GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
While I am not currently on a trike.....Mrs. has said that will be the next bike purchase...probably 18 months off, so lots of time to look/compare. With that said, I have tried to search forums for trike discussion. Found several threads discussing some differences between trike A and B, some personal preferences, etc.

I am curious if there is a comparison sheet/checklist for the different trikes...CSC, Hannigan, Motor Trike, x,y,z. From reading, it seems that the rake kit and upgraded brakes are pretty important.

In time, I hope to be looking for a 2015 or newer...how can you ascertain what upgrades are on a used trike when you are looking at it, if it is coming from the builder.

Thanks for tolerating the neophyte questions.
Bryon

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
I don't know if there's a checklist, but just keep looking and asking questions till you find the one you want. Check out the manufacturer's websites, they should have all the upgrades.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
When I was looking at trikes I couldn't find a checklist so I just downloaded all the kit price/option lists from the manufactures websites then attempted to compare them price wise. The reason I say attempted it's just like cars they change the names of what they call the same thing on different kits. After I did that I ask a lot of questions of both the manufactures and also different owners then rode every model I could. Bottom line I decided on Roadsmith then went to Russellville, AR and rode booth the Roadsmith and a Hannigan and ended up leaving with the Hannigan because the wife and I both were more comfortable on it. This has nothing against a Roadsmith as I would buy one in a flash if in the market for another trike and the price was right. The trike I'm now riding has 85K on it with only problem being a wheel bearing on the right rear for some reason.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We too looked at many and rode all that we could.
We decided on CSC and really like it. We bought ours 5-6 years ago it is a 2010 Honda Goldwing CSC Cobra Trike. It only had 6,000 or so miles on it and got a heck of a deal.
There are many low mileage used bikes to trike and also many triked ones with low mileage too if you are looking for that.
Good luck and enjoy the search!

·
Registered
96 Posts
As a Trike owner I will tell you to ride as many different tikes as posable before you decide on one. I choose Roadsmith due to price and features. Look them up at roadsmithtrikes.com. I can see that you are from Seymour IL. There is a excellent dealer in Litchfield, IL. Niehaus Cycle sells Roadsmith, CSC and Lehman. They do have nice used one from time to time.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a Trike owner I will tell you to ride as many different tikes as posable before you decide on one. I choose Roadsmith due to price and features. Look them up at roadsmithtrikes.com. I can see that you are from Seymour IL. There is a excellent dealer in Litchfield, IL. Niehaus Cycle sells Roadsmith, CSC and Lehman. They do have nice used one from time to time.
Thanks Wingrider for the call out to Niehaus Honda!
They are my dealer of choice...when I have to have shop work done on my 08 1800 I currently ride, they are where I go.
I have not had time to go down there to talk to them as of yet; had hoped to visit about this topic at their Appreciation Days....but covid took a toll on that idea.

I noted that many of the used trikes that they have had since I started looking were CSC....but I don't know enough about what is different between the brands to know what to ask....hence my question beginning here.

The whole trike thing is a concession to my wife....but in fairness to her, I have put off bi-lateral knee replacement for 5 years as the doctors say I am still too young (not quite 62) and still too active...the second set of replacements do not go as well as the first....

As we have been a team for nearly 40 years, trying to keep the team together;)
thanks again
bryon

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello all
While I am not currently on a trike.....Mrs. has said that will be the next bike purchase...probably 18 months off, so lots of time to look/compare. With that said, I have tried to search forums for trike discussion. Found several threads discussing some differences between trike A and B, some personal preferences, etc.

I am curious if there is a comparison sheet/checklist for the different trikes...CSC, Hannigan, Motor Trike, x,y,z. From reading, it seems that the rake kit and upgraded brakes are pretty important.

In time, I hope to be looking for a 2015 or newer...how can you ascertain what upgrades are on a used trike when you are looking at it, if it is coming from the builder.

Thanks for tolerating the neophyte questions.
Bryon
Having come from a 2015 Tri-glide, I focused on the Rake Kit and Large brakes, Storage, Comfort and Appearance when I was shopping for my new trike. The CSC Encore checked all of the boxes for me and I'm very happy with my decision!

As to ascertaining what upgrades, the only think I can help you with is: a CSC with Power Steer ( their name for a 6* rake kit) will have the letters CSC stamped on the fork wishbone.

Good luck with your hunt.
Jim

·
Registered
207 Posts
I recently purchased a Hannigan Trike from American Bike & Trike. What made me choose Hannigan was first it was converted from a 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour. I felt the DCT was a must as I had owned a two wheel version previously. The other things that impressed me were that they used a Ford Thunderbird differential and the other parts of the drive train were from a Honda Civic ie: half shafts, brakes and wheel hubs. That meant they could all be reasonably sourced. As far as the body goes, I really liked the shape of the Hannigan kit. It also has running boards that open up to let air vent over your shoes. When they are closed, you can't tell where they open up. I've only had mine a little over a week with about 500 miles under my belt but I'm very glad I made the purchase.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I recently purchased a Hannigan Trike from American Bike & Trike. What made me choose Hannigan was first it was converted from a 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour. I felt the DCT was a must as I had owned a two wheel version previously. The other things that impressed me were that they used a Ford Thunderbird differential and the other parts of the drive train were from a Honda Civic ie: half shafts, brakes and wheel hubs. That meant they could all be reasonably sourced. As far as the body goes, I really liked the shape of the Hannigan kit. It also has running boards that open up to let air vent over your shoes. When they are closed, you can't tell where they open up. I've only had mine a little over a week with about 500 miles under my belt but I'm very glad I made the purchase.
Are you talking about the company in Keene New Hampshire here???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts