GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visual comparison - oe tire/195/175

Still a lot of interest in this tire, so I'm bumping it back to the top so those who are interested can see the actual tire compared to others.

Here's the 175-60 Dunlop Wintersport 3D Run Flat....the 195-55 Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Run Flat compared to each other and to a like new 180-60 Metzeler rear.

Here is the three tires side by side. I'm guessing you'll be able to determine which is which:;)

Here is the 175-60 next to the 195-55

Here is the 175-60 next to the 180-60 Metz motto tire

So, as you can readily see the 175-60 is shorter & narrower than the 195-55. It is also smaller than the stock size, 180-60.

My impressions on the handling differences are contained in another post called "The Bridge".

Hope these pictures answer some questions.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Paul thanks for posting these tires side by side..It good for everyone else to see these too and make up there own minds...:thumbup:

I'm staying where I am.. (you already knew that too) :doorag:

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Paul,
Thanks for posting :bow: . It will help the ones that are interested in the 175 :smile: . I"m with Rocky though. I'm very satisfied with the 195/55.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Wintersport is as quiet as a mouse, just like all CTs.

Never thought about the shorter tire for shorter riders. I never noticed the shorter stance, if there was one. I was just trying to find a CT with more of the handling characteristics of a motto tire. This is the answer for me.

Gonna leave it on 100% of the time now and see what kind of mileage I get out of it.

As I stated in my "Bridge" post, it does throw the speedo off a little more, but I don't pay much attention to that in the twisties. And, for the slab, I have the Zumo.

Any 3D guys out there? What kind of mileage have you gotten?

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Paul,
Have you noticed less ground and/or cornering clearance? I would think there would be with it being a little shorter than the 195/55 or the 180/60.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frosty,

Haven't noticed any less clearance at all in the curves.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Paul, did you notice any difference with the bike on the side stand or on the center stand?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I have a dream

Trialsman, board, If only. If some day. If maybe. If there will ever

be a taller tire, as the 70 series. I have a dream.

Trialsman thank's for the post. Looks very grippy.

(Vanco not)

·
Registered
511 Posts
There's a lot of good insight in these post. I will be considering these when it comes time for a new tire

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
It's got a nice tread pattern

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paul, did you notice any difference with the bike on the side stand or on the center stand?

Not really...But I was in the process of lenghtening the sidestand anyway by taking two trike takeoffs and blending them to make a stock stand that's an inch longer. I've felt it leaned too much since upgrading the suspension.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
By the tire number the 175 would be narrower than the 180. Kit

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Frosty,

Haven't noticed any less clearance at all in the curves.
Thanks Paul. That's good. Maybe with the upgrading of the suspension it has given you more clearance than a stock suspension. I would think that is the case seeing as how you are wanting to lenghten your side stand. I would think that with stock suspenders there might be a little less clearance seeing as the tire is just a little shorter but not by much. Shouldn't pose a problem to the average rider though, I wouldn't think! IMO.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Verrrry interesting :!:

Other than the typical DarkSide application this tire may be of interest to a few Hack Pilots.

Many of us, if not most, with Sidecars for our GL1800's run CT's on the rear for a number of reasons not the least of which is the wear factor being very poor with a MC tire and the side loads.

Along with the CT application a number have chosen to use the 195-50 size to gear the rig down a little and this tire looks like it will be just the ticket for them.

I still have a Kumho Ice Bear 195-50 on one rim just for that purpose on occcasion when the Hack and Trailer are both attached. It as about worn out --- soooo one of these may replace it. It even looks like a better general purpose Winter tire than the Ice Bear has been too. ;)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know pictures can be deceiving sometimes from many factors..

But from this picture it looks like the CT is narrower than the Metz's??

It is narrower, Rocky, by at least 1/2 to 3/4s of an inch by my ruler measurement. That's probably why it corners so much like a motto tire.;)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Paul..That's kind what I was thinking by the tires dimensions from the Discount tire calculator,But seeing them side by side is better to see how what you are/were describing about it's feel to a MT...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Question???

Trailsman, Are the two tires mounted and inflated?

-----180-60-16 and the 175-60-16-----

1 - 20 of 34 Posts