24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have a compass on my bike. I've tried a couple of
Walmart/Car Part Store specials and they simply don't work. Does
anyone know of an add-on compass that works and isn't to ugly? or
expensive! Thanks.

G

·
Don't know what you consider too ugly or too expensive and don't know if this one works but you can see it here: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1311
Personally I think it is all of the above.

Formotion makes a line of insturments for motorcycles and they do work quite nicely. I don't think they are ugly or too expensive as all cycle stuff is over priced. I use their small white faced compass on the Road Star and it definately works but it took a bit of time to adjust for magnetic variation as mine came to me broken. I glued it back together rather than return and had to figure out the variation setting since it could go back together a couple of different ways. Had to set it twice and it works flawlessly for nearly two years now. They have a couple of different lines of insturments but I think the Signature line has the compasses. Their old larger compass, if you can find one, was being dumped a couple of years back when the new smaller versions came out.

You can see them here: http://www.formotionproducts.com/

You should shop around as some dealers beat the factory pricing but not by much last time I checked. I use some of their other products on the Star and they are all very good items.

Later,

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an optronics brand compass that is liquid filled. I think it is intended for marine applications. Not certain, but I think it came from Wally World, inexpensive. Found a size that fit perfectly in the space just to the right of the key slot for the right fairing pocket. Mounted with velcro and still there after about 10 months. That location works great and the compass indication is steady and accurate enough for my needs.
Previously had one mounted on a dash panel on an ST1100 and it was always in motion, not very useful.

Sonny

·
Registered
609 Posts
Someone in the past posts said that Sears had a good compass that could be used on Goldwings.
I even throught about it at one time,but it slipped my brain dead mind!!It was located in auto dept for about 25.00 dollars if i remember correctly.
Maybe someone will remember where to look.
Also let us know the outcome of purchase.
ride safe,
edmund

·
Registered
609 Posts
These are nice looking gauges,but how would you mount to goldwing handle bars or etc.
all other bikes have round pipe type of handle bars to fasten the compass mount too.
edmund

·
Registered
74 Posts
compass

With the speakers located as they are, you will have a difficult time finding a compass that will work or that could be trusted. The magnets on them play games with a compass. I tried mounting one in several locations it was never accurate or dependable.........Good luck.............Tom

·
Registered
609 Posts
Someone in the past posts said that Sears had a good compass that could be used on Goldwings.
I even throught about it at one time,but it slipped my brain dead mind!!It was located in auto dept for about 25.00 dollars if i remember correctly.
Maybe someone will remember where to look.
Also let us know the outcome of purchase.

This is the one I was talking about as follows:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... 2823009000

edmund

1 - 12 of 12 Posts