GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my wing home tonight and put it in my Condor wheel chock and I could not get the bike out of it by myself. Are any of you guys using a wheel chock like this and if so what position do you have it set in? My Harley was easy to get out compared to the wing. I don't want to use the center stand I like the wheel chock better as it is easier on my finished garage floor.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Been there done that with my 2013.

Adjust the rear shoe forward so your wheel don’t drop down so far. It’s hard to lift the bike up and out. Really tough if the chock is not secured to the floor and just slides backward.

I picked up a few scrap pieces of 18x24 7075 aluminum sheeting I put on my epoxy floors under center stands on my bikes. Works great to protect the floor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We only use the condors in the trailer, but the 2018's backed out fine.

We have the pivot in 4th hole from back/2nd from the front when hauling the wings.
This is what I was looking for thanks. I had it in the 2nd to last form the back. I will trying moving it forward

·
Registered
808 Posts
Another 'hint'. Get a 1/4 inch pc of plywood and cut it down long ways to 2' X 8'. Mount the chock on it. That keeps it from sliding when going into or out of the chock. Also if you ever trailer it's simple to just p/u the chock, plywood & all, and place it in the trailer. Has worked for me for 20+ years.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

We have the pivot in 4th hole from back/2nd from the front when hauling the wings.
Hello Farmguy - When you say "from the back." Do you mean the 1st hole closest to where the motorcycle enters the Condor Chock. On my Condor that is now set up for my 2007 wing the pivot is set at the 3rd hole from the front (front meaning hole closest to the front of the trailer. I now have a 2019 Goldwing (Have not trailered it yet) and would like to readjust my pivot to the same hole position that you are using but I want to make sure we are speaking the same language. Thanks Steve

·
Registered
496 Posts
Got rid of my Condor after almost falling with my Wing trying to back it out over the hump in the garage. Changed to Wheeldock chock. Love it. just backs right out. Can easily use it in the garage or trailer. Hated my Condor.

wheeldock.com

Dan

Reactions: Dan P Smith

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Hello Farmguy - When you say "from the back." Do you mean the 1st hole closest to where the motorcycle enters the Condor Chock. On my Condor that is now set up for my 2007 wing the pivot is set at the 3rd hole from the front (front meaning hole closest to the front of the trailer. I now have a 2019 Goldwing (Have not trailered it yet) and would like to readjust my pivot to the same hole position that you are using but I want to make sure we are speaking the same language. Thanks Steve
The 'back' being the side of chock that the wheel enters from. Front being the location of the vertical post (which would also be front of trailer)

So, 2nd hole from the front (of the chock/trailer) / 4th hole from the back (of chock/trailer).

If you move yours one more towards the front it will be what I'm using.

On the off chance that not all Condor models/generations (pit stop model vs trailer only model are the ones I'm aware of) are made the same, the intent is to have the pivot go 'over-centre' to trap the wheel -- but not to have the front of the cradle on the ground.
This way the load of the wheel is carried by the cradle, and the front post is preventing the wheel from rolling further ahead.

If the cradle is touching the ground the squeeze effect (between cradle and front post) is reduced (or eliminated), eventually to the point that the wheel can roll ahead/back a little.

So, the pivot is as far back as possible, while the front portion of cradle does not touch the floor when the wheel is in the chock.

The condor I have is the 'trailer only' model rather the 'Pit Stop' model.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The 'back' being the side of chock that the wheel enters from. Front being the location of the vertical post (which would also be front of trailer)

So, 2nd hole from the front (of the chock/trailer) / 4th hole from the back (of chock/trailer).

On the off chance that not all Condor models/generations (pit stop model vs trailer only model are the ones I'm aware of) are made the same, the intent is to have the pivot go 'over-centre' to trap the wheel -- but not to have the front of the cradle on the ground.
This way the load of the wheel is carried by the cradle, and the front post is preventing the wheel from rolling further ahead.

If the cradle is touching the ground the squeeze effect (between cradle and front post) is reduced (or eliminated), eventually to the point that the wheel can roll ahead/back a little.

So, the pivot is as far back as possible, while the front portion of cradle does not touch the floor when the wheel is in the chock.

Sounds like a plan - Thank you for your help! Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Mine is 4th from the back and 3rd from the front. I must have an extra hole

·
Registered
190 Posts

Thanks I was going to start experimenting for the proper setting soon! By chance are using the Goldstrike tie down mounts? If so any feed back?

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
We are using soft straps looped over the link arms for front end (similar to looping over the bottom clamp on triple tree on prev gen).

We have E-track on floor, which allows tie rings to be place anywhere along track.

I like to have strap pulling forward as well as sideways, and of course the traps need to be in a location that isn't going to result in a rub on the bodywork.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts