GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a flatlander. Born and bred. Practically every day of my 53 years of riding has been on rifle-barrel straight and level roads. I love to ride through peaceful scenic country and that has always been my main joy in riding.

I’ve had friends tell me to come to their neck of the woods so they can show me some interesting roads. They don’t understand when I tell them that I’ve already got Interstate 10 which is an interesting road. Matter of fact, 3 Eagles recently related a factoid that the closest thing to a curve in my area is a freeway on-ramp.

I occasionally ride curvy roads with friends but not on a regular basis, and I’ve never ridden them long enough to become accustomed to it.

Imagine my surprise when during my recent Northwestern Swing trip with 3 Eagles, ssncob, and 1 Big Skeeter I found myself white-knuckling the handlebars because Jeff, our ride planner/leader routed me onto some mountain roads. It was kinda sorta fun until we got on a road going to Mount Rushmore that I swear was filled with 540º uphill off-camber decreasing-radius switchbacks with drop-offs on either side.

Anyway, we rode enough twisty roads that I eventually lost some of the fear of leaning the bike. I enjoyed Chief Joseph and Beartooth. Jeff eventually led us Lewiston, Idaho where he had mapped out the “Spiral Staircase”, a 7-mile road climbing up the tallest hill in the area where it ended in a great scenic overlook.

I was following Jeff, who is an admitted corner-carving adrenalin junkie who occasionally drops Murgie’s name just to intimidate me. Jeff’s 2018 and my 2012 are both Traxxioned, and I decided to try to keep him in sight. I figured that as long as I could mimic his lines and speeds I should be OK. I’m pretty sure that he took it easy on me, but I had a blast! I found that the Traxxion-equipped 2012 has a lot more ground clearance than did my former 2006, and I was able to lean MUCH farther! I drug the pegs only 3 or 4 times both up and down that hill.

I had read and heard many times- Trust your tires, and if you think you are going in too hot, lean harder and gas it. It seems counterintuitive, but so far so good. However, I won't be doing this again without adult supervision.

Now I get it. This was fun! I don’t have the experience to be able to ride a strange road at speed by myself without an experienced rider to follow, but it was fun while it lasted. Now I’m back in Texas, but I’ll give those interstate on-ramps hell.

·
Registered
White 2018 DCT Tour
781 Posts
Jeans Sky Trousers Travel Smile

It was a fun ride. Here is a shot of the gang at the top of that hill.

Ride Safe,
Jeff

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Sounds like Baptism by fire Glen :eek:

·
Registered
2012 ABS GL1800 Traxxion
221 Posts
The Lewiston Hill is fun, I have ridden it many times and the view up top is great. I wish I had know you guys were in this area of the country. There is a neat road going out of the east end of Grangeville ID that runs down into the Clearwater River canyon and comes out at Hiway 12 at Kooskia which runs from Lewiston to Missoula. I always drag the pegs on my 12 Traxxion bike on that grade and my wife slaps me on the helmet when that happens LOL. Glad you you had a great ride.

·
Administrator
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like Baptism by fire Glen :eek:
Yes it was! However I am a firm believer in riding your own ride. All of us talked at the start of the trip about riding to suit ourselves, and not riding out of our comfort zone either too slow or fast. I had slowly acclimated myself to increasingly twisty roads, and finally decided to go for broke!

Glen

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,200 Posts
I found that the Traxxion-equipped 2012 has a lot more ground clearance than did my former 2006,
Sounds like Y'all had a great time, I'm a bit jealous. I'm in Florida so I get the straight and flat, although we used to enjoy riding to the mountains as it was sooooo different. This is my third Gen 5 Wing and the first to have full Traxxion suspension, I can lean it considerably further than my first two Wings.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The Lewiston Hill is fun, I have ridden it many times and the view up top is great. I wish I had know you guys were in this area of the country. There is a neat road going out of the east end of Grangeville ID that runs down into the Clearwater River canyon and comes out at Hiway 12 at Kooskia which runs from Lewiston to Missoula. I always drag the pegs on my 12 Traxxion bike on that grade and my wife slaps me on the helmet when that happens LOL. Glad you you had a great ride.
Ahhh, Grangeville, Idaho. I fondly recall visiting there. :)

A gas station there has a very good fire extinguisher, which they generously lent me when in May, 2019, my ‘14 BMW R1200RT caught fire.

The RT was replaced with a new ‘19 DCT Tour Wing, and here’s where I ended up. (y)

Tim

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I currently live in Kansas, far from the curvy roads of the majority of my riding years so I can now picture the majority of your riding years. Tomorrow I'm riding ~3 hours in a direction I've been told has a curve. Fingers crossed!

Be careful charging those on/off ramps. Lotta gravel kicked up from the sides.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Super twisty roads aren’t my cup of tea. I find them too much busy work for my liking. My best friend built a cabin up in Alpine, Az and I’ve driven and ridden up there a zillion times. I much prefer to ride the Az 78 and Az 180 through NM to Alpine than the Az 191 to Alpine that most people think is fun. I think it’s also better scenery. To each their own. I like to be relaxed enough riding that I can enjoy the scenery a little.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Super twisty roads aren’t my cup of tea. I find them too much busy work for my liking. My best friend built a cabin up in Alpine, Az and I’ve driven and ridden up their a zillion times. I much prefer to ride the Az 78 and Az 180 through NM to Alpine than the Az 191 to Alpine that most people think is fun. I think it’s also better scenery. To each their own. I like to be relaxed enough riding that I can enjoy the scenery a little.
It's definately a compromise. Gotta love a bit of both.

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,656 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
How about identifying who's who in the pic please? I like to put faces with screen names here. Thank you!

·
Administrator
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Super twisty roads aren’t my cup of tea. I find them too much busy work for my liking. My best friend built a cabin up in Alpine, Az and I’ve driven and ridden up their a zillion times. I much prefer to ride the Az 78 and Az 180 through NM to Alpine than the Az 191 to Alpine that most people think is fun. I think it’s also better scenery. To each their own. I like to be relaxed enough riding that I can enjoy the scenery a little.
I too prefer the scenery over the long haul. I really did enjoy the adrenalin rush once in a while, but not as a steady diet.

Reactions: schnits

·
Administrator
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about identifying who's who in the pic please? I like to put faces with screen names here. Thank you!
Left the right-

Big tall fella is 1 Big Skeeter, Brian Norwood
Second in line is the ride leader/route planner 3 Eagles, Jeff Head
The handsome, barely senior citizen is Glockjock, Glen Kenney
Last but not least is our Tennessee Connection, Master Chief ssncob, Jerry Wells

Couldn't have asked for nicer guys with whom to ride! 7000 miles and 15 days, and they even offered 3 seperate times to take me to the train station in Yellowstone. 😂

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Glad you had fun. Woo Hoo!
One key on the twisties, especially in a group... is to keep your eyes UP! Don;t fixate on the bike or bikes ahead. Ride like you are alone and aim to the exit of the turn, even if it's a long way around. Just keep adjusting.
Have seen too many times where riders go off the road in a sweeping turn. Not keeping your eyes up, or too much looking around will throw one off the apex's.
We have lots of twisties here where I live. After decades of riding, I still practice. And I'm rarely a crazy carver, but love to twist!
One thrill after a long succession of of twists is realizing you actually nailed "all" the apex's! 😜 Any missed... more practice!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
This is absolutely unfair @Glockjock. As I read your post I started to drool on my keyboard. That sounds like a great time! I just got back from Mt. Rushmore a few weeks ago and I had a great time riding Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road. Both of those had some "interesting" corners.

I've been looking at the photo, and I don't see the "handsome, barely senior" fellow. To me it looked like a really old guy second from the right. :).

So who was the adult in this group that kept the rest of you in line?

·
Administrator
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Murgie, I will
Glenn, you and Jeff coming up for Tom's Memorial first of October? Would love to ride with you guys, now that you are able to run spirited paces. Glad you had a good time.
Murgie, I remember meeting you twice before up there for Boomer's Memorial, for you are one of the legends! I'll be there again. I'd love to buy you coffee and talk till the cows come home. I've seen what you do to a set of tires so I'll be content with talking!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts