GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I took my Goodyear off and put a brand new Metz on the rear. Just wanted to scuff it in so it would be ready to roll whenever I might need it.

Friday and today I scuffed it to the tune of 625 miles of N. Ga. mountain roads.

While I love a CT on the "Big Girl" I had forgotten how good a new motto tire feels in the twisties. Before you start flaming, yes, the CT will handle curves just fine. I've got about 70k miles on CTs and have never had a complaint.

I was wicking it up both days, more than I have in quite a while. And, to me, that's where my preference changes. I've ridden my 8/10ths on the CT and it was good. But it seems that my 8/10ths just comes easier with the motto tire.

Regarding front tires, I'll join the crowd by saying that the Stone 709 is my favorite for mountain riding.

I hope I don't lose my Darkside number because of my confession.;) Am I a "Darksider Lite"?:lol:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me. If I lived where you do, I would probably keep a C/T on a spare wheel for the LONG hauls. .......Don

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
I hope I don't lose my Darkside number because of my confession.;) Am I a "Darksider Lite"?:lol:
Naaa,

I'd say you're just a "well rounded, intelligent, versatile, competent motorcyclist" !!:bow::bow::bow: And is secure enough to know what he likes.

You blaze the trail for the rest of us Trialsman !!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I was hoping that you would keep your car tire on so I could keep up with you

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Hmmm......... Sounds to me like the light is on..... but ain't nobody home. :joke::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
:agree: Trailsman...I have quite a few miles on C/T's also but, like you, I still like the feel of a new M/T also. Like putting a power steering unit on the bike! I have found that when I raised my tire pressure up to 32 psi it will handle a bit more like the M/T in the sense that it becomes easier to lay into a turn. If I could find a M/T that rode as smooth, lasted as long, and provided the feeling of security as my run flat does then I would probably stay on a M/T. Yeah...right! Like I'm gonna find one anytime soon!

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Paul,

I'm like you. I MUCH prefer the MT in the twisties, but since I have to go 400+ miles to get to the twisties, 99% of the time, I run a CT.

As soon as I get my new powder coated rims on, my spare rear wheel is going to get a new "shoe" and I'm going to park it at Charlie's house so I'll have it when I make a run for the mountains. ;)

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
Paul,
Good for you :smile: ! It's been so long since I've rode with a rear MT that I can't remember what it's like. I don't try to scrap all the chrome off of my engine guards so I'm happy and satisfied with my CT without the desire to switch back and forth. You guys that do....more power to you :smile: !
You can keep your Darksider number as long as you don't show up at the "2nd. Annual Darkside Gathering" with one of those old round MT's :shock: ! hahahahaha

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sitting here stomping my feet wishing I could put the 175 on your bike and have you ride it now...
I got one, Tom. My Goodyear is a long way from worn out, so, I may have to get another trike take-off so I have a rim to put it on. Looking forward to feeling the diff.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Paul.This isn't a flame at all..I have this said countless times on message boards and to you personally...We all feel different things sitting behind the handle bars and like different things in terms of what we each call "handling" from our bikes..

I know exactly what a MT feels like and I still have a new MT mounted on a spare wheel,It is going to get old from being left in my garage from lack of use before I put them slippery suckaz on the back of my bike again..

One of the reasons I went to a CT is because the way I use my throttlein the twistys..I just couldn't stand how the rear MT would skip out on me when I was in a tight twisty...

No CT ever lost traction on me from the way I ride..Knowing what I do about not all CT's are created equal.The only brand that would "wiggle" on me was the Conti's,But they never lost grip!!

I guess that after the 6 CT's I've run,My bike does feel like I have power steering..
After all I can still enjoy riding one handed on the weekends when the joy riders are on my favorite roads..

While I know that you and possibly a couple others like to swap to a MT if you want to play in the mountains-Personally I just don't see the need..:shrug:
But that is just me,no one has to agree with me..:doorag:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I suppose I am totally corrupted. I actually prefer the CT to the MT tire. I rode a bike with the MT this past week. A friend left his bike to have a Voltage Regulator installed and I took it for a short ride around the block and was afraid I might have to learn to ride all over again. For sure a totally different deal. I suppose I have came to really trust the CT, and if the road was wet I would be riding like Grandma on a MT.

Kit

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rocky, no flame taken. I think I know the difference in our riding styles. You roll it on hard coming out of turns to get speed. I don't because I never slow down for them.;):lol::lol::lol:

Just kidding, kind of. I don't power out of turns. I roll in on slightly but don't grab a handful like I'm sure you do. Normally, I try to go at as fast as I'm corfortable with out braking going into the turn. I use throttle and gearing to adjust entry speed. Then, I throttle out just enough to increase my speed, but not so much as I would have to brake for the next turn.

When I talk about my 8/10ths, that's a little different. I due power out hard but not as hard as I can. I do need to brake and settle the suspensiion before the turn, but I don't have to brake real hard.

I'm too old to do anything above 8/10ths anymore. That would require hanging off and gets to be work.;)

Sure hope you and I can ride together sometime. I got a spare room and a big garage for you anytime you want to see some "real" twisties.:joke:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I have had the pleasure of following Trialsman or I should say trying to follow Trailsman through the twisties. Just so any newbies don't get hurt, Paul's and my ideas of 8/10th riding is vastly different. I think my 8/10ths might be Paul's 4/10ths. Paul, maybe you should re-run your 1 through 10/10ths riding post again.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had the pleasure of following Trialsman or I should say trying to follow Trailsman through the twisties. Just so any newbies don't get hurt, Paul's and my ideas of 8/10th riding is vastly different. I think my 8/10ths might be Paul's 4/10ths. Paul, maybe you should re-run your 1 through 10/10ths riding post again.

Thanks, Ray, but you left out the fact that I ride twisties all the time and you are a "Flatlander". ;) Playing in one's own back yard is a BIG advantage.

Plus, if I remember correctly, you had on that big flat CT, which we all know doesn't turn very well.:lol:Get your butt down here and we'll go carve some corners.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts