GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a new to me 2010 wing. it has a ram ball mount and stereo jack for a gps and go pro. I was told by the owner that he used regular car gps (currently have a garmin nuvi 765t and a 2597lmt )

I want a FULL 5" or 7" screen but it seems these acording to the garmin website don"t have stereo jacks.....am I missing something.....why wouldn't they have that feature...

So what would you suggest that would give me this ability.

jer

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am looking at this one

RV 760LMT

I do alot of camping but not an RV;er BUT it has the jacks and is big and has loudspeakers for when I am not plugged in.

jer

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Zumo 660. Made and designed for motorcycle use, including weather proofing. If you don`t have XM on your model, then you could go for the 665 which has XM radio capabilities. JMHO
I am currently running the Zumo 550 with XM and lifetime membership. Has been a great unit!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Gps

I would get a GPS that is made for a motorcycle. It would be waterproof, and made to take the rough roads we ride. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I have the GARMIN 760 which has the audio jack. I've had this one for going on the third season and it's mounted in a RAM Aquabox. You DON'T need to spend all the money for a Zumo because it's "for motorcycles". Yes, they are water resistant...but that's what the Aquabox gives me and I only have $150 invested (found the 760 refurb really cheap with a warranty too). The 760 also has an MP3 player, bluetooth for your phone, accepts SD cards, has an external satellite antenna jack, decent size screen.....I'm very happy with it. Oh, and it also accepts routes too.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah now to find a refurbished one :roll:

jer

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
This looks like a good option steve.....I have a link to something someone did to from the fella I bought the bike from. check this out.....think this is AWESOME.

http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html

jer
There is also a thread on the forum by this fella. After reading it, I decided to give the 7" screen 2797 a try. I like the thought of a bigger screen, especially when I am hunting for a location. I have a kydex holster maker who is currently making me a holder for the Garmin, with a RAM mount ball screwed to the back. I have used clear baggies in the past with great success, and will use them until I lose the GPS due to water. So far, so good.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
he bud hey have a ram mount for it or are you talking about portable now?

jer

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've been following the GPS threads with interest; my nuvi doesn't have an audio output jack (no nuvi does from what I can gather).

My question is this: If I open the case and wire in (from the speaker leads) an audio output jack (similar to the greg rice idea), will it hook up properly to the "plug and play" adapter that hooks audio into the intercom? I think it is from EC.

There are many nuvi models available and I would rather add an audio output jack than spend mega bucks on a different model JUST to get the audio output jack. The end result, in any case, is to be able to use the adapter that hooks the audio into the intercom circuit.

:?:Whatcha think?:?:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
All the adapter is looking for is an electronic signal to send. It does not know where it comes from nor whether the factory created the Jack or you did. There is no reason it will not work, as long as you do the wiring correctly.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've been following the GPS threads with interest; my nuvi doesn't have an audio output jack (no nuvi does from what I can gather).

My question is this: If I open the case and wire in (from the speaker leads) an audio output jack (similar to the greg rice idea), will it hook up properly to the "plug and play" adapter that hooks audio into the intercom? I think it is from EC.

There are many nuvi models available and I would rather add an audio output jack than spend mega bucks on a different model JUST to get the audio output jack. The end result, in any case, is to be able to use the adapter that hooks the audio into the intercom circuit.

My Nuvi 660 has an audio jack, bluetooth, and MP3 player, plus provisions for using an external mic if your using the standard Nuvi base... I used it on my last bike and my current bike before buying my Zumo 665... So if your going that direction, look for a Nuvi 660 and you'll have the functionality mentioned above... On my Zumo, I also subscribe to XM, XM Nav Weather and XM Nav traffic and also use the MP3 player and I do load custom routes into it as well...

Les

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

I did just that, the "Greg Rice" mod on a nuvi 2595 lmt.

I broke out the audio out and audio in the 3.5 mm plugs as the 2595 like Greg's 2795 has voice nav and i Bluetooth my phone to it so I can also talk on the phone or give the GPS voice input to find locations etc...

·
Registered
374 Posts
jer-

I'd looked at the Dezl 760LMT, it has a big screen, audio out and a good price BUT...since it is 18 wheeler specific, are those truck functions able to muted or disabled to make it usable for a bike?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KY.....that's ok....I tend to use truckers routes to and truck stops......but you can also just make a route.....I will check on it....maybe someone on here knows.....I just wanted to get the output jack without having to dick around.....I am sure you can put in a different card too.....jer

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks!

It seems, then, that the 760 gives me a big screen and an audio output without opening the case......and it's affordable!

Switching from an 1100 to an 1800 has caused numerous unexpected expenses....LOL

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts