GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else ever had their GL1500/GL1800 flip or fall after having parked their bike in the Condor wheel chock. The reason for asking is that I bought the Condor wheel chock after seeing them at Wing Ding in July. I had my GL1500 parked in it in my garage with the cover over it while I was working in the garage. The bike had been in the chock for approximately 6-7 hours when my wife and I watched the bike flip out of the chock and lay on its side. It did not lay at the the normal 45 degree angle but was actually laying on its side ! ! !. Fortunately the only damage was a very minute mark on the left side saddle bag that rubbed out. I think the bike slowly leaned to the side until it built enough pressure while in the chock that it let loose and literally flipped out of the chock. I think the leaning went unnoticed because of the cover over the bike which also minimized the damage to the bike. In September I bought a new 1800. Last night I came home from work and rode the bike into the chock and after eating supper was summoned to the garage by my wife to find my new 1800 leaning against my Jeep in the garage. I think the Jeep kept the bike from again going over. No damage to the bike...minor marks on the Jeep. I have the back bracket in the second to last hole......I am befudded as to why this has happened and plan on contacting the makers of the Condor. I am interested it anyone else has experienced the same thing..... Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
wheel chock

I own 2 of the Condor chocks, one for the Wing and the other for the wife's Roadliner and no problems. Which chock do you own? The aluminum one or the SC2000 model. We own the SC2000, the base models. I had a 26" piece of 1" angle iron tack welded to the front to act as a brace as in the aluminum one and drilled some bolt holes on either side so I could use it on my m/c lift and bike trailer. You may consider this. Which hole do you have the wheel swivel lock? I have the Bushteck fender extension and use the second hole from the rear and the shorter end of the wheel lock is toward the bike. You may want to experiment around and see if you can use a more secure setting, but definitely weld that brace on the front.
Buck

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
My 1800 went over twice while in a Condor. I contacted them(3/05) and was told to send the unit back and they would refund price and shipping. I asked about damage and they would not make any restitution. They claimed that there was a problem with the bottom fork metal and that the fork would bend and let the bike fall and then spring back to its proper place. They claimed the problem was supposedly fixed and was due to a "quality control problem". I would not trust one of their units.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own the aluminum model with the added brace. I see the front of the chock has a adjustment.....I left it centered as from the factory. Do I maybe need to maybe lower or raise the front adjustment? I also have the rear adjustment in the second hole. I think I might start putting a strap on the front wheel when the bike is in the chock.....although that defeats the purpose of using the chock in the first place while the bike is park in the garage, I think it will be more secure. I wanted it so I could just drive the bike into the chock when both cars were parked in the garage. Using the side stand cause the bike to lean while near the cars in the garage making it difficult to get around the bike.

·
Registered
343 Posts
chock

if you look at the rear piece you see that when it is pinned in place one side of the cradle is longer than the other. Experiment around and see if you can put the longer side to the rear and also if moving the rear pin location either forward or backward will give additional grip on the tire. As mentioned previously, I use mine not only w/ the trailer (the bike is secured w/ 4 straps also) but on the Harbor Freight lift where there is no additional support, and have had no trouble. My first was purchased 2 years ago and the latest this year so maybe I avoided the QC problem.
Buck

·
Registered
20 Posts
CONDOR UNIT

I BOUGHT THE ALUMINUM UNIT FOR MY VTX1800. I ADJUSTED THE SPACING TO ACCEPT THE FRONT TIRE AND CAME OUT THE NEXT MORNING TO FIND THE VTX LAYING ON IT'S SIDE. SOOO... I HAVEN'T USED IT SINCE. MAY I SHOULD CONTACT THE MFG AND GET MY MONEY BACK!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts