GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not having any problems with my bike but after listening to a few other conversations Im confused on specifics to the Honda Factory Warranty that comes with the bike..

Am I required to contact Honda some how and notify them I purchased one of their bikes along with a when and what dealership?

I just assumed if I had a warranty issue I needed to take the bike back to the dealer and waited to be called to pick it up when ready.

Twice this week I followed two different people saying you had to contact Honda and register your bike with your VIN in order to be in their system if a warranty matter ever comes along….can some one set the record strait please?

·
Premium Member
19,614 Posts
Three year transferable unlimited mileage warranty.

You can take to any dealer

If you bought bike new you do not need to register anything. Mother knows who you are

Some BS dealers will put bikes purchased at their dealerships in front of others for repair

The better dealers do first in first out

There are very good dealers & some not so good

My experience is the smaller the dealer the worse the repair dept is

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
2021 6sp non tour
73 Posts
Shades of grey. There is no doubt a definition somewhere about exactly what the Honda warranty covers and the circumstances under which Honda would repair/replace your bike and cover some or all of any costs incurred. Finding and fixing that fault. BUT I think it depends a lot on which country you live in, even the state (lemon law?), the dealer you choose and even then the personalities at that dealership. And it depends upon our attitude too.

There are many laws and Trading Standards about goods being fit for sale, safe, road worthy blah blah blah so as a customer the law is behind us expecting our bikes to basically work well from the start and be free of major faults.

If it gets really bad then you are looking at lawyers and litigation, probably.

When a dealership is spending time diagnosing a fault it’s costing them money, especially a fault that is electrical and maybe hard to repeat (on test ride). I believe they have to try and claim back from Honda for the parts/time spent on your bike otherwise it costs them. That’s what I think is meant by registering a claim with Honda. i.e. Honda pick up the tab.

Example. My HSA light was playing up, on my new 2021 6sp, dealer is about 80 miles away from me. I contacted the dealership, explained respectfully and calmly why I was a bit disappointed, I spoke to the manager who was very concerned and over the next few days a number of conversations then took place. I was also allowed to speak with the head mechanic (their idea BTW) over the phone to explain exactly what the fault was, he too was very reassuring that they would fix it, he was not dismissive at all and he had clearly researched GW forums. I could just tell by the way the conversation went. Dealer sent a van to collect, they had it about a fortnight (but I told them I was in no rush at all). I had the managers personal mobile and he told me to contact him anytime for updates. Bike came back (tied down properly and carefully each way BTW). While there I had the 1st service done and a main stand (pre-ordered) fitted. No charge. At all. For any of it.

So far all sorted, I believe it was clutch switch.

Its horrible when owners have bad experiences with their bikes, I read them too HoldenIron. Not all dealers are bad though. I have been using my Honda dealer for about 5 or 6 years now and the service given me has been first class.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,340 Posts
Its disappointing to read that the 2021 models are still suffering from the HSA failures ....was hoping Honda would had worked that issue out...but it seems Honda would rather replace a 15 dollar switch every time instead of fiquring out and fixing the reason the issue is happening in the first place.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,340 Posts
Some BS dealers will put bikes purchased at their dealerships in front of others for repair
Why shouldn't a dealer put thier customers that bought the bike from them in front of the line..makes sense to me that a local dealer will take care of the loyal customer who buys from them instead of going to a discount dealer 800 miles away ...if you expect VIP service from your local dealer, then buy your bike from your local dealer.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Yea, I too, would be very disappointed in my dealership, that I have purchase two $28,000 -30,000 thousand dollars machines, plus all my bells & whistles, and brought them many other customers.. and found that they put my repairs behind other's ......Very disappointed!!!

Ronnie

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
818 Posts
Why shouldn't a dealer put thier customers that bought the bike from them in front of the line..makes sense to me that a local dealer will take care of the loyal customer who buys from them instead of going to a discount dealer 800 miles away ...if you expect VIP service from your local dealer, then buy your bike from your local dealer.
On the flip side of that, an owner who is on the road has a mechanical problem and comes to that dealer for a repair. He has to spend an extra few days in local motels while the dealer does oil changes or installs puddle lights for customers who bought their bikes there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess you have issues with the free market system. What about a person that buys used? Or moves to the area? Are they supposed to be continually dropped behind others who bring theirs in? That mentality is just driving potential customers to that cheaper dealer.

·
Vendor
19,214 Posts
Im not having any problems with my bike but after listening to a few other conversations Im confused on specifics to the Honda Factory Warranty that comes with the bike..

Am I required to contact Honda some how and notify them I purchased one of their bikes along with a when and what dealership?

I just assumed if I had a warranty issue I needed to take the bike back to the dealer and waited to be called to pick it up when ready.

Twice this week I followed two different people saying you had to contact Honda and register your bike with your VIN in order to be in their system if a warranty matter ever comes along….can some one set the record strait please?
Honda already knows who owns your Wing. There should be no reason to call Honda of America. With very few exception, all warranty repaira are done by Honda dealers. If your Wing is under warranty, and you have an issue, contact the Honda dealer of your choice. When you check your Wing in for repair, you should always leave with a copy of your work order. The warranty follows the VIN, it does not follow you. So your neighbor, or your Wings newest owner, can check your Wing in for repair. When you sell your Wing, Honda will know who the new owner is. If you get an answer you are not happy with, or the dealer that you take your Wing to for repair does not write up a work order, and think they should, I would then call Honda.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On the flip side of that, an owner who is on the road has a mechanical problem and comes to that dealer for a repair. He has to spend an extra few days in local motels while the dealer does oil changes or installs puddle lights for customers who bought their bikes there.
I was recently did a 5600 mile trip on my new 21 DCT Tour, I pulled into The Dalles Oregon, I"m from IL, and was 4 miles short of being due my first oil change. Went to the Honda dealer to get the oil changed, the service dept said they could get me in in a couple days. I explained I was on a trip and was wanting to leave town the next day. He said hold on let me talk to the machanics, came back and said they will take care of you now, said they like taking of people traveling thru. I just happened to have bought my first bike there in 1966, it was '67 Super Hawk, the dealership was not the same owners.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was recently did a 5600 mile trip on my new 21 DCT Tour, I pulled into The Dalles Oregon, I"m from IL, and was 4 miles short of being due my first oil change. Went to the Honda dealer to get the oil changed, the service dept said they could get me in in a couple days. I explained I was on a trip and was wanting to leave town the next day. He said hold on let me talk to the machanics, came back and said they will take care of you now, said they like taking care of people traveling thru. I just happened to have bought my first bike there in 1966, it was '67 Super Hawk, the dealership was not the same owners.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I guess you have issues with the free market system. What about a person that buys used? Or moves to the area? Are they supposed to be continually dropped behind others who bring theirs in? That mentality is just driving potential customers to that cheaper dealer.
Gents, what you are discussing is discrimination, pure and simple, no matter the driving mechanism. As GWG so astutely reminds us, warranty follows VIN, and has nothing to do with you personally. So, no need to play the victim card, or even the entitled card. Bought it here? Thanks, we keep the lights on for another few days, and pay staff. Bought it elsewhere? Fine, we make more money in the service department anyway. Gotta wait? Get in line with everybody else. We [should] treat all folks equally.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I can understand having to wait for a service appointment for local bikes. The good dealers will try to fit people who are traveling in for any service if possible. Example if you are traveling from coast to coast don’t just show up and expect service, call ahead.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My thoughts exactly. It's been my life experience ( not just with bikes ) that a dealer WILL put the "guy stuck on the road" before almost ANY other repair. My thoughts...............guy stuck ON THE ROAD is WAAY inconvenienced already. ( time and $$$ ) The local guy ( me ) has to wait an extra day or two ?? So what. Of course.

·
Vendor
19,214 Posts
As a reminder ... because of COVID, at least in my area, the Power Sports service industry in general is overwelmed with work. Here is what happened here. When COVID hit, and people wanted to get away from their homes, everything that was in the garage that was not running, needed to get running. All that stuff, coupled with everyone riding more to get away, and all that stuff needs repair and maintence. Also, everything in the showrooms that are desirable to sell is all sold ... so all m/c, side-by-sides, Waverunners that would normally be sitting there, are now being rode and need sevice and repair too.

Also, like the news says, employees are upgrading to better jobs. For better pay, the m/c mechanic has transissioned into the automotive repair feild, and the auto mechanic has transissioned to repairing semi-trucks, and the simi-truck guy has gone to A&P school to become an air-craft mechanic. OH ... and the burger flipper who was working at Mc'Ds is now the oil change guy doing GW oil changes.

At my shop, I have at least 2 months+ worth of work on my waiting list. I have a local who is 2 away from getting an 8k service on his 2018. He stops in at least every week for an update. He's been 2 away from getting a call to come in for several weeks.

Certainly shops with more employees are far more flexible.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Honda already knows who owns your Wing. There should be no reason to call Honda of America. With very few exception, all warranty repaira are done by Honda dealers. If your Wing is under warranty, and you have an issue, contact the Honda dealer of your choice. When you check your Wing in for repair, you should always leave with a copy of your work order. The warranty follows the VIN, it does not follow you. So your neighbor, or your Wings newest owner, can check your Wing in for repair. When you sell your Wing, Honda will know who the new owner is. If you get an answer you are not happy with, or the dealer that you take your Wing to for repair does not write up a work order, and think they should, I would then call Honda.
This is what I've always assumed also. And it doesn't matter what dealer you take it to. A COMPANY-wide warranty is just that. Good at ANY dealer. Although some dealers don't like to deal with that for whatever reason(s) they have.

I'd like to ask GoldwingBoy a question. I hope he answers. Tell me where I'm right or wrong. For bikes UNDER WARRANTY .............regardless of location....... I'm stuck away from home in Timbukto ........................... doesn't Mother Honda pay that dealer ALL of the costs regarding that repair ??

This has been my assumption my entire life.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
In these crazy times, I'd never tell a repair shop you're in no hurry to get your repair done. You might be able to buy a 2030 Wing before they get to your bike

Its disappointing to read that the 2021 models are still suffering from the HSA failures ....was hoping Honda would had worked that issue out...but it seems Honda would rather replace a 15 dollar switch every time instead of fiquring out and fixing the reason the issue is happening in the first place.
Shades of grey. There is no doubt a definition somewhere about exactly what the Honda warranty covers and the circumstances under which Honda would repair/replace your bike and cover some or all of any costs incurred. Finding and fixing that fault. BUT I think it depends a lot on which country you live in, even the state (lemon law?), the dealer you choose and even then the personalities at that dealership. And it depends upon our attitude too.

There are many laws and Trading Standards about goods being fit for sale, safe, road worthy blah blah blah so as a customer the law is behind us expecting our bikes to basically work well from the start and be free of major faults.

If it gets really bad then you are looking at lawyers and litigation, probably.

When a dealership is spending time diagnosing a fault it’s costing them money, especially a fault that is electrical and maybe hard to repeat (on test ride). I believe they have to try and claim back from Honda for the parts/time spent on your bike otherwise it costs them. That’s what I think is meant by registering a claim with Honda. i.e. Honda pick up the tab.

Example. My HSA light was playing up, on my new 2021 6sp, dealer is about 80 miles away from me. I contacted the dealership, explained respectfully and calmly why I was a bit disappointed, I spoke to the manager who was very concerned and over the next few days a number of conversations then took place. I was also allowed to speak with the head mechanic (their idea BTW) over the phone to explain exactly what the fault was, he too was very reassuring that they would fix it, he was not dismissive at all and he had clearly researched GW forums. I could just tell by the way the conversation went. Dealer sent a van to collect, they had it about a fortnight (but I told them I was in no rush at all). I had the managers personal mobile and he told me to contact him anytime for updates. Bike came back (tied down properly and carefully each way BTW). While there I had the 1st service done and a main stand (pre-ordered) fitted. No charge. At all. For any of it.

So far all sorted, I believe it was clutch switch.

Its horrible when owners have bad experiences with their bikes, I read them too HoldenIron. Not all dealers are bad though. I have been using my Honda dealer for about 5 or 6 years now and the service given me has been first class.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I was recently did a 5600 mile trip on my new 21 DCT Tour, I pulled into The Dalles Oregon, I"m from IL, and was 4 miles short of being due my first oil change. Went to the Honda dealer to get the oil changed, the service dept said they could get me in in a couple days. I explained I was on a trip and was wanting to leave town the next day. He said hold on let me talk to the machanics, came back and said they will take care of you now, said they like taking of people traveling thru. I just happened to have bought my first bike there in 1966, it was '67 Super Hawk, the dealership was not the same owners.

Similarly, I was in California on my wing. 2000 Wing. I pulled into a Honda dealership at 2:30 p.m. I just wanted an oil change. That's it. Guy said they close at 3:00 pm. I said OK and was ready to be on my way. He walked me out and saw the New York plates. Asked me if I rode all the way out. I said of course. They changed the oil. My experience is that MOST people in many walks of life will bend a bit more for people away from home. Their ( travelers ) time is more precious and finite.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Gents, what you are discussing is discrimination, pure and simple, no matter the driving mechanism. As GWG so astutely reminds us, warranty follows VIN, and has nothing to do with you personally. So, no need to play the victim card, or even the entitled card. Bought it here? Thanks, we keep the lights on for another few days, and pay staff. Bought it elsewhere? Fine, we make more money in the service department anyway. Gotta wait? Get in line with everybody else. We [should] treat all folks equally.

Get ready MODS..............I'll be as 'open' and 'nice' as I can here without incurring your wrath. It's just my opinion. And sometimes even opinions incur one's wrath. No malice here. Just my opinion. nobody has to agree with it. ( as an aside...... must one always clarify in this super touchy world we're currently in ?? )

FloridaBoy, You're dead wrong on this. Dead wrong. No wiggle-room whatsoever. Discrimination ?!???!? ALL situations are NOT equal/the same. In reality, almost NO situations are the same.
A one-size-fits-all simply does not work ALL the time.

Boy, I ALWAYS try to put myself in the other person's shoes. Any situation. I am NOT a bleeding heart. Trust me. In THIS situation.............if a traveler has broken down and is placed before me ?? So what ??

·
Chard Member
13,103 Posts

If you buy a used bike it’s a good idea to contact Honda customer service. If you buy new Honda has your info.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts