would guess that's true. The CT seems more solid that the MT. I wonder how much of that weight is added rubber to the tread?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ok with fear ill say this,wonder how bad it hurts the aceleration of the bike,say from corner to corner?

remember im not a naysayer please,lol

·
Registered
796 Posts
ok with fear ill say this,wonder how bad it hurts the aceleration of the bike,say from corner to corner?

remember im not a naysayer please,lol
Rick,

I really haven't noticed that my acceleration is worse, in fact I think I have a little better acceleration because I actually have more rubber on the road. I may have lost some acceleration, but I sure don't notice it....but your observation is a legitimate one.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Rick,

I really haven't noticed that my acceleration is worse, in fact I think I have a little better acceleration because I actually have more rubber on the road. I may have lost some acceleration, but I sure don't notice it....but your observation is a legitimate one.

from a dead stop the ct bike should jump out because of traction,but from corner to corner with no wheel spins is what has me wonder?but even if it does who really cares,lol

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I'm thinking better traction equals better acceleration. I am no expert, just my honest opinion. I love my Pirelli, it works for me.:beer3:
true but once under way and past the point of wheel spin the extra wt. costs acceleration,normal riding not much of a point though

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think torque would need to be higher to overcome the additional traction coeffiecient. With the 1800 the only way to accurately measure would be on a dyno and with the torque of the 1800 you would not feel the sight rise required to turn the addtional weight and traction. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thats something I never before considered. The additional rotating mass of a C/T might help explain the increased stability I feel when riding.

Thanks Y/W, Interesting point. Keep asking questions. (seriously)
I am sure there are other aspects of using a car tire that we haven't fully explored. (or maybe I just missed these points cause I'm still a FNG)

........Don

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yellow Wolf;

If I remember right, when you tried the car tire on the Dragon, you
said you could go in deeper and come back out of a corner harder because of better traction. This makes little differance to me because I mostly tour ride. [90%] I do feel a lot better traction in just tour rideing, pulling a camper, site seeing, and just a little wild rideing. I can't do much bacause the wife is with me most of the time. If I scrape pegs when she is on the back, she will hit me. OUCH.:22yikes:

·
Registered
475 Posts
true but once under way and past the point of wheel spin the extra wt. costs acceleration,normal riding not much of a point though
Normal riding is what I do most, wish I had the opportunity to hit the twisties more. You are from a great area for that, I have had the wing through Maggie Valley and surrounding areas, you are lucky to be in that area. I am basically in the flatlands here, but I love it.:beer3:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
yes in no way a bash just thinking out load and that seems to be how folks took it,cool board we have here!!!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The Problem I used to experience with Motorcycle tires was,when I did a burn out from a stop light the back end would go left or right depending on the road I was on at the time..

All my CT's go in a staright line,,Rocky like freshly covered parking lot (That black sealer stiff) For a really long strip..he he he..

As far as the few pounds dereferences between the two types of tires goes??
Well the 1800 just doesn't care if a tire weighs 6 pounds more of if one of the bags/trunk has way more than the 20 pounds you are told by Honda to only stuff them with...

Question for Rick..
When you were running you Video business..Did your bike feel any different when you had the video equipment mounted on your bike loaded to go for filming??

If so could you tell any difference in your bike?? just curious.

You see I tow a trailer sometimes and I don't know the trailer is there unless I have it loaded pretty good (Chicks think they need way to much crapola)
When it's empty I can still do burn outs..

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
yup i could because i ran with the bags empty most of the time,but that was not rotating wt.,,this is not a use or dont use a ct issue so lets not make it one,,ok?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
yup i could because i ran with the bags empty most of the time,but that was not rotating wt.,,this is not a use or dont use a ct issue so lets not make it one,,ok?
YEP....reciprocating velocity....I love that phrase :lol:
and then there's the additional 6 pounds of "unsprung weight"
that hangs off the rear shock..... nothing to effect the acceleration....
but I suppose it changes the rebound and dampening to some extent.
Must not be a noticeable negative effect, as I have not seen any postings to that effect, from CT users.
Might even be a contributor to the smoother ride some report having.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

No no no.I was just curious if you could feel a difference???

Like I said I tow trailer and have two of them,and I can't feel any difference unless one is loaded to much..But even then the 1800 has no problem dragging say 250 plus more pounds and hauling ass in the triple digits when I'm out in no where land (out of sight of the law)..

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Rick has a Point and it probably does Slow it just a tad.
Not enough for me to notice since I ride the wing for what it was intended to be used and Not a Sport bike like some like to think it is.
I guess I need to head back to the track to see how much it slowed me in the quarter Mile. Unfortunately I only remember my best trap speed was 99.
I don't remember but I think 13.2 was the time.
I'm betting my launches would be alot better and I wouldn't even need to do a Burn out. I did slip almost every launch on the MT.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
not sure but between the grip you get off the start mite off set the wt in a 1/4 mile run,,a guess and just a guess is it would hurt the most in roll ons???

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
not sure but between the grip you get off the start mite off set the wt in a 1/4 mile run,,a guess and just a guess is it would hurt the most in roll ons???
Back when I was more active in the F-body forums and owned an 01 Camaro that ran Mid 12s I remember the Drag racers wanted Heavy Flywheels for launching, But Lower weight Wheels and tires to lower the Unsprung weight.
For the Track Guys they wanted Ligher Flywheels for faster spin up of the engine out of a corner. They needed heaviers wheels and tires to handle the side loads.
Either way, I dont' remember it making a Huge difference. But some guys were so into it that they would Pull the jack and spare tire out of the car before racing to lighten the car. Some went as far as Pulling the fuse to the head lights. Don't know how much of a difference it made.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts