GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imported my 2003 Bushtec trailer into Canada today and went to get it inspected at Canadian Tire as part of the RIV process. The inspector had to locate the Compliance sticker as part of the process. We could not find one in any of the locations the factory said to look. Do other Bushtec owners have this sticker on the tongue or near the key to open the lid? The factory has said that they will ship me one for $10.00, but I would have thought that it would have come on the trailer new. Thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm not sure, but it may be on the bottom towards the front

·
Registered
66 Posts
Imported my 09 Bushtec in May. Sticker on hitch, left side between where the cooler sits and the front of the trailer box. Strange that yours isn't there also. Maybe got rub off by PO. If you look hard at DRn151's signature picture you can actually see his. White sticker just under his cooler.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked everywhere and it is not there. Guess I will have to fork over the 10 dollars. Canaman, do you use the full size trailer plates in Alberta and were the plate mounting bolts in the proper place for you? if not, what did you do to correct it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I imported my 2003 Bushtec trailer into Canada today and went to get it inspected at Canadian Tire as part of the RIV process. The inspector had to locate the Compliance sticker as part of the process. We could not find one in any of the locations the factory said to look. Do other Bushtec owners have this sticker on the tongue or near the key to open the lid? The factory has said that they will ship me one for $10.00, but I would have thought that it would have come on the trailer new. Thanks
Did you have to supply them with a letter of recall notice from the manufacturer like required for a motor vehicle? Just wondering as I am considering buying a U.S. trailer as well.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Baydog;
I asked and they said that because it is a trailer, I did not need one. That being said, I had Amanda at Bushtec send me one anyway but I did not need it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the info kampinguru, good to know. What did all the fees amount to, I suspect C/T must get some and also of course the gov.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The RIV fee is 204.75 plus GST. That covers the Canadian Tire inspection and the paper work. You still have to pay GST on the Canadian Value of what you buy. You pay the 5% GST portion at the border and the Provinical PST at the licensing office when you register it in your name. The usual vehicle registration fee also applies when changing it to your name.

·
Registered
66 Posts
RIV fees

My Bushtec trailer was imported in May in Alberta and my RIV fee was $195 plus GSTbut my Aspen Classic which I imported two weekends ago was $195 plus GST/HST. That doesn't make sense. Now that I just thought about it my Bustec was imported in Alberta whereas the Aspen was imported in BC so I was also nabbed HST as I had entered Canada in BC which has HST whereas AB doesn't.
You DO need the recall letter for the RIV. My Alberta border crew faxed it to RIV but the BC crew had me do it.
Kampinguru, I do have a full size license plate as PO also had the full sized plate and all the bolts and nuts for the chrome plate holder were included.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found it finally under the carpet over the LH taillight inside the trailer. I had to remove the access panel carpet.
Canaman, not sure about the recall letter as I went into the RIV office in person. I know the website asks for this, but when I asked the lady behind the counter when I was doing the transaction, she said we dont need them for cargo trailers. I did need one for my RV when I brought it in. I think that because "trailer" is a broad term, they ask for them for all trailers but in reality, they dont require it for processing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was told the same thing. They do not require a recall letter for a cargo trailer, just the Statement of Compliance sticker. My trailer purchase fell through so I'm back hunting for one. It's good to have the info ahead of time, now I know what to look for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts