GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put together a comprehensive toolkit to carry on the bike. I have done all repairs on my previous bikes up to and including changing transmissions, final drives (re-sealing) and valve adjustments but I try to leave the big repairs for my shop. I would like to know what to carry and what sizes to cover roadside repairs such as tire changes and access to various sub-systems, seat removal etc. What do you carry?

Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I carry a tire repair kit; factory toolkit; gorilla tape, various zip ties and safety wire; allen set (about the size of a leatherman multi-tool) credit card; and cell phone :)

Most of what I carry has been used to help various riders who did not pack what they needed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I carry a tire repair kit; factory toolkit; gorilla tape, various zip ties and safety wire; allen set (about the size of a leatherman multi-tool) credit card; and cell phone :)

Most of what I carry has been used to help various riders who did not pack what they needed.
I concur with your sentiment but as an old Scoutmaster I have to be prepared. No factory toolkit with the 2016.

Robert

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I got my 2012 (new to me in 2012, it did not have the factory tool kit. I bought one, like new condition on Ebay. When I received the toolkit I was nicely surprised about the versatility of the tools and the quality of the metal.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I would like to put together a comprehensive toolkit to carry on the bike. I have done all repairs on my previous bikes up to and including changing transmissions, final drives (re-sealing) and valve adjustments but I try to leave the big repairs for my shop. I would like to know what to carry and what sizes to cover roadside repairs such as tire changes and access to various sub-systems, seat removal etc. What do you carry?

Thanks, Robert.
...............and I quote ................. Robert does the "small stuff. "I have done all repairs on my previous bikes up to and including changing transmissions...... "

Small, like TRANSMISSIONS !!!! Anyway.........to answer your question....................... I carry a cell phone.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I always figured that most tools won't help because you will probably need parts. Like was said before cell phone and I also carry a credit card.

Reactions: Danl and jlbc212

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Truly, what level of repair do you envision doing while 3000 miles from home?

Remember - it's a Honda you're discussing, not another brand of bike. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
...............and I quote ................. Robert does the "small stuff. "I have done all repairs on my previous bikes up to and including changing transmissions...... "

Small, like TRANSMISSIONS !!!! Anyway.........to answer your question....................... I carry a cell phone.
I meant my personal shop, NOT a dealership.

Robert

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Truly, what level of repair do you envision doing while 3000 miles from home?

Remember - it's a Honda you're discussing, not another brand of bike. :mrgreen:
I hear you, but I have old habits.
Robert.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Search. There have been a few threads on this. The tools for wheel removal for sure. Fred's piece of wood for a front wheel "jack" too - 1 x 4 x 7 or 7.5" I think. Spare headlight bulb, maybe turn signal bulb, or a relay. Honestly, in 30k miles or so, I might add some wheel bearings after my last episode. But for the most part, a cell phone and credit card will do.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
goldwing

How many tools do you carry in your car?

It's a Goldwing!!

Credit card and cell phone is more than enough.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
8,10,12,14,17,19mm deep sockets. 22(?)mm front axle nut socket, 10, 12mm wiggler sockets, 1/4“ and 3/8” drive extensions, 4,5,6mm hex key 3/8” sockets. Torx socket for the bolt on the left front brake secondary master cylinder link (don’t remember the #) 8,10,12,14mm rachet/open end wrenches. 3/8 and 1/4” combination extendable rachet from Harbor freight, 6” vice grips, needle nose pliers, Phillips and flat blade screwdriver and a 12v test light. Couple these with a set of OEM front brake pads(they are thinner and will work on any position on the bike) a spare alternator, a 32 oz bottle of gas, a 3’ length of gorilla duct tape folded on itself in a 3” length package (so I don’t carry a large roll) wire ties and electrical tape. All this fits in a small 2”x6”x12” Tupperware type box from Wally World, and you have a complete tool and emergency kit that with the exception of four specialty sockets, I’ve pulled and replaced an entire motor on a GL1800...

I’m of the opinion that others can be victims, but I’ll do my best to never wear that hat...

In over 750k miles on 1500 and 1800’s, I’ve only been on the back of a tow truck once, (transmission) and had my bikes in a shop on the road 3 times, all for tires...

:thumbup:

Oh, and an iPad Pro with complete repair manual and parts fische in the trunk.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This is the kit I put together for my 2018. I just made a list of the tools I used while performing maintenance or adding accessories and combined them all in a kit. This should cover the majority of what I should need.

1. 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet - it has a button that you can release and extend the handle another 6 inches for more leverage
2. Sockets - 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 19, and 22mm with a spark plug socket also a Philips head and flat head screwdriver socket
3. Hex bit sockets - 4, 5, 6, and 10mm also a 3/16" used on highway peg install
4. 3/8 to 1/2 adapter for the larger sockets
5. 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive extensions
6. 6" crescent wrench
7. Patch kit with 6 20 gram vials and 3 16 gram vials, inflator adapter and valve stem remover
8. Tread depth indicator
9. Tire pressure gauge
10. 5 zip ties
11. a 2 pack of 2032 batteries for the fob
12. spare screws and small Allen wrench for the grips
13. Microstart XP-1 with compressor

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I carry a factory Harley Davidson toolkit in my saddlebag that I bought off eBay. I never know when I might have to help get one of my H-D buddies back on the road.
I never ever bash other riders and other motorcycle brands.....but this comment is really, really funny!...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
8,10,12,14,17,19mm deep sockets. 22(?)mm front axle nut socket, 10, 12mm wiggler sockets, 1/4“ and 3/8” drive extensions, 4,5,6mm hex key 3/8” sockets. Torx socket for the bolt on the left front brake secondary master cylinder link (don’t remember the #) 8,10,12,14mm rachet/open end wrenches. 3/8 and 1/4” combination extendable rachet from Harbor freight, 6” vice grips, needle nose pliers, Phillips and flat blade screwdriver and a 12v test light. Couple these with a set of OEM front brake pads(they are thinner and will work on any position on the bike) a spare alternator, a 32 oz bottle of gas, a 3’ length of gorilla duct tape folded on itself in a 3” length package (so I don’t carry a large roll) wire ties and electrical tape. All this fits in a small 2”x6”x12” Tupperware type box from Wally World, and you have a complete tool and emergency kit that with the exception of four specialty sockets, I’ve pulled and replaced an entire motor on a GL1800...

I’m of the opinion that others can be victims, but I’ll do my best to never wear that hat...

In over 750k miles on 1500 and 1800’s, I’ve only been on the back of a tow truck once, (transmission) and had my bikes in a shop on the road 3 times, all for tires...

:thumbup:

Oh, and an iPad Pro with complete repair manual and parts fische in the trunk.

This is the information I was looking for. Thank you.
Robert, another non-victim.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the kit I put together for my 2018. I just made a list of the tools I used while performing maintenance or adding accessories and combined them all in a kit. This should cover the majority of what I should need.

1. 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet - it has a button that you can release and extend the handle another 6 inches for more leverage
2. Sockets - 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 19, and 22mm with a spark plug socket also a Philips head and flat head screwdriver socket
3. Hex bit sockets - 4, 5, 6, and 10mm also a 3/16" used on highway peg install
4. 3/8 to 1/2 adapter for the larger sockets
5. 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive extensions
6. 6" crescent wrench
7. Patch kit with 6 20 gram vials and 3 16 gram vials, inflator adapter and valve stem remover
8. Tread depth indicator
9. Tire pressure gauge
10. 5 zip ties
11. a 2 pack of 2032 batteries for the fob
12. spare screws and small Allen wrench for the grips
13. Microstart XP-1 with compressor

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I tend to rely on myself and the cell phone and credit card is the last resort.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How many tools do you carry in your car?

It's a Goldwing!!

Credit card and cell phone is more than enough.

Rayjoe
I always carry a toolbox in my cars when on the road.

Robert

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I’m not a wiz at repairs like some others but can do brake, tire, battery, headlight, relay repairs. I carry tools and first aid, by maybe the person that comes to help knows a thing or two.
Microstart XP1
Compressor
Plugs and old school tire repair kit
Flashlight
Zip ties
Duct tape strips that is flattened down for compact
Fuses
Lightbulbs
T wrench
1/4 sockets
Breaker bar for tires
Wood as a chuck or to pop on centerstand
First aid kit including tourniquet
Rope
Gloves
Reflectors
Paper and pen

That said, thankfully I haven’t had to use any of these items in isolated desolate areas. My crazy thinking is the minute I don’t have it...

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
https://pbase.com/fredharmon/tpatch

Swiss army knife is for bear encounter while camping. In case of a grizzly bear attack, open up the largest blade, and slit wrist.

This was an earlier kit.

I've now downsized to a smaller Kreiga tool roll.

Block of wood to use as front wheel jack, tire pressure gage, small flashlight, and just enough rope to hang myself with.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts