GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted here in the past, of opportunities I had to compare a new Bridgestone DG with a worn out Pirelli SC, then later a worn out DG with a new SC. This time, due to a quirk, I am able to compare both new, back to back. I recently mounted a SC, and it immediately began to leak 2 PSI per day. After about 1000 miles, I got tired of fooling with it, so today installed a new DG, I had mounted on a spare wheel and laid aside.

Today, I went for a 45 mile ride on the new DG, to compare it with the SC. I kept forgetting to compare, since handling was nearly identical. If I did not know the DG was on the rear, it woulda been difficult to discern which one I was riding on. Later, I decided I probably could tell, but it would take at least 10 miles to pick up on the subtleties. Near home, coming into my favorite sweeper, I scraped the floorboard, as I often do nowadays. It took no more or less effort, and felt no different, than if on the SC.

I am not a spirited rider, but to me, the SC and DG are extremely close in handling characteristics, when comparing both new.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Good info, Joe. I've been debating giving the DG a try when I replace the P1, though the SC looks really good too. It may be a coin toss.

·
IronMan
17,105 Posts
I have posted here in the past, of opportunities I had to compare a new Bridgestone DG with a worn out Pirelli SC, then later a worn out DG with a new SC. This time, due to a quirk, I am able to compare both new, back to back. I recently mounted a SC, and it immediately began to leak 2 PSI per day. After about 1000 miles, I got tired of fooling with it, so today installed a new DG, I had mounted on a spare wheel and laid aside.

Today, I went for a 45 mile ride on the new DG, to compare it with the SC. I kept forgetting to compare, since handling was nearly identical. If I did not know the DG was on the rear, it woulda been difficult to discern which one I was riding on. Later, I decided I probably could tell, but it would take at least 10 miles to pick up on the subtleties. Near home, coming into my favorite sweeper, I scraped the floorboard, as I often do nowadays. It took no more or less effort, and felt no different, than if on the SC.

I am not a spirited rider, but to me, the SC and DG are extremely close in handling characteristics, when comparing both new.
DAM HOT RODDERS !!! GIVING WINGERS A BAD NAME SCRAPING N SPARKING GOING DOWN THE ROAD !!:surprise: I'VE HAD 3 DG AND LIKE BETTER THAN YOKO OR KUMHO. HAVENT TRIED THE SC . HAVE DG MOUNTED READY TO PUT ON GOT LITTLE MORE LEFT OF MY ALPINE .

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Good info, Joe. I've been debating giving the DG a try when I replace the P1, though the SC looks really good too. It may be a coin toss.
I tried a DG before I got my first P1. As long as they make P1's my bike will never see a another DG. I have never tried a SC but I am so pleased with the P1. There is no need to. JMHO

·
Registered
244 Posts
I tried a DG before I got my first P1. As long as they make P1's my bike will never see a another DG. I have never tried a SC but I am so pleased with the P1. There is no need to. JMHO
What about the P1 do you like better than the Driveguard?

I was on the fence regarding replacing my SC with P1 or Driveguard. Read a post where someone said the P1 was much more "wonky" at slow speeds / uneven pavement than the Driveguard, so I decided on the Driveguard. Have not mounted it yet, since my SC still has ample tread.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
What about the P1 do you like better than the Driveguard?

I was on the fence regarding replacing my SC with P1 or Driveguard. Read a post where someone said the P1 was much more "wonky" at slow speeds / uneven pavement than the Driveguard, so I decided on the Driveguard. Have not mounted it yet, since my SC still has ample tread.
The P1 is the 5th different brand of CT that I have used and it is the least "wonky" of all. The tire I have on now has 24k miles on it and still has a rounder profile than any of the others I have used. It also is wearing more even across the tread than any of the others. So far the only downside I can find is it is an asymmetrical tread design and I can't mount them myself but the local Tire Kingdom will mount them for $10.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The P1 is the 5th different brand of CT that I have used and it is the least "wonky" of all. The tire I have on now has 24k miles on it and still has a rounder profile than any of the others I have used. It also is wearing more even across the tread than any of the others. So far the only downside I can find is it is an asymmetrical tread design and I can't mount them myself but the local Tire Kingdom will mount them for $10.
thanks for your input!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
My experience with both the SC and the DG has me basically concurring with Joe’s findings. I do find the SC ever so slightly more nimble than the DG, but for over twice the mileage out of the DG for basically the same $$, it remains, by far, my overall favorite, and I’ve worn out nearly all the favorites...

Haven’t punished a P1 yet, but its on my to-do list...

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
What have you been running for pressure in the P1?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
What pressure did you run in the DG? Ive run and put up with lots of “wonky”, but to me, the DG is the least wonky...

YMMV, just makes me wonder what made you dislike the DG?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
What pressure did you run in the DG? Ive run and put up with lots of “wonky”, but to me, the DG is the least wonky...

YMMV, just makes me wonder what made you dislike the DG?

I didn't say I "disliked" the DG. I just said I liked the P1 better. Matter of fact I would say the DG would come in 2nd. so far. I would probably still be running a DG if I hadn't mounted one for a friend and he raved about it so much I had to try one. BTW if you put the two side by side you can see the P1 has a lot rounder profile.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't say I "disliked" the DG. I just said I liked the P1 better. Matter of fact I would say the DG would come in 2nd. so far. I would probably still be running a DG if I hadn't mounted one for a friend and he raved about it so much I had to try one. BTW if you put the two side by side you can see the P1 has a lot rounder profile.
I stood up the inflated DG and SC side by side. Both will stand still on their own, but the SC is easier to tip over, with only a flick of the finger. Not much more for the DG though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would like to mount a Bridgestone DriveGuard on my spare rear rim and need help with correct size and where are you buying them from?
Navigating tire websites either do not have correct size or that model? I have a 2012 GW. Thanks. D

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I would like to mount a Bridgestone DriveGuard on my spare rear rim and need help with correct size and where are you buying them from?
Navigating tire websites either do not have correct size or that model? I have a 2012 GW. Thanks. D
195/55/16 is the most popular(205/55/16 may rub) and a lot get theirs online, use 2006 or so Mini Cooper for the vehicle. They may or may not question buying just 1 tire, if they do tell them it's on the wife's car and she ran over some metal and the others are like brand new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts