GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is debating on purchasing a used BMW LT (2005 w/3k miles). I don't know much about BMWs except that they are ausume bikes but are expensive to very expensive to maintain.

Is it true about the maintenance?
Is it true about the cost to maintain?
Why is maintenance more on a BMW than on my Goldwing.

All I do on my wing is change oil, tires and brakes.

Thanks

Freddy

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi Pete :) I am not going there Pete... Still love BMW motorcycle's and there dealers and the people that ride them.

Freddy do a search on this site with my user name [doug44] to look at some of my earlier posts and comments on this very subject.

·
Registered
638 Posts
It is my understanding that parts and accessories for the BMW are more expensive than the Wing. I have no knowledge of service labor rates but would assume they are similar to Honda's.
I do know that there are a lot more third party accessories available for Wings then for BMW's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The two biggest differences would be BMW recommends checking the valve lash clearance at 12,000 miles vs. 32,000 for the Wing and annual brake fluid changes that require special BMW dealer tools.

The engine is somewhat more time consuming to service. The engine uses a spin-on oil filter but it is mounted in the engine. One must take a plate off to remove the filter. The transmission is a separate case and uses separate oil. One must remove a skid plate, a muffler hanger, and the right front footpeg bracket to change transmission oil. The rear drive unit is serviced the same way as the Wing.

The air filter is under the fuel tank and requires removal of top plastic and removal of fuel tank. It is less time consuming than removing one from the Wing. It has a fuel filter mounted in the fuel tank which can be serviced the same time that the air filter is.

The brake fluid change is probably best left for the dealer to do. Other than that, most with some mechanical skills could do on their own.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,548 Posts
slmorley said:
The air filter is under the fuel tank and requires removal of top plastic and removal of fuel tank. It is less time consuming than removing one from the Wing.
Less time consuming, it sure doesn't sound like it :) With all the complaints here on this forum about changing the Wings air filter, can you imagine the uproar here on this forum if you had to also remove the fuel tank from the Wing to replace the air filter :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts