GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am picking up my new 06' Goldwing Airbag Model on Tuesday afternoon - very, very pumped and excited... Been reading my multiple owners manuals - got three with this bike - the standard manual, a special manual supplement for the airbag model and the ubiquitous Navigation System Manual...

So my question is:

All this stuff - the navigation system, cool color maps, sound system, and all the other gadgets -- sure seems like these things could easily be a distraction while driving!

I have never owned a motorcycle that had anything more elaborate than a speedometer, tachometer and gas guage. I can't wait to play with all the gadgets, but I am leery of allowing my attention to be distracted even for a moment from driving with complete focus...

Has this issue been a problem for any of you guys/gals?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
97 Posts
You already know the most important part - pay attention to what's most important - you and the bike. So long as you remember that you will be okay. The technology is neat and fun to play with - do that while parked. Situational awareness is what will keep you alive to enjoy your bike. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
It can be distracting - especially the NAV screen - it's cool to watch. But you have to stay disciplined and it's not really that bad. Just like a speedometer, all the gadgets are just tools. Use them appropriately and when you are riding focus on riding.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Only thing that should concern you while riding is your speed, RPM's and fuel reserves.

All the other stuff is learned and played with in your garage or when you are stopped enroute.

Pretty much when you get the learning curce complete, you set your bike up to your likeing and you probaly won't fool with much after that.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
when I picked up my '03. After I got it home I sat on it for a couple of hours just memorizing were all the buttons and switches are, so I can access everything and anything without taking my eyes off the road. It also comes in handy at night when you can't see anything :lol:

But, first things first..........drive the bike, play with "stuff" afterwards.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Congrats, Brian...

I hope the ice melts a bunch tomorrow. Were still iced in here in Tulsa. Did you get your Wing from Cycle City? Seem to be good people.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thoughts -

I was tortured so to speak on Saturday - was able to go by the dealer - they had it ready - got to sit on it and play with the gadgets for a few minutes -- BUT

Have to wait till Tuesday to pick it up!! :cry: - had another obligation and there was still snow and ice on some roads in my area - didn't relish the idea of my very first Goldwing drive running into ice on the road!

Things are looking dry and clean for Tuesday though! :p

B

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
davidmc said:
Congrats, Brian...

I hope the ice melts a bunch tomorrow. Were still iced in here in Tulsa. Did you get your Wing from Cycle City? Seem to be good people.
No - I purchased my Wing from Oklahoma Honda/Suzuki in Del City - we had previously bought a Suzuki RM85 for my son from them - they also seem to be honest decent people...

There was a bit of snow and ice here and there today - but I would say 95% clean roads - I actually went for a ride today on my V-Strom - didn't see a single other motorcycle though --- hmmm... I might be a bit nuts - well the sun was out and it HEATED up to 34 degrees! Anyone looking for a great deal on a 2006 V-Strom DL1000 with tons of farkles? Let me know!! :wink:

B

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Now the important question...what color is it Brian?

Dep

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dep said:
Now the important question...what color is it Brian?

Dep
2006 "Dark Red" - love the color - only farkle so far is the fog lights with protective cover!

B

·
15 year Member
6,907 Posts
I even went as far as to lay my wind on its side, so if I drop it I will still be on top of where all the buttons are, while I wait for help to arrive... but thats just me..

Matt(Ashland,MA) :a13:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I just have an old Garmin 276C taped to the handle bar, but I understand you can't do much with the nav. system while the bike is moving. You have to stop to access much of the system. Which is a good thing.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
The wing because of all it's amenities does perspectively have a lot of distractions. The key is attention management, only check them with a quick glance while running, do not focus on any of them. With a radio, cb, radar detector, maybe an ipod, and or other endless possible accessory combinations, distraction could be a problem if you allow it to. As for the nav, enable the voice prompts and don't fixate on that purty screen. Terry

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
What's a manual? Isn't it that thing you read after you ride awhile and can't figure out what something is??

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
S&W Triker said:
What's a manual? Isn't it that thing you read after you ride awhile and can't figure out what something is??
Bathroom reading material :lol:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I ran off the BRP last year while fiddling with my GPS and gawking at an overlook. I was very fortunate to do this in a place that was level enough to ride out. Could have been a real day buster.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
S&W Triker said:

I hear you - dealer gave me all the manuals and stuff to look at before I pick-up the bike on Tuesday!

I am very excited - can't wait!

Brian

·
Registered
260 Posts
Brian, congratulations on your new ride. If you need a destination, come South and we can hook up for some back country riding.

I hear your concern for attention on the driving. I used a map holder on the gas tank of my first Goldwing. (1200) I did not do well with that set up. I would take my eyes off the road too much when in a spot I had to make a decision on which road to turn off on. I finally would stop to look down but still looked down too much while moving.

·
Registered
115 Posts
But wait! There's More...

:idea: I have found a very good use for the moving Nav map. I set the view to include both the map and the info display. I glance at the map periodically to make not of upcoming intersections. The display gives me a heads up as to the relative size of the intersecting road (side road, state highway, multi-lane, etc.) and how soon to start watching for it.

I have found this to be very useful on back roads where you may encounter an intersection just around a blind curve. Just my thoughts on it--YMMV.

Cheers,
Chris and Helen

1 - 20 of 37 Posts