GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just read a thread about using a compressor in a lighter socket, it said that it would blow the fuse, has any one out there ever used one.
do i have to set something up different to use a compressor.
i want to take one with me on a trip, just in case.
thanks

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I wired my Battery Tender connector (generically called a two pin flat connector) directly to the battery using 16 gauge wire and a 15Amp inline fuse. Then I put a similar connector on my compressor. So now I have a plug under my battery cover that will accommodate the Battery Tender or a compressor.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I wired my Battery Tender connector (generically called a two pin flat connector) directly to the battery using 16 gauge wire and a 15Amp inline fuse. Then I put a similar connector on my compressor. So now I have a plug under my battery cover that will accommodate the Battery Tender or a compressor.
Did the same. A cigarette lighter in the left front pocket wired into the plug that lives in there will blow the fuse because it goes to a 5amp fuse in the fuse box. Either wire a connection like Travelinlite did or put one in the trunk wired with a 15 amp fuse directly to the battery.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The one that is commonly installed in the left pocket is wired, and fused low. Mine was 3amps, I heard others say 2 to 5 amp. At any rate that circuit won't handle a compressor.

I've used acompressor on a cigar lighter, but it has to be a heavy duty one. Actually the one I had was called a power outlet. Wired directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse, and ran it to the left rear pocket (there at the passenger seat).

I've also used, and I think it is the best method, a SAE plug as already mentioned, wired direct to the battery.

...louie

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The small Slime units come with clips to power straight off the battery and a clip that will fit the Battery Tender plug.The unit is small and fits in the CD compartment with lots of room to spare

·
Registered
86 Posts
i wired my compressor to plug into the leads for my optimate charger, same as travelinlite, nothing to remove for access and no extra wire or socket to install. works great.

·
Registered
19,052 Posts

Ditto. I use the SLIME compressor /small

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
This is a good way to do it. Another is to install a Powerlet where it can be most useful to you, for powering electric clothing etc using the same wiring scheme/philosophy. You can use Powerlet plugs to connect the tender, electric clothing, a compressor, etc. to the socket. The two wire connector that you mentioned is also called (by some) an SAE connector.

Tip: Installing the Powerlet socket on the battery cover serves as a tether to make it less likely that you will lose the cover when the rubber grommets turn loose.

·
Registered
589 Posts
In case one lacks access to important electrical information:

#10 wire can support a 30 amp fuse
#12 wire can support a 20 amp fuse
#14 wire can support a 15 amp fuse
#16 wire can support a 10 amp fuse

These ratings are from the National Electrical code.

YMMV

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:agree:Same here!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I use wire with 2 pin ASTM flat connectors for my compressor. The wire connected to the battery with an in-line mini blade fuse. Most of my add on wire for accessories is Teflon silicon since the wire manufacture is local. The wire is made for Marine & Aircraft use. I can put the wire in a butane torch flame without worrying about the insulation melting :thumbup:. It is very expensive if you purchase it as a retail store. $0.87 per foot for 16 gauge :22yikes:. It is in the column at the far right on the chart. Of course I get the wire cheap :bow:.
http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~wedeward/EE382/SP02/current_capacity.pdf

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've used my slime compressor right off the 12v accessory plug in the left pocket with no problem. Not sure what size the fuse is.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I've used my slime compressor right off the 12v accessory plug in the left pocket with no problem. Not sure what size the fuse is.
Not knowing the rating of the compressor in question, I think you were fortunate and suspect that the fuse is too heavy for the wire. You may be less fortunate the next time. This assumes (dangerous) that the accessory socket is the standard plug and play Honda version as opposed to a heavy duty aftermarket setup.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Why not just buy a couple alligator clips and put those on the compressor wires.

That way you can go direct off the battery, or use any battery, or hook to any power source. That way you have many options, and are not limited to a plug in or bent pin or blown fuses and so on.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
me too. And I have the alligator clips just in case

1 - 17 of 17 Posts